Front end swap

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxx72

Reaction score
I'm giving some serious thought to just tossing the whole front of my Max and putting in something else, rather than trying to address its various problems.

I know there are a couple of front end kits available, but they are more than I want to spend, and don't really offer the look I want. I'm wondering, given the common traits between metric cruisers if there isn't something available from another bike that would bolt right up, clamps and all. I imagine all I really need is the proper steering head fit, and of course fork length.

Obviously I can take a caliper to the Max and determine the fitment I need, but I'm having a hard time digging up fine details on other potential donor bikes. For example I think the front end looks fine on a Suzuki M50 boulevard, I can find all the parts, but not the mechanical specs.

Is there a resource available to us that would suggest other bikes that are potential donors for a front end aside from the R1? I hate my forks, trees, bars...just about everything about the Max front end. I want something stouter that will easily accept aftermarket 1" bars and accessories.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks,

-Bob

I don't know for sure, but I've been watching the GF's Marauder like a hawk.
The neck measured out close and the fork length did too.
She won't let me pull the front end off long enough to measure the stem and bearings though.
Something about "you're not taking my bike apart... go find another one to dissect." and then a bunch of rambling that I didn't really listen to.

I'll measure the best I can tomorrow and post up those numbers.

Man it would be nice if that inverted contraption would fit right on the max.

For real, the newer suzuki cruiser inverted front ends would look great on the max

k, The other half isn't here, but her bike is. I took the measurements again.
(this isn't micrometer accurate, but I hit it with the tape measure real quick)
fork length to the top triple tree from the axle center...
Max 32 3/4" Marauder 33"

top of forks to bottom of forks...
max 34" Marauder 34"

tires
max 110/90-18 Marauder 130/90-16

neck
max 8" Marauder 8"

stem (exposed part on the bottom of the lower triple tree
max 1 1/4" Marauder 1 1/4"

and it's got tokico brakes. Looks like a 1" handlebar. bolt through risers...

If I wouldn't get caught, I'd have it apart and put back together with the real measurements that are needed.

The acorn nut from the top of my steering stem threads perfectly onto her Marauder.
I don't know if the OD is the same internally but the damn thing screwed right on.
I gotta leave it alone now or it will be on the Vmax by morning.:biglaugh:

I think the thing is a 98. VZ800.

...and she'd kill me! I just put a new motor in it over the winter, and if I take it apart, I'll never get any again.

Edit:
GVWF Max 418 lbs Marauder 330 lbs
It may be a little light on the spring side.

This could be interesting......in a couple of different ways:biglaugh:

Please keep us posted:clapping:

Trouble is, when you're cruising Ebay for front ends off of wrecked bikes, stock is long on crotch rockets and short on cruisers.

Just for reference, adding the only pics I have of her front end.
(maybe I worded that wrong... I'm keeping THOSE pics :biglaugh:)
ForSale015Medium.jpg

ForSale007Medium.jpg

It's only got single sided brakes. The speedo gear doesn't seem to be compatible with the max cable. and I haven't checked the axle diameter.
That stuff would be nitpicking to fix, but if it would bolt up, it would be a good starting point.
The spring stiffness may be an issue though.

I don't have a speedo, and I figure on using the front rim from the donor bike, so neither of those points concern meuch.

however if u look @ the left side fork it has what looks like points that are drillable for a dual caliper setup. just need to find a wheel that would work.

Yep, looks like the normal inverted and just needs opened up. They only need one small rotor on the front of those bikes since they aren't going fast anyway.

Sean

What is the diameter of the forks you are considering ?

Heavier than my 43mm's. I don't really have any particular model in mind yet, just that I want a cruiser front end that is stouter than the Max, and doesn't have the problematic headlight / handlebar mounting issues that I run into with my Max.

Come to think of it, pretty sure Harley is still using Showa forks, mebbe I could just throw the front end off a Fat Boy on there.

It really comes down to finding a selection of candidates that will fit properly, and then choosing among those.

Before I bought my COO front end I seriously considered trying to fit an MT-01 front end on my Max. USD forks, radial brakes, and it actually measures up fairly close. Would just have had to press in the Vmax steering stem. Here is a pic....

Attachments

• MT-01.jpg
    MT-01.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 45
Before I bought my COO front end I seriously considered trying to fit an MT-01 front end on my Max. USD forks, radial brakes, and it actually measures up fairly close. Would just have had to press in the Vmax steering stem. Here is a pic....

Jim,
How much $ was the MT-01 front end going to be vs the Coo ?

Depending upon Ebay prices and shipping the MT-01 would be a bit cheaper, but would require more work. I was going to use the headlight and all so that would have driven the cost past what Tom charges by a fair margin.

Anybody consider the Yammie Warrior front end? They come in black and should be beefy enough since its holding up a 1700 cc bike. Yes/ No/ Maybe? Dual caliper set up. Unknown wheel size. Probably could be had on the cheap.

Back