Ordered the progressive front fork springs and need assistance

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The manual states 15.3 US oz. per leg for 85-92 and 21 US oz per leg for 93-up. This is probably if bone dry. I am planning on installing Progressive springs this weekend myself, was just waiting for the case guards to come in.

I just replaced the fork springs and oil and one litre was not enough to do both forks. If doing 2 bikes, you will need 3 litres.

You have me thinking Howard. I did mine with forks on bike and maybe I didn't add enough oil. Paul told me to level off at 4.8 inches. I looked at service manual and for early forks it's 5.5 inches. Yay, another project.

The level is higher because smaller diameter forks. For example, capacity of early model forks is 451 cc. Late model is 621 cc.

It's like squeezing a water balloon. When you do, it gets longer...huh-huh.

You have me thinking Howard. I did mine with forks on bike and maybe I didn't add enough oil. Paul told me to level off at 4.8 inches. I looked at service manual and for early forks it's 5.5 inches. Yay, another project.

Actually, you added too much oil.

Use a clear piece of hose and measure 4.8 inches down from one end. When measureing oil level make sure springs and spacers are removed and forks fully compressed.

Sorry to spaz out, but my ruler has its inches divided into 16th!

So I just wanna make sure I'm doing this right. By 4.8 inches, did you mean 8 10ths of an inch?

So on my ruler, it's 4 and 12.8 16ths, right?

:ummm::ummm::ummm:

Is 111144 the right part no# for the progressive fork springs for a 99 max I looked it up and it states for road king or something like that or are they the same springs. And are these springs stock size or the shorter version and has anyone got the part no# on the correct fork oil that should be used?
Thanks
Rick

Yup, #111144 is the correct number. I ordered mine from Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse $72.37 delivered. Don't know if that is a good price or not, but seemed reasonable.
Use Silkolene 15 wt fork oil. Should be available at most bike shops.

just got the new progressive springs and I'm ready to start this project.
However local shop doesnt carry silkolene fork oil but they do have Amsoil
synethic fork oil.Naturaly they say Amsoil is better but I'd like to hear you guys opinion.I know I've been well pleased with Amsoil synthetic engine oil
just no sure about thier for fork oil.Also what weight oil would ya'll recommend if
I choose to run the Amsoil?

Thanks in advance
tuner

Last edited:
I just went by weight - 15W is the best choice according to most posts here.

My bike shop had 'Bel Ray' fork oil so I just went with that and it's absolutely fine.

I love Amsoil, but I went with 20W Bel Ray because I'm on a tight budget this year, & it works great with my 20 dollar used progressive fork springs from E-bay. Sure I would love brand new this & extra chromed that, but I use what I can afford, & you know what ? It works ! But I also should admit that I'm a maintenance nut & I'll change my fork oil again next year whether it looks bad or not - I think Amsoil is a great choice, but if I'm tight that week I'll go with the cheaper brand knowing that I'll change it again before it wears out.

Have the parts already but no drain plugs in the fork legs of my '97, hard to change the oil with out pulling the forks? Been putting it off for a long time because of this. I suppose I could try and suck some out but that doesn't seem like it would remove enough of the old oil. Anyone without drain plugs changed the springs and oil?

Back