problem / pics of plugs / opinion?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE:

1.) Trimmed spark plug boot a sliver to ensure it is seated.
2.) Re-installed all plugs
3.) Checked for spark (grounded on valve covers) nice, solid blue spark.

Took it for a test ride.

STILL snap crackle and popping until about 4k rpm.

STILL stumbling and sounding the crap.

Looked at problem plug - dry and no black carbon.

:(

You problem sounds kinda like mine, although mine is not as bad as yours. Mine is only from a stop trying to get going it sputters and I have to rev the motor to get enough rpms to take off.

I am planning on doing the "Shotgun" have you thought about that? maybe it just gunk in your carbs?

Sounds like a carb issue to me. Up to ~4k rpm you are on the idle circuit which is the most susceptible to plugging up with schmutz (that is the technical term I do believe) from the fuel system. Did you re-jet the bike when Brad was monkeying around with the carbs? If so I would imagine that when changing the mains he caused some junk to break loose in the bowl and it has found its way to the idle circuit in the carbs. The shotgun and the peashooter can really go a long way to helping. Also, if you want to, you can bring it by my place Sunday afternoon or I can come by and we can take a look and see what is up.

I don't think it's going to be dirty carbs.

The only reason is the problem started with changing plugs - and a lose exhaust. Both of those problems have since been addressed...

We also synched the carbs - however, they are 98% in synch already. So minimal tweaking was done.

COULD be the A/F ratio - but I am not experienced enough to fool around with that myself.

Sounds like a carb issue to me. Up to ~4k rpm you are on the idle circuit which is the most susceptible to plugging up with schmutz (that is the technical term I do believe) from the fuel system. Did you re-jet the bike when Brad was monkeying around with the carbs? If so I would imagine that when changing the mains he caused some junk to break loose in the bowl and it has found its way to the idle circuit in the carbs. The shotgun and the peashooter can really go a long way to helping. Also, if you want to, you can bring it by my place Sunday afternoon or I can come by and we can take a look and see what is up.

Damn I wish I has someone like you living close to me.............lol For a long time I didn't even think anyone in 3 states had a VMAX close to me and then found out that a guy a block and a half away has a 92...

Ron

I don't think it's going to be dirty carbs.

The only reason is the problem started with changing plugs - and a lose exhaust. Both of those problems have since been addressed...

We also synched the carbs - however, they are 98% in synch already. So minimal tweaking was done.

COULD be the A/F ratio - but I am not experienced enough to fool around with that myself.

I find it hard to believe that it's my carbs also because this happened when I got the bike out of winter storage and a few weeks before Sean rebuilt my carbs... and I know they were done right cause the bike ran great.

My problems just happened while sitting all winter so as they say in the Shotgun intrustions, this problem can come out of nowhere and make you feel it is all kinds of things and once the shotgun is done many say the problems go away.

It's worth me giving it a try and if that don't work I'll do the peashooter, if that doesn't work I guess Sean will be getting my carbs to look at if he has the time.. I hope we won't get to that point.

Ron

Ghost,

I want you to try something for me. Your enrichment adjustment screws (under the slide covers) have been adjusted correct? What I would do is back ALL of them completely out and spray some carb cleaner through the hole using the straw that comes with the cleaner. When you pull them out be VERY careful so you don't loose the small o-ring or the spring that is on the screw. Then run them all the way in, but do NOT tighten them up or they can get damaged, and back them out 2.5 turns. Start the bike and let it warm up. Once it is warm run each screw in very carefully , one at a time, until the idle starts to drop, back out until it smooths out and go 1/4 turn more. Then ride it and see what happens. Your description is of a carb issue 95% of the time.

OK, I can give it a shot. I am just a little nervous about playing with the carbs myself - but I will give it a shot!

I will be back in a bit! (have to pick up some carb cleaner)

Ghost,

I want you to try something for me. Your enrichment adjustment screws (under the slide covers) have been adjusted correct? What I would do is back ALL of them completely out and spray some carb cleaner through the hole using the straw that comes with the cleaner. When you pull them out be VERY careful so you don't loose the small o-ring or the spring that is on the screw. Then run them all the way in, but do NOT tighten them up or they can get damaged, and back them out 2.5 turns. Start the bike and let it warm up. Once it is warm run each screw in very carefully , one at a time, until the idle starts to drop, back out until it smooths out and go 1/4 turn more. Then ride it and see what happens. Your description is of a carb issue 95% of the time.

None of my business but why not have him do the full Shotgun?? if he is going that far why not do it the whole way.

But like I said it's none of my business?

None of my business but why not have him do the full Shotgun?? if he is going that far why not do it the whole way.

But like I said it's none of my business?

None of my bidnezz either, but, if he's not comfortable adjusting carbs, he probably shouldn't pull the slides to do a full shotgun by himself the first time.

None of my bidnezz either, but, if he's not comfortable adjusting carbs, he probably shouldn't pull the slides to do a full shotgun by himself the first time.

I agree it is not something I am thrilled about doing for the first time either but I would rather do the whole job than half and cross my fingers. There are enough on here would could help him, sounds like you are close maybe you could help him. I just hate to see him do half the job and have it do nothing so I will cross my fingers and hope it works for him

Ron

update:

I didn't take the screws out, however, I did back them in (didn't over tighten) and then back them out 2.5 turns.

They were 3-4 turns out before I touched them.

I am going to wait until Vmaxrider is present and we are going to take em apart and do the shotgun in a few days.

Haven't been able to test the bike yet with the adjusted screws though. Rain.

Yep! Thanks!
I read that this morning.
I asked where I could buy some more of the rubber caps.
Mine are 13 years old.

I kind of wish there was a kit that contained a slew of hoses and clamps and plugs and common screws that was available to "refresh" a lot of the critical areas of the max.

Ya know?

OH, on Tuesday me and Vmaxrider are likely going to do the shotgun.
And tomorrow, on Friday, I am likely going to get together with a local VMOA member and he's going to have a look for me in the evening when I get off work.

So hopefully I'll have a resolution to post up!

SOLVED via help pf a local VMOA guy.
He did a quick blast with compressed air and immediate results.
Runs like a top now.

Thanks to vmaxrider for the phone help and offer to drive through the ugliest rush hour to come give me a hand!

Back