Oil filter kicked my a$$

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wally world should sell them too. i picked one up for $3

OK.

This AM I found I out the oil filter "cup" wrench I already owned was the size I needed. It obviously wasn't working for me - as cop runner put it - she called her mom. The cup skipped and skipped with any pressure applied. I even put a cloth on it - THEN tapped it over so it was tighter than what ever cop runner would say is tight ;) - NO DICE. Still skipped.

Bought a new oil filter wrench (the metal band kind) - and it was as useless as a 3rd nipple on my forehead.

SO - my tools failing me - I drilled a hole through it. Easy enough. Put a screw driver through it - and turned. No dice. The screw driver was on the brink of breaking off from handle - and it was also breaking through the filter.

At this point I thought two things:

1.) The previous owner WELDED the damn thing on or...
2.) Enlisted the help of the incredible hulk to tighten it to a point of no possible return.

So back to the local partsource auto store I went.
My last option - the OIL FILTER CLAW PLIERS.

I bought them for 15 dollars (ouch!) and brought them home. I kept the receipt in case they didn't work.

THEY WORKED!

They slipped at first but I squeezed as hard as I could and the metal teeth bit into the filter. It had no choice but to come off. BOOOYAH!
I should note that even after the initial movement of the filter - I could still not budge it by hand. It was on there as tight as I have ever seen.

I celebrated with a 150km ride to lake Ontario.

No filter will win with this wrench...

2_e3c367d0e83e.jpg

GHOST , DON'T FEEL BAD , I GO THROUGH THIS ALL THE TIME AT WORK ! .. I HAVE ALL THE TOOLS AND KNOW ALL OF THE TRICKS . .. MY BOSS SAYS THAT I PUT THEM ON TO TIGHT , AND I TELL HIM THAT HE JUST DOESN'T HAVE THE WRIGHT TOOLS TO GET THEM OFF ! .. :rofl_200:

GHOST , DON'T FEEL BAD , I GO THROUGH THIS ALL THE TIME AT WORK ! .. I HAVE ALL THE TOOLS AND KNOW ALL OF THE TRICKS . .. MY BOSS SAYS THAT I PUT THEM ON TO TIGHT , AND I TELL HIM THAT HE JUST DOESN'T HAVE THE WRIGHT TOOLS TO GET THEM OFF ! .. :rofl_200:

you sound like me, I've broken sockets taking valve cover bolts off.

OK.

This AM I found I out the oil filter "cup" wrench I already owned was the size I needed. It obviously wasn't working for me - as cop runner put it - she called her mom. The cup skipped and skipped with any pressure applied. I even put a cloth on it - THEN tapped it over so it was tighter than what ever cop runner would say is tight ;) - NO DICE. Still skipped.

Bought a new oil filter wrench (the metal band kind) - and it was as useless as a 3rd nipple on my forehead.

SO - my tools failing me - I drilled a hole through it. Easy enough. Put a screw driver through it - and turned. No dice. The screw driver was on the brink of breaking off from handle - and it was also breaking through the filter.

At this point I thought two things:

1.) The previous owner WELDED the damn thing on or...
2.) Enlisted the help of the incredible hulk to tighten it to a point of no possible return.

So back to the local partsource auto store I went.
My last option - the OIL FILTER CLAW PLIERS.

I bought them for 15 dollars (ouch!) and brought them home. I kept the receipt in case they didn't work.

THEY WORKED!

They slipped at first but I squeezed as hard as I could and the metal teeth bit into the filter. It had no choice but to come off. BOOOYAH!
I should note that even after the initial movement of the filter - I could still not budge it by hand. It was on there as tight as I have ever seen.

I celebrated with a 150km ride to lake Ontario.

:clapping::clapping:

I went through the same exact process.......Them weird pliers work!!!!:punk:

I use my 'hooligan tool' - it's basically a piece of bicycle chain with a 17mm attachment.

I've yet to see a filter resist that thing - the more you push on the ratchet the stronger it squeezes the filter.

Had to use the 440 channel locks on my k&n last week after the socket stripped nut on it.

SISSIES !!! It's a freakin' OIL FILTER !!! Just use YOUR HANDS !!!
:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

just messin' - glad you got it off - it's always the "simple" things that turn into a pain-in-the-ass.:biglaugh:

Back