VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ransom82

Reaction score
Ok, guys. I am not the worlds greatest mechanic but i'm learning. Here's my problem.

It started with my bike sitting for about 6 months without running. it's a 2005 max.

When i turned it, it started pretty easily with about 2-3 cranks. However, when i started riding it had little to no power when i put it under load.

I figured the gas was old or maybe had contaminates. I looked inside and found small amounts of rust deposits in the bottom of the tank. I changed the fuel filter. I also put in some super unleaded and 1/3 can of seafoam...

When looking the bike over i figured it must be fuel or spark... I noticed some hairline cracks in the ignition coils and decided it would be a good time to switch to COP's. I nstalled and it got a little better with the idle and could ride a little. I also noticed some moisture buildup with traces of fuel or oil in the airbox under the little cover that goes to the crank case hose....???

When i ride it kinda bogs down at low rpm's and then all of a sudden takes off.

I changed the oil and found a little bit of fuel smell in the oil. and it was pretty thin. I replaced the filter and oil after letting it drain for about an hour.

It got a "little bit better" on the idle, and a little bit better at the low rpm power loss.

But.... It still is not getting power and it hesitates for 3-5 seconds then takes off. When i put my hand to the exhaust the left side is a little weaker than the right side. I pulled the (new) plugs and the front cylinder had some fuel on it. All the others were pretty normal with minimal carbon buildup.

I'm not really sure what else to check... Like i said i'm not a great mechanic but i'm learning.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks, Trey:ummm::ummm::ummm:

with the rust in the tank, could have got some in the carbs, how did the fuel filter look?. worth doing a compression test. Did you chg the gas right out and put fresh fuel in? also will help narrow things down. You can also check again all the plugs make sure they are all firing and or not wet. start with easy stuff then might still be worth to clean out carbs.

There were some very small depostis (black flecks) in the fuel filter but the rust in the tank is very small. i put a gallon of super in it but there was only about a quart of gas in it so i left it in there. The front left cylinder plug did come out a little wet. and thats on the side with the problems.

Should i spray some carb cleaner while its running? Or are you saying i should do something more invasive?

just to make things simple, you tried swapping the one plug with a known good one?

Hairline cracks on the coils are normal, many bikes have them and they don't seem to affect anything.

Do a compression test and let us know what the readings are.

After i put the new COP's on, it ran significantly better though... plus the resistance on the secondary was like 33 Ohms on the #2 & #4.

I SAY , PUT A WHOLE CAN OF SEA FOAM IN IT , & RIDE IT FOR 20 MILES , LET IT SIT OVER NIGHT , RIDE IT ANOTHER 20 MILES , LET IT SIT OVER NIGHT AGAIN , THIS WAY THE SEA FOAM SOAKS IN WHILE ITS SITTING , THEN ON THE 3RD DAY , RIDE THAT " MOTHERFUCKER " LIKE THE COPS ARE CHASING YOU ! ... THATS WHAT I'M THINKING ! .. :punk:

before we can start pin pointing what it is, gotta get info like compression test to help process of elimination. Do all four, hold her wide open to get most air into cylinders and reduce cranking time.

I SAY , PUT A WHOLE CAN OF SEA FOAM IN IT , & RIDE IT FOR 20 MILES , LET IT SIT OVER NIGHT , RIDE IT ANOTHER 20 MILES , LET IT SIT OVER NIGHT AGAIN , THIS WAY THE SEA FOAM SOAKS IN WHILE ITS SITTING , THEN ON THE 3RD DAY , RIDE THAT " MOTHERFUCKER " LIKE THE COPS ARE CHASING YOU ! ... THATS WHAT I'M THINKING ! .. :punk:
:punk::punk: great idea just didnt want to say it. Ride it like you stole it hahaaha

but for sure some seafoam will do wonders, stuff is awesome.

:punk::punk: Great idea just didnt want to say it. Ride it like you stole it hahaaha

but for sure some sea foam will do wonders, stuff is awesome.
I had the same exact problem that he does , I put in sea foam , whipped that bitch , 9 miles into it , I cracked the throttle , it bogged , I almost went over the handle bars , then it took off & I almost fell of the back ! .. No joke ! .. And that was 2 years ago & that bitch runs like a " rapped ape " ever since ! ... I add an once or two of sea foam every tank ever since !

+1 on the compression test. Sounds like sticky rings. Try letting a few cc's of Seafoam soak directly in each cylinder.

The V-max carbs do not like sitting with the gas we have now. Try the seafoam or a can of BG #203 in a full tank of gas like he said ride it 20 miles let it sit overnight then another 20 miles let it sit overnight then run it hard for the rest of the gas thats left then put fresh gas in and see if that helps, if that does not work pull carbs and clean them.

My bike has done the exact same thing. It's an '06 with 5K. I was all worried and wondering what was wrong. The first time it freaked me out. It happened a few times. Mostly when the bike sat for awhile before I got back on it. Turned out that performing the "Shotgun" and adding a bit of Seafoam and riding it was all that was needed. He could very well have a plugged up circuit in his carb. Our carbs seem finnicky enough, add rust to the equation and that equals bad news. I would try the shotgun and add a fuel treatment. It's basically free, and very easy to do. After that, synch the carbs and go for a long ride and get some fresh fuel while your out and put some more treatment in.

My bike has done the exact same thing. It's an '06 with 5K. I was all worried and wondering what was wrong. The first time it freaked me out. It happened a few times. Mostly when the bike sat for awhile before I got back on it. Turned out that performing the "Shotgun" and adding a bit of Seafoam and riding it was all that was needed. He could very well have a plugged up circuit in his carb. Our carbs seem finnicky enough, add rust to the equation and that equals bad news. I would try the shotgun and add a fuel treatment. It's basically free, and very easy to do. After that, synch the carbs and go for a long ride and get some fresh fuel while your out and put some more treatment in.

+1 on the Shotgun, but I would take it one step further and do the Peashooter as well. Both methods do well at cleaning out the carbs, but the Shotgun can push schmutz deeper into the carb and only work temporarily. Once you have tried both follow Cop Runner's advice and put the Seafoam in the tank and do a couple of short hops.

I don't think you have a stuck ring myself because a stuck ring will usually allow some oil to blow by and I would expect some indication like bluish smoke or something.

Check the mechanics of the engine first. Like previous posts said, pull all four plugs, and do a compression test on each cylinder while holding the throttle wide open. Record the readings, and if one is different, squirt a little oil in it and re-test to see if it rises. If the compression is good and pretty close on all four, then seafoam it, sync it, and run the hell out of it!

If you do a compression test PLEASE by all means make sure you ground the plugs when turning the engine over!! Known of a couple of guys who forgot and fried their CDI boxes.......

Back