Ordered the progressive front fork springs and need assistance

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxedout

Reaction score
I plan on tackling this myself.
Is it difficult?
Any step by step directions on the forum?

2007 Vmax
Ufo STarfighter Seat
Mek Bolt Kit
Progressive 412 rear shocks
Cobra 4 into 4 slashcut Exhaust
$1500 thus far and no end in sight.

Here's something that might help (taken from Vmaxoutlaw website);

October 2002

<HR>The stock fork springs in the V-Max are very weak and get weaker very quickly. This creates a mushy front end feel along with excessive braking dive, and can contribute to the dreaded 'wobble' or high speed instability problem the V-Max has been saddled with since it's introduction (due to reduced front end 'rake'). Fortunately the fix is relatively easy, replace the springs with quality aftermarket versions. Progressive Suspension makes a quality set of springs at a reasonable price. Here are the Progressive Suspension brand part numbers for the V-Max:
  • Early model (1985 - 1992) - Progressive part# 11-1129
  • Late models (1993 - present) - Progressive part# 11-1144
The springs can be bought online at Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse for $57.95/pair + shipping using the above part numbers to locate the correct springs for your model. We also recommend you change the fork oil with the springs. Use a quality 20W motorcycle fork oil and fill to recommended level as outlined in the Yamaha V-Max service manual. Instructions for replacing the springs can also be found in the service manual.
Progressive Suspension has a technical sheet on fork spring installation and tuning available here.
Good luck and don't put off this crucial step in improving your V-Max and making it more road-worthy and safe.

Mike

Mine came with these installed by the former owner. I never rode the bike without them so I can't comment on how it felt before. However, it does feel pretty good to ride. I also have new stock rear shocks.

Mike

I plan on tackling this myself.
Is it difficult?
Any step by step directions on the forum?

2007 Vmax
Ufo STarfighter Seat
Mek Bolt Kit
Progressive 412 rear shocks
Cobra 4 into 4 slashcut Exhaust
$1500 thus far and no end in sight.

Go here for fork work...

http://www.vmaxforum.net/faq.php?faq=vmax_tech_faq_1#faq_front_forks

The bottom bolt size varies on years so don't go by that 100%

The Progressives make a HUGE difference but also swap out the oil with some 15wt.

Chris

Yea that link is dead :0(

Here's something that might help (taken from Vmaxoutlaw website);

October 2002

<HR>The stock fork springs in the V-Max are very weak and get weaker very quickly. This creates a mushy front end feel along with excessive braking dive, and can contribute to the dreaded 'wobble' or high speed instability problem the V-Max has been saddled with since it's introduction (due to reduced front end 'rake'). Fortunately the fix is relatively easy, replace the springs with quality aftermarket versions. Progressive Suspension makes a quality set of springs at a reasonable price. Here are the Progressive Suspension brand part numbers for the V-Max:
  • Early model (1985 - 1992) - Progressive part# 11-1129
  • Late models (1993 - present) - Progressive part# 11-1144
The springs can be bought online at Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse for $57.95/pair + shipping using the above part numbers to locate the correct springs for your model. We also recommend you change the fork oil with the springs. Use a quality 20W motorcycle fork oil and fill to recommended level as outlined in the Yamaha V-Max service manual. Instructions for replacing the springs can also be found in the service manual.

Progressive Suspension has a technical sheet on fork spring installation and tuning available here.
Good luck and don't put off this crucial step in improving your V-Max and making it more road-worthy and safe.

Mike​

Mine came with these installed by the former owner. I never rode the bike without them so I can't comment on how it felt before. However, it does feel pretty good to ride. I also have new stock rear shocks.

Mike

Bump

The Progressive springs come with their own directions as well. It's VERY simple.

Chris

The Progressive springs come with their own directions as well. It's VERY simple.

Chris

Thx Chris,
Do you or anyone know if I need to return the air into the air assist built into the forks or just go with springs and oil?

Thx Chris,
Do you or anyone know if I need to return the air into the air assist built into the forks or just go with springs and oil?

No air! Just springs. You'll love the difference. I would go with 15wt oil. Silkolene is a good oil that gets pretty good reviews.

It takes a NASA scientist to decipher the directions taht came in the box.
All I want to know is how much oil to put back in, and the spacer length.
Has anyone done this procedure before and can you post a step by step guide here?
I probably should have made myself clear early on in the post.

Thx yet again.

No air! Just springs. You'll love the difference. I would go with 15wt oil. Silkolene is a good oil that gets pretty good reviews.

How much oil will I need? (We're doing two bikes at once). I've found several places that sell it online, are there any common stores where anyone's found it?

Just remember to do one side at a time. 15 wt without any air is best IMO. It really is simple.

Use a clear piece of hose and measure 4.8 inches down from one end. When measureing oil level make sure springs and spacers are removed and forks fully compressed.

Use a clear piece of hose and measure 4.8 inches down from one end. When measureing oil level make sure springs and spacers are removed and forks fully compressed.

Ahh.. ok this makes sense on how to do it, but how much do I need to buy ahead of time, 1 bottle? 1 pint? (per bike)

-Joey

I bought 1 liter bottle of Belray and it was more than enough.

Latest posts

Back