Handlebar "Doh!" Moment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BorgBiker

Reaction score
In the nearly 6 months that I've had the Max, it has become clear that at my size (6'1, 230lbs) drag bars are not a good fit for me on the Max. I love the look, but I wind up holding on too tightly, with too much pressure on my palms too often, resulting in my hands becoming numb. I tried to focus on having a looser grip, which has helped a little bit, but my hands still go numb.

So I ordered a set of Superbike Bars from Sean Morley. They arrived very fast, and as many of you know Sean's so cool to work with. I fully expect to be giving him several mortgage payments worth of income over the next few years.

Anyway, I took everything off the old bars, removed them, and put on the new bars. Put everything back on the new bars, with the brake master cylinder being the last item to reinstall. This is when I discover that the dual steel-braided brake lines are too short to allow anything but the drag bar!

(Pic shows the distance the lines are short. It barely reaches the old flat bars.)

Of course I had to put the old drag bars back on, which sucks worse since I know what the new bars feel like now - my hands go exactly where the FEEL like they should go. Another week or 3 and I will have the money to get some longer brake lines. But until then I am back to the drag bars :icon_rolleyes:

Moral of the story... check EVERYTHING before you start dis-assembly. The time you save will certainly be your own.

Attachments

• BrakeLinesTooShort.jpg
    BrakeLinesTooShort.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 151
Things sometimes go as planned, maybe it is a 50/50 proposition. I have read on this forum about putting wider handlebars on for better control but some have the same issue you have, too short clutch or brake lines.

Is it an aftermarket braided line? did the previous owner put shorter line on to go with the drag bars. If a stock rubber brake line would reach, someone here should be able to help.

Sounds like every day for me...... Something always gets FUBAR'd with the process...:bang head::bang head::bang head:

Yep,"Murphy's Law" alive and well.:rofl_200: Sucks man! I've heard good things about those Super Bars.I suppose you tried every which way of re-routing that hose huh.
Mike

Is it an aftermarket braided line? did the previous owner put shorter line on to go with the drag bars. If a stock rubber brake line would reach, someone here should be able to help.

They are steel braided lines. It looks like the PO got these in the EXACT length needed for the drag bars, with not a care as to ever changing the bars. It's so tight, you can't even rotate the drag bars up at all. The bars are locked into a position with about 1/4 inch rotation.

The good news is, now I can figure out what color I want to use when I replace in a week or so.

Yep,"Murphy's Law" alive and well.:rofl_200: Sucks man! I've heard good things about those Super Bars.I suppose you tried every which way of re-routing that hose huh.
Mike

Oh yes, but there is no 'rerouting' the hoses are stretched pretty straight, only bending where needed to avoid hitting things. There is NO slack possible when connected to the master cylinder.

Wow. The DOH! award!

Thank you, I am very honored to receive this prestigious award.

I'd like to thank everyone who made it possible:

Sean Morley, who provided the handlebars.
The previous owner, who either DID measure the length of the brake cables EXACTLY or was extremely lucky...
And you, the fans.

I can't believe this is happening to me!

I'll clear a spot on the mantle (shoves his daughter's basketball trophy's on the floor).

Sometimes there are moments when the DOH isnt enough...

celebrity-pictures-homer-simpson-facepalm-copy.jpg

After a long break of nearly half a year, I finally got the Vmax running again. I did the complete rebuild of carbs, then resolve the missing fire issue by fixing the lead ends but at the end, I installed Gannon's very professionally prepared Coil-On-Plug (COP) plug, probably the only COP I really like so far :). Anyhow, the final touch was the drag bar I recently got from Sean.
So, now I have the same bar as BorgBiker and my frame is very close to his and yesterday I took Max for a test ride. The thing is a bigger beast than it ever was! Back on topic, I have to agree, after riding about 30 minutes, I stopped to grab a cup of Joe and I noticed my hands were a bit numb. I ride my Kawi Vulcan 900 for hours and get no numbness.
This also never occurred with the stock bars, so my guess is due to the lack of pull back and especially height, I am also putting too much pressure/weight on the bars causing numbness. At least that is my guess.
I, also love the look and control of the drag bars. I wonder if the bars sit 2-3 inches higher would it resolve the issue?

We could try adding one of the bar risers we offer (I need to get some more in stock again). They raise and bring back the bars just a little bit.

Sean

When I bought my Vmax I was riding a Yamaha Maxim 650 and I really missed the sit-up riding position and ergonomic position of the pull-back handlebars. It's been quite a project to get my Vmax to that comfort point. Your aftermarket steel-braded lines were probably made shorter than the stock brake lines because the stock lines would have fit. I did the R1 brake calipers at the same time as I did the pull-back handlebars modification. The R1 calipers require the end fittings to be 90-degrees from each other (or twist the stock lines). Length is critical. Too long looks sloppy. <http://www.rr-images.com/Motorcycles/My-1996-Vmax-custom-cruiser/24625984_9P7B2Q#!i=2012543103&k=3zshkHN>

They are steel braided lines. It looks like the PO got these in the EXACT length needed for the drag bars, with not a care as to ever changing the bars. It's so tight, you can't even rotate the drag bars up at all. The bars are locked into a position with about 1/4 inch rotation.

The good news is, now I can figure out what color I want to use when I replace in a week or so.

It sounds to me like they are shorter than stock. I just recently swapped my OEM bars out for "drag" bars (almost completely straight but do have a very slight bend) and added 1" risers too and everything fit back on just fine.

PS. The reach is about the same and my wrists are rotated more towards neutral. No issues with pain/discomfort of any kind.

Back