Problen with 2001 R1 Calipers on 1986 VMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickVMX86

Reaction score
Problem with 2001 R1 Calipers on 1986 VMax

Hello Members and Visitors,

Based on what I've been reading I bought a set of 2001 R1 calipers (blue dot) on eBay for $140. My understanding was that they would be a simple bolt on swap for my 1986 VMax.

Much to my surprise, they're not. The span between the mounting bolts on the R1 calipers is greater than that of the stock calipers.

My questions are: 1) Was my research wrong regarding the simple R1 upgrade or 2) is it possible that the calipers that I purchased on eBay are not off a 2001 R1?

Thanx in advance,

Nick

Ya, R1 calipers are a bolt-on upgrade on 93-07 Maxs, not 85-92. Your research was slightly off.

You *can* fit R1 calipers to an 85-92, but you need adapters, which either Sean Morley (one2dmax) or Steve (jedi) can supply you with.

BUT, you will also need bigger rotors! Either OEM ones from a 93-07 Vmax, or the ones from an R1, or those lovely looking and well priced chinese ones a bunch of us are using. See attached pic on my '86 Max.

They can be found here: http://cgi.ebay.com/FRONT-BRAKE-DIS...0561495770?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories

Attachments

• P1080469.jpg
    P1080469.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 52
Thanx Naughty and Godsend. I pinged Sean about a new set up. I was trying to aviod new rotors as I've heard some horror stories about difficulty in removing the originals on older bikes. I've seen the threads on the Chinese rotors and they deffinately look sweet.

I may be going the Busa rout. Anyboody looking to buy 2001 R1 Calipers? :bang head:

Here is the Hayabusa calipers/ wavy rotors(Chinese)/ Sean's adapter/ SS lines on my '92.

Attachments

• IMG_0844.jpg
    IMG_0844.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0847.jpg
    IMG_0847.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 41
I was trying to avoid new rotors as I've heard some horror stories about difficulty in removing the originals on older bikes.

It really isn't that bad. All you need is to make sure you have some replacement bolts in case you strip any, and some blue loctite thread compound.
Then you need a manual impact driver and the right size allen bit.
If that fails (it did me a few times), you simply grab a center punch and a hammer, and hit the side of the bolt's head - it will break the loctite and unscrew no problem.
Then do not overtighten the new ones, making sure to put a drop of blue loctite on the threads. If you reuse your old bolts, make sure to clean of the old thread compound first!
I may be going the Busa route. Anybody looking to buy 2001 R1 Calipers? :bang head:

Talk to Sean. He might do you a deal on an exchange.

Sean has outfitted me with a complete Busa set up and he's taken my R1 calipers as a partial trade. I should have everything this weekend. Hopefully, the next post you see from me will be pics of the successful conversion :-D

I'm making progress on the upgrade. Slow, but sure since I have little time to wrench during the week and my weekends are pretty busy.

Thursday night I pulled the front wheel off. The hard part was positioning the bike in the garage, so that I could still get my car in and work on the bike while it's immobile.

Amazingly and much to my surprise I was able to get the rotors off with just a torch wrench. I used the torch wrench because it's extra long and provided greater leverage. All the bolts came off with little effort and they're all in good shape, too.

So, I've passed the area of this project that most concerned me without issue and I didn't have to use my shiny new impact wrench.

Hopefully I can finish the project by early next week.

Thanx to all for thier collaboration on this thread!

More to come...

It's raining, so I'm wrenching
smil458b0402ebcbc.gif
Just a quick question - With the the late model Vmax rotors for this set up is there a left and right rotor or are they interchangeable? I can't locate a directional arrow and they look to be identical.

It's raining, so I'm wrenching
smil458b0402ebcbc.gif
Just a quick question - With the the late model Vmax rotors for this set up is there a left and right rotor or are they interchangeable? I can't locate a directional arrow and they look to be identical.

Latest posts

Back