Need to replace my front tire--HELP

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CB2DMax

Reaction score
It's time to replace the front tire on my 2001 V-Max. Since I'm not an aggressive driver, I want a tire that will provide excellent mileage. Have been running the Dunlop 491 for years and getting 17,000 out of my front tires. Great tire! They don't make the 491 any more. So what has been your experiences with front tires and how much mileage have you been getting on your selection?

Currently running Metzeler Marathon on rear and a Lasertech on the front. The Lasertech is a piece of junk!!! Did not even get 5,000 miles out of this tire.

Thanks!

i know danny loved the laser for quality. my shinko has well over 8k on it now and probably has 30% left. for $50 i can't complain.

I've heard everyone is getting great mileage out of the Metzelers Marathons. I've done about 8000 miles on my front Shinko T230 Tourmaster and it still looks good. The rear only lasted 7000, but they're really cheap and sticky.

Currently running Metzeler Marathon on rear and a Lasertech on the front. The Lasertech is a piece of junk!!! Did not even get 5,000 miles out of this tire.

Thanks!

Funny I ran a Lasertech, gave it to DannyMax with the wheel, and we both got great performance out of it. If you are hard on the front brakes you will wear out a front tire, no matter which brand, quick fast and in a hurry. The ME880 front will give you good performance and they tend to last a while. I would also recommend that you find and install DynaBeads in your tires instead of having them spin balanced. The spin balance only lasts for a short time and then the tire starts to scallop. I usually only get 3/4 a season out of a front, but now with the DynaBeads my front I installed in June is still looking fresh with no oddball wear at all. Going to put them in the rear this winter when it gets replaced.

i'm at about 9000 with mine and my fronts almost done. just noticed today the two lines on either side of the swigly middle line are almost done.

The spin balance only lasts for a short time and then the tire starts to scallop. I usually only get 3/4 a season out of a front, but now with the DynaBeads my front I installed in June is still looking fresh with no oddball wear at all.

What are these Dynabeads? Self installed wieghts I assume?? Never heard of them. How do they install?

What are these Dynabeads? Self installed wieghts I assume?? Never heard of them. How do they install?

They are ceramic beads, very small in size, that you insert into the tire when mounting or through the valve stem. Here is a link to the company that makes them, http://www.innovativebalancing.com/ , so you can take a look. Know a few gents here in Ontario that run them besides myself and they seem to be having good results as well.

I've been running Dynabeads in my Shinkos too, and they are great. No more dead weights on the wheels, and they self-adjust as the wheel spins and the tire wears off.

Anyone know if I can fit a Shinko 120 up front? What about changing the profile as well? My buddy loves the Shinko T230 rear so I'm going to try out a set. He's taking turns much harder and with more confidence.

Anyone know if I can fit a Shinko 120 up front? What about changing the profile as well? My buddy loves the Shinko T230 rear so I'm going to try out a set. He's taking turns much harder and with more confidence.

Yep, you're good Bro. There are quite a few of us running that exact set up.
-

120 no problem fitting what-so-ever except that with it being bigger i'm not convinced it doesn't attribute to decel wobbles.

120 no problem fitting what-so-ever except that with it being bigger i'm not convinced it doesn't attribute to decel wobbles.

I think the Shinko's front tire profile doesn't help the descel. wobble anyway, regardless of size.

I think it's that zigzag line in the middle.. Still, it won't ever do it unless I take my hands off the bars under 40 mph and give them a lil' nudge.

i'll drink to that. my steering damper got rid of the nudge issue too.

Im runnin a Dunlop D404F on my front,Ive put 7-8 Thousand miles on it with NO signs of ware and WHOS KNOWS how many miles the previous owner put on it before me!

I just replaced my front 110-18 with a 120 Metzler 880 and what a differnce in handling. Turning is more easier and requires little effort. I will put a Metzler 880 180-18 on the rear this spring for the complete match. I don't ride hard so this tire seems well siuted for me. My neighbor went to all Metzler for his V-Rod and is real happy with the handling. I got my tire from Motorcycle Superstore who in turn hooked me up with a shop near me for the instal. The tire was shipped to shop where I drove in and out without any hassle. ttfndoc

Back