how to deal with it.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax190

Reaction score
i am a electronic engineer with a bs from osu and work for the largest supplier of natural gas compressors in the world (ariel corp.) and my boss is a highschool dropout that is in the family, so i get treated like shit every fuckin day, anybody else in the same boat.

I can't say that I am in such a position, but I've had some similar experiences. There is only one good way to deal with this kind of BS - place yourself above it and ignore it. If you let it get to ya you're kinda 'descending to their level' and it just is never worth it.

If it really gets to ya too bad, then your best bet is to look somewhere else - no matter how comfortable we ever get in a job, there's always a better one round the corner if you take a good look. It's also always a lot easier to find when you're not out of work..

Just my 2 cents

Had a job like that, my answer was to quit. I don't know if that's such a hot idea in the market today, depends on how in demand you will be. My take is that pretty much no job is worth being unhappy for, life's short.

I have a job for you in the same field. I am also one of the largest natrual gas suppliers here in TN after eating burritos. But I am a dick so most likely you wouldnt want to work me niether. Plus your to smart with a BS.. I am a BS'r also.. is that what your talking about:ummm:

i am a electronic engineer with a bs from osu and work for the largest supplier of natural gas compressors in the world (ariel corp.) and my boss is a highschool dropout that is in the family, so i get treated like shit every fuckin day, anybody else in the same boat.

Hey vmax190, most of us have been there at one time or another. Either you ignore it if possible or network for another job, than quit. Just remember one thing, it is not your company so if they want to run it in the ground, who are you to stop them, just know when it is time to abandon ship.

Mike

I'm a high school dropout also , when i was 16 years old i couldn't take it anymore , the only way my mother would sign the papers for me to quit was if i would go to Brookdale community college to get my GED . So i went , took at least 20 long tests over a 2-3 week period to see what classes i needed to brush-up in , they said i didn't need any classes & i was ready for the main test ! It lasted for days , a month later they called my mother and said i had passed and had achieved the highest score by far on any GED test anywhere ! I told my mother that i always said i could do the work , i just couldn't sit in school anymore listening to that second hand click on that clock ! I joined the fire company when i was 16 & later joined a second , I am still in two to this day , i have cut many people out of cars , fought many fires in the middle of the night ! Sometimes in 0 deg. Weather ! And have carried dead body's out of charred houses , all for free ! Have worked full time since i was 16 years old! Got thrown out of my parents house the day after my 18 th birthday & never went back , nobody has ever giving me a fucking thing , i paid for everything I've ever had , i have an attic full of trophy's , motocross- stock cars-drag racing , i have 3 cars that i own , and a big enclosed stock car trailer with a generator-heat-microwave & stereo that i own ! & a 3 bed room house with a mortgage , & I'm 45 years old & I'm a great father to my 5 year old son ! I guess my point is that if your a dick your a dick , it has nothing to do with some piece of paper sitting in a desk draw somewhere ! AND DID I SAY I'M A HIGH SCHOOL DROPOUT ALSO !

Last edited:
Not trying to be a jerk here but you went a little crazy on
another post and cited your job as the reason. If your that
unhappy here I can only imagine how you are at the home and
work. Shit happens deal with it or find another job. A degree means
nothing, I know guys who have degrees but couldn't change
a freakin flat tire with 3 manuals and an ASE certified mechanic.
Not being personel but you insinuate a lack of a degree makes you
better than this guy. Dicks come in all packages degrees not withstanding.
The alternative is to let things continue which will result in you alienating both friends
and family then they'll think your the dick. As stated earlier
life is short, your not helpless, people can not control you unless
you allow them to. It may be painful but leave if your that miserable.
Just my 2 cents.

I don't think the post was slamming the high school drop out part but the family part. I've usually found that a family member as a boss, without the background or experience to do it, is usually bad news for the employees and the company.

I'm in the same boat, 'cept for the family part. If I the company wasn't so good, I'da killed the bastard long ago. I can't stand working at the shop either. The windshield time helps keep me away from that asshole.

i don't think the post was slamming the high school drop out part but the family part. I've usually found that a family member as a boss, without the background or experience to do it, is usually bad news for the employees and the company.
i didn't totaly take it that way ,( a little bit though ), my point is if that guy had gone to college he probably would be a bigger dick ! But since he dropped out of highschool it bothers him ( vmax190 ) more & thats obvious ! BUT IF THE GUYS A DICK HE'S A DICK !

OK Ok I think I have found a way to prevent anymore disrespect by a co-worker.. If you decide not to come to TN to be my personal natural gas inspector here is what ya do......

Goto Wally World and go to aisle 1982
Pic out the biggest boombox, sony makes a nice one if I remember correctly, even has dual cassette doors with a built in EQ.
Now head over to the battery section and load up on some D cell batteries. I believe you will need 10 or 12 not sure just pick up 24 to be on the safe side.
Now when you head into work pull into his parking lot even if you need to get to work an hour early.
Now set your cassette player on repeat and play Aretha Franklin all day even when ya go take a shit break carry that boombox with ya, preferbally on your shoulder.. By the end of the day you should get some respect, repeat this until you, you may need more batteries but its a sure way I tell ya..
watch

Drop out, graduate,Bs of what ever, ring wearing Engineer;...All this has little to do with the actual person...I've meet them all, worked with and for .
Asshat's come in all shapes and sizes. And so do the most admirable people you will ever meet.
Some of the best ones have no title,..most of the worst ones wear suits.
It's not WHAT your friends DO,..it's WHO they ARE.
My father never finished grade 6,...I will never be able to attain the level of professional and community respect that he has .

As a division manager in an engineering firm I was required to attend managers meetings which were scheduled on Saturdays, of course, so as not to miss any company, money making opportunities. As I sat there in my suit & tie listening to the pres. give a hi powered pep talk I started looking around the room at the other managers in their suits & ties and the ladies in their nice dresses.

Everyone was looking pretty sharp if you could overlook the cheap bright red baseball cap that each person, male & female, was wearing. On the front, in big white letters was " I'm a Team Player" "Think Quality." About two dozen professional folks sitting there, on a day they should be home enjoying it with their friends & families, trying to look like productive members of the company, wearing those ridiculous fuckin' hats!

I had been with this firm about 8 years but decided then & there that this was my last day. I stood up, in the middle of the speech, took my cap off, layed it on the table in front of me, picked up my briefcase and walked out.

I went back to the office, wrote my resignation, put it in the pres's in box and went home.

Worked my ass off during the required 30 day notice time to set up my tank testing business.

That was 16 years ago, the tank testing was pretty successful and I got to finish my working life (I'm now retired) on my terms. There was nothing easy about it, but it was MINE, no more bullshit, no more red hats! End of story.

The point in all this is, we have choices. We can either sit there with that stupid looking hat on or we can take a walk and do something else. There's no right or wrong choice, it's what works best for each person.

What isn't right is to use the situation we are in, by our choice, as an excuse to abuse the friends and family around us.

Great story, Danny. I had a similar f-corporate America story...but I'm still working on my own...and doing the damn housework. :eusa_dance:

Being as the big corp. experience also cost me my marriage and I ended up a bachelor, I know right where you're coming from Tom. :biglaugh:

Housework ain't so bad tho, you get to wear that cute little black dress, right!! :eusa_dance:

thanks buster, if he wasn't family i would see it differently, and as for quiting it will never happen, they pay is beyond good with quarterly profit sharing of a company that averages 10mill a week in orders and i could not have a better job if not for the dickhead, check it out if you like (ariel corp. com)

You could always take that degree from Ohio State & leave it on the dash of your car - this way the cops will let you park in handicapped spaces... :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200: - sorry Bro, couldn't resist - I'm a Gators fan - go ahead, flame me back !!! - It's all fun. :biglaugh: Just keep biding your time at that place & someday the boss will screw himself up - you can outlast him. I've done that before. Remember, revenge is best served cold !

Being as the big corp. experience also cost me my marriage and I ended up a bachelor, I know right where you're coming from Tom. :biglaugh:

Housework ain't so bad tho, you get to wear that cute little black dress, right!! :eusa_dance:
OH YEAH DAN , YOU MUST LOOK GREAT IN A SHORT BLACK DRESS WITH THEM " LONG LEGS " !:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Back