Oil filter kicked my a$$

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostntheshell

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Tried to change my oil today.

Drained it no problem. Washer was still in good shape - but I found one to replace it anyway.

The OIL FILTER on the other hand - refused to budge. I tried for an hour. No luck.

I am going to have to go a Yammy dealership and see if they sell the oil filter adapter that lets you wrench it off...

(I have a 97 do it's the screw on filter)

You should be able to get the filter wrench at any auto parts store. It is a common size that is used on cars.

Ghost, do it yourself. You're gonna trash the filter anyway so just grab it with your big slip joint pliers/channel locks. Worst case scenario, drive a philips screw driver straight across it from side through the other side. Discount auto parts places sell the metal cap that fits around the grooves at the top of the filter and you use a 3/8 socket with a short extension. 5 bucks and you keep the tool! No stealership trips. There ya go.

if u do the screwdriver technique, just dont hit the threaded part.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

I prefer teh band type, they seem to grab a little better.

yeah, I have a band but it was too big.

Oh well, tomorrow I will attack it and report back.

I still can't believe how tight it is on there. Wonder how old it is too. It's OEM Yamaha.
The oil wasn't horrible in condition, so at least I know that it's been changed.
I am hoping that the previous owner just put it on too tight.

Ghost....You can wrap some tape around the band to shrink the diameter, maybe get it to fit your filter.

I've been using a 'modified' one like that for years! :punk:

+1 on fuck it up. I put mine on too tight once. I just grabbed the channel locks opened them up and put the grip-o-death on it. Sure it got crushed, but it spun right off. :biglaugh:

Ghost, the cup wrench style is really the easiest and better way to remove/install the spin on oil filter.

Go to any bike shop or automotive supplier near you and pick up a 65mm cup wrench. Usually $10.00-$12.00.

I know you now have a new K&N filter to install with the nut on it, but in the future you can pick up decent regular oil filters for a good bit less money than those and then use your cup wrench again.

G Man

p.s.: If your current filter is that stuck on, remember to make sure that the old oil filter gasket comes off!

IF YOUR GOING TO USE A CUP WRENCH , TAP IT ALL THE WAY ON WITH THE HANDLE OF A HAMMER & EASE INTO IT " LIKE A VIRGIN ON PROM NIGHT " JUST START SLOWLY TURNING IT LEFT , SLOWLY APPLYING MORE PRESSURE UNTIL IT TURNS , THIS WILL BE YOUR BEST CHANCE WITH A CUP , IF YOU JUST GO FOR IT , IT WILL JUST SKIP AROUND IT ! .. " AND SHE'LL GET UP AND CALL HER MOTHER " ! .. :rofl_200: THEN YOU JUST NEED CHANNEL LOCKS OR A STRAP WRENCH !

also they make 3 finger universal wrenches for tight filters , the harder you turn them , the tighter they grab ! ,,, they work great !

Latest posts

Back