New to Vmax world and need some advice!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcoop99

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am new to the vmax world but have owned an '82 Maxim 650 for years and decided it is time to put on the big boy pants and upgrade. I am looking at one locally and am not real sure if it is a good deal or not. Here is the link:
http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/2147153981.html
It seems like a lot of miles for a bike but I really don't know. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

I think thats Marks bike...
If it is, you can be sure that it was well taken care of and serviced regularly.

Re: New Vmax world and need some advice!

First off, miles are miles to me. If it had the best of maintenance and had 200,000 miles would you still consider it? That being said, one would have a near impossible task to build this bike with these many quality mods for the asking price. This shit adds up fast and the Mod Monkey knows no restraint! Bad monkey! I think you could be as assured as one can be in buying a near 80,000 mile bike that it was given the proper attention to keep it tip top. Obviously lots of time and research went into building this bke. You won't have to twist wrench one as all the work is already done for you! To me you get a top flight modded bike and heaven forbid the motor or tranny blows, all those mods could be sold off along with the rest of the bike and you would probably get most if not all your investment back. "Choose wisely Grasshopper"

I could sell you one but Mark's bike is the best buy for the money. Eventually we could upgrade your engine to a 1300 conversion (which was Marks thoughts until he got a different one). But, it's a great running bike with many modifications that are popular and already done!

Sean

Hey Kyle, thanks for stopping by yesterday. There's some good advice here, I don't blame you being concerned about miles. @Sean, it's still a possibility will let you know. I was surprised that Frank wanted to change to a Venture or possibly an '09. His is heavily modded, just needs a few things to make it mine. Thanks to you all for the kind words!

I know this bike and Mark very well. I am proud to say he is my closest most trusted friends. My bike has 1/3 the miles and Mark's bike is far smoother and tuned better. Ask around I doubt you will find many people with a better rep than he has. I have a lot of mods done to my bike as well and his handles as well,brakes better and has all the shit and get you could want.Mark is know around here for his Carb work and that bike is as good of a tuned ride as you will find. I'm sure more people will chime in that agree.You will love the Max and Mark is the best kind of person to buy it from.

Good luck and enjoy the forums. Lots of great people on here.

Frank, Lincoln NE

It comes down to 2 things on this Vmax for sale, mile vs modifications. This bike has some nice mods but has a lot of miles, I guess it comes down to whats more important to you... I don't know Mark and I have never seen the bike except for the video, but I must say it looks and sounds sweet. When Sean and other senior members vouche for price/ condition/ and mod cost you can take that to the bank. I'm sure you can find one with a lot less miles on it for that price but chances are it will be all stock with no mods and no way of telling how it was maintained, like I said it comes down to 2 things. Good luck, I hope you find what your looking for.:twocents:

80k is fairly high mileage, but being a "daily driver" is a big plus. Most of the gremlins you'll encounter with a used bike are caused by sitting around for long periods of time....carb issues, bad wiring, rotted hoses, rusty bearings, ect. Mods are very expensive and there's absolutely NO WAY you could do that yourself for the same price. Hell just the exhaust system would cost a grand.

Some people really want to mod the bike themselves, but it is a pricier way. I got my '97 with a bucketload of extras for $4800 IIRC, with about 12k miles and in mint condition. I saved money, the bike came with almost all the mods/parts I wanted to add anyway, and the p/o sorted out (most) of it's gremlins for me.

Which would you choose?
- an '89 with 80k miles, loads of extras, and meticulous maintenance
-a '99 with 3k miles, stock, and the owner still hasn't figured out where the gas cap is.
assuming they were the same price?

I'd take the '89 every time. Treated right, people have well over 100k on vmax motors and they're still going strong so I wouldn't worry the motor is "worn out" or about to have some catastrophic internal failure. If it had been beat on, it wouldn't have made it to 80k to start with.

I have an 89 that's got 32,000 miles on it, over 300 hours of work into it and will have all of $4,000.00 in it when completed. It'll run like a top for some time to come. If I had it all to do over, I'd buy one in better shape even if it had more miles... Workin on this one is killin me...:rofl_200:

Added: Just went back and looked at the pictures attached to the ad, It looks Super Clean.....

You can't go wrong with Mark's bike - he is a straight up guy - knows his stuff when it comes to the vmax and especially when it comes to carb tuning.

I would say a great deal for the bike especially considering all the upgrades done to it.

Mike

4k for a bike with 77k miles is absurd. Mods don't hold any value. Not for cars, not for bikes.

Jeez Mark, I try and go to a random website and you are an all star! I have my XJ on craigslist right now. We will talk soon!

Damn that's a clean bike with some tasteful mods! I'm a new Max owner myself and bought mine already modded and cherry like this one!:biglaugh: Yes,a lot of miles but if you keep up the maintenance like the previous owner she's got a lot more to go. I'd say "Go For It"! :punk:

all depends on if you are going to keep it forever or sell one day. if keeping forever and it has everything you want than go for it. but not to step on anyones toe's but with those miles if you do decide to sell one day you will lose money simply because 99% of people dont know you or mark and how well the bike has been maintained and all they are going to see are the miles. good luck in what ever you decide.

Latest posts

Back