Florida Dyno Tech day

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first showed up at Kyle's, (the last picture) Was the first thing I saw. I new this was the spot:punk::punk::punk::punk:

(from his first pic post)

Man this really all makes me miss my bike, my friends and the FL weather! So wish I could've been there to put my Max on that dyno too..

Great fun.

Rich, waayyy too lean. Won't hurt anything and you should be getting very good fuel mileage but it's losing a lot of power like that.

Sean

What do you think is making it that lean ? It's bone-ass stock, except for the exhaust endcaps being drilled out. Floats, jets, needles - all stock settings. Mileage isn't anything to brag about, but all I do is short trips around home, no highway miles. Do you think I need to fatten up the pilot screws & shim the needles, or should jets be changed ? I'm literally "at" sea level. I'd love to buy a Kerker from Kyle - his sounded FANTASTIC - & your jet kit, but I just can't swing it right now. It feels great when I ride - no flat spots or sags, but like anybody else, I'd hate to leave any horsepower on the table if all I need to do is a little tuning. All these years I've been trying to keep cars at about 14.7 to 1 to meet emissions - squeezing extra hp out of a bike is new to me, but I'm all ears...:ummm:

The bike will make it's best power in the 12.7-13.3 A/F range. You'll need to change the main jet and do other adjustments though you might be able to simply change the PAJ2 which we have seen change the broadest rpm range effected. You'll want to make it smaller.

Sean

One more thing - a great big :You_Rock: to jbretthorton for letting me ride his 2010 VMAX . What an awesome machine !!! I was eyeballing it - never would have dreamed of asking if I could ride it - & he walks up & asks " Do you want to take it out for a spin ? " HELL YEAH :punk: You're the MAN Brett !

Last edited:
The bike will make it's best power in the 12.7-13.3 A/F range. You'll need to change the main jet and do other adjustments though you might be able to simply change the PAJ2 which we have seen change the broadest rpm range effected. You'll want to make it smaller.

Sean
On the whole rpm range?
Bone stock? :ummm:

I like to see higher A/F readings in the low Rpm's and 17-18 at low loads is not uncommon or a problem. Typically there is a large dip in the mid range which is difficult to get out and not always needed to get out.

Sean

I like to see higher A/F readings in the low Rpm's and 17-18 at low loads is not uncommon or a problem. Typically there is a large dip in the mid range which is difficult to get out and not always needed to get out.

Sean

Oh holy Morley :worthy: :rofl_200:

It seems that everyday something new to learn.
It seems that maxine is a specific machine!

I wonder why this is happening?
I will risk and i say becouse the v-boost.
I always knew that those engines likes rich condition.

How about FCR carbs or non joined intakes?

Fueling requirements are the same. Ideal power and torque is in that noted range. A "perfect" burn is considered to be 14:1. This works the best for economy without being too lean. Too lean runs hot and can damage the engine (which is very hard to do with these engines). Too rich and you can wash the cylinder walls with fuel taking away the fine oil that helps keep the cylinders from wearing.

You'll flow more air with the FCR carbs simply due to the increased inlet diameter. So, if the engines capable you can make more power. BUT, if not correctly balanced you'll hurt torque. Same with exhaust - You can go too big.

I personally feel that increasing intake velocity can do as good or better then simply getting a bigger opening. That's one reason our jet kit works as well as it does. It maintains the increase intake velocity without having to buy expensive carbs and killing fuel mileage.

For bigger engines the FCR's can be a benefit and is why we are doing our experiment with the modified stock carbs I sent. I am really excited to see how they perform when we get them back and do back to back dyno's with them. How did they seem to work for you?

Sean

Sean, can you show us a perfect dyno sheet? So we can see what we're actually shooting for. Mine is pretty flatline at 14 to 1 and only shows 101 HP. Are we sure my VBoost is working correctly at RPM? Can you tell that by the HP, Torque Curves?

Enlighten us Obewan (Sean):biglaugh:

Thanx for your help too...

Fueling requirements are the same. Ideal power and torque is in that noted range. A "perfect" burn is considered to be 14:1. This works the best for economy without being too lean. Too lean runs hot and can damage the engine (which is very hard to do with these engines). Too rich and you can wash the cylinder walls with fuel taking away the fine oil that helps keep the cylinders from wearing.

You'll flow more air with the FCR carbs simply due to the increased inlet diameter. So, if the engines capable you can make more power. BUT, if not correctly balanced you'll hurt torque. Same with exhaust - You can go too big.

I personally feel that increasing intake velocity can do as good or better then simply getting a bigger opening. That's one reason our jet kit works as well as it does. It maintains the increase intake velocity without having to buy expensive carbs and killing fuel mileage.

For bigger engines the FCR's can be a benefit and is why we are doing our experiment with the modified stock carbs I sent. I am really excited to see how they perform when we get them back and do back to back dyno's with them. How did they seem to work for you?

Sean

:clapping: for the speach :)

You should kick my ass my friend, for not sending them long time ago.
I apologize but I was having a funds problems.
It seems no more problems I have for now but dang, its christmas and we both know what heppen if you will ship something now. I promise to send them ASAP new year.
But if you want I can ship them tomorrow?

They seems to have more top end but shitty low end. I just dont know.
So far im not a carb guru to say something after couple of days.
Maybe if i had AFR meter?!
I think they may require custom AF screw couse current ones are too long.
Also its too bad that I couldnt shave them more at outlets, not much meat there.

As you now i was also having spark problems, stator fail, RR fail, battery fail and devil knows what else back then. So i cant tell anything for sure...
Unfortunetly only way to tell something for sure is to have your hands layed on them :)

BTW, playing with those carbs was an great oportunity to train the "clogged/stripped/stuck AF screw removing."
100% guarantee method I have now!

No problem waiting until next year to ship. We'll see what we can do with them!
Sean

I compared Sean's Dyno Sheet to mine. It looks like shimming the needles a little higher than the current 0.028 would increase the fuel in my mid range closer to his. I can't imagine there's 20 HP hiding in just doing that? Can anyone tell if my VBoost is working properly by my Dyno Sheet? Or do I have something else going against me..

Thanx,

Attachments

• 1st Dyno Sheet for Strafer.jpg
    1st Dyno Sheet for Strafer.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 11
Could need a valve adjustment? Plugged fuel filter (though it would have shown funny fuel curve). I like the graph but the mix was just a bit lean. Not sure what jet kit you have? Or header/muffler combination. How was it broken in? Too many factors. I'd like to see the graph on "smooth 5". If you can get the guy to email you the file I can load it in my reader and compare it with my charts more easily.

Sean

Back