How To Winterize Your bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remove battery and store inside. Is it a stock battery? If it's maintenance free gel battery no need to remove or put on battery tender.

Put a few ounces of Seafoam in a full tank of gas and let run for a few minutes. Keep float bowls full by turning key on every few days.

Wash the bike and put cover on when dry.

Rubber band some bread sacks over the muffler ends to keep moisture out.

Some put a teaspoon of 2 cycle oil in each spark plug hole and crank it over a couple of times. I don't do this.

Remove battery and store inside. Is it a stock battery? If it's maintenance free gel battery no need to remove or put on battery tender.

Put a few ounces of Seafoam in a full tank of gas and let run for a few minutes. Keep float bowls full by turning key on every few days.

Wash the bike and put cover on when dry.

Rubber band some bread sacks over the muffler ends to keep moisture out.

Some put a teaspoon of 2 cycle oil in each spark plug hole and crank it over a couple of times. I don't do this.

Uh, Mark..............! :biglaugh:

Doh! I've been spoiled with my 7 year old Hawker-Odyssey!

Snowmax goes into a heated shop, battery removed, carbs DRAINED, fresh oil change, full tank of stabilized fuel. Of course the bike also will probably end up all over the shop in little pieces as I do my upgrades, yet again. Battery gets stored in a heated area on a wood block and receives a top up charge monthly at a low charge rate.

The only right way is of course to bring your bike into your living room so you can spend every winter day pampering it and keeping it happy until it's allowed out again!

:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

I ride until snow flies or if temp before morning commute is below 25*F AND high won't hit 50*F....whichever comes first.

I remove bike and store inside... It's heated and humidity controlled as well...:eusa_dance: Oh and free as the wind... I usually change my oil with new and then drain in the spring for new again but this year laziness struck me so I won't be going to this extent...

Snowmax goes into a heated shop, battery removed, carbs DRAINED, fresh oil change, full tank of stabilized fuel.

+1 Jim. Followed the same proceedure for years on previous bikes. I used to put oil in the cylinders but I found it makes no difference for only 4 to 5 months. When I stored my bike for 7 years I followed all the same proceedures including oil in the cylinders... fired right up with a fresh battery & fuel after the carbs filled.
I don't recommend plastic bags be used anywhere. They trap & hold condensation.

The only right way is of course to bring your bike into your living room so you can spend every winter day pampering it and keeping it happy until it's allowed out again!

:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:
I WISH I COULD GET MINE IN THE LIVING ROOM !:rofl_200:

I STILL HAVE THE STOCK BATTERY IN MY 2006 , BUT IT WAS A LEFTOVER , BOUGHT IT 3/31/07 , I HARDWIRED IN A BATTERY TENDER PLUG , SO I PUT THE BATTERY TENDER ON ONCE A WEEK , ALL DAY UNTILL THE BATTERY IS 100% , AND I'M GOING TO PUT 8 OZ. SEA FOAM INTO A FULL TANK OF FUEL , & I START MY V-MAX EVERY WEEK-END , ALL WINTER & LET IT RUN UNTILL THE COOLING FAN COME'S ON , THEN I REV IT UP A COUPLE OF TIMES , AND I RUN IT THROUGH THE GEARS TO KEEP ALL THE GEARS , BEARINGS & SEALS COATED WITH OIL & THE GEARS IN THE FINAL DRIVE COATED WITH OIL ! THEN I SAY ,. " I LOVE YOU " SEE YOU NEXT WEEK !:rofl_200: AND IN THE SPRING , 4 NEW PLUGS & A OIL CHANGE , CHECK AIR IN TIRES , 33 LBS FRONT & REAR FOR GOOD LUCK ! AND I'M ON MY WAY ! :punk:

I STILL HAVE THE STOCK BATTERY IN MY 2006 , BUT IT WAS A LEFTOVER , BOUGHT IT 3/31/07 , I HARDWIRED IN A BATTERY TENDER PLUG , SO I PUT THE BATTERY TENDER ON ONCE A WEEK , ALL DAY UNTILL THE BATTERY IS 100% , AND I'M GOING TO PUT 8 OZ. SEA FOAM INTO A FULL TANK OF FUEL , & I START MY V-MAX EVERY WEEK-END , ALL WINTER & LET IT RUN UNTILL THE COOLING FAN COME'S ON , THEN I REV IT UP A COUPLE OF TIMES , AND I RUN IT THROUGH THE GEARS TO KEEP ALL THE GEARS , BEARINGS & SEALS COATED WITH OIL & THE GEARS IN THE FINAL DRIVE COATED WITH OIL ! THEN I SAY ,. " I LOVE YOU " SEE YOU NEXT WEEK !:rofl_200: AND IN THE SPRING , 4 NEW PLUGS & A OIL CHANGE , CHECK AIR IN TIRES , 33 LBS FRONT & REAR FOR GOOD LUCK ! AND I'M ON MY WAY ! :punk:

Sounds like all the bases are covered there!! :thumbs up:

The only thing i've done differently is gone to walmart and buy a bunch of cheap carpets or towls and put them under the tires that are touching if you can't get to move it every once in a while so theres no flat spots. I think this is more the case if u don't have a centre stand.

I've also heard to store a bike in the highest gear it has (5th in this case).

I've always changed the fluids, filled the tank, added stabil or seafoam to the gas, drained the carbs, sqirted a touch of oil in the cyls and cranked it over a few times, popped the battery and put it on the shelf, then stored it.

Many of my bikes were kept outside, ie my Goldwing and Venture with those I checked the coolant to make sure the anti-freeze level and quality was good enough to take the -60f temps it gets in the winter.

Never had a problem doing this. I made room for my Vmax in the Garage. I did all of the above with the exception of the anti-freeze temp check.

I have a battery tender that automatically turns on and off that is hard wired to the battery.

Winterizing... Le'see here... I change oil & filter...toss in a new set of plugs...check all fluid levels... Then I ride down to WalMart and buy a couple of new flannel shirts...for wearing while riding on those 'chilly' FL winter days!

C'mon down guys!.. 'the weather's here, wish you were beautiful!' (Quote J.Buffet)..

Philthy

Winterizing... Le'see here... I change oil & filter...toss in a new set of plugs...check all fluid levels... Then I ride down to WalMart and buy a couple of new flannel shirts...for wearing while riding on those 'chilly' FL winter days!

C'mon down guys!.. 'the weather's here, wish you were beautiful!' (Quote J.Buffet)..

Philthy

Philthy, I didn't think you were capable of such cruelty!! Keep that up and you'll have this 'northern boy' banging on yer door, come January!! :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Philthy

I'm with you Philthy...
I just zip in my liner on my jacket and switch to full fingered gloves.

I'm with you Philthy...
I just zip in my liner on my jacket and switch to full fingered gloves.

Ya got one for this finger? :rofl_200:
Enjoy the riding guys, I'm counting on the stories to get me through the next 5 months of winter. :biglaugh:

Attachments

• baby_middle_finger.jpg
    baby_middle_finger.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 9
Back