Radials on stock 15 inch rear wheel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You only need radials if you were going to do some spirited riding and want the upgrade that transforms a Vmax to a different machine. Don't discount how well a vmax will handle with radials on it till you ride one. If price is a concern, motorcycle tires are cheap enough. My last Metzler z6 interactive rear was $98.00 on a close out through Bike Bandit. I buy the Z6 because I like the tire a lot. I'd pay double if I had to. A good bias ply could be had for even less.
Steve-o

Steering becomes much-more precise w/radials, especially in the 4th & 5th gear territory (you know what I mean). It's not a contemporary sportbike, but it becomes much-better than stock. Running new tires of any sort (quality tires, not Cheng Shins) if the suspension & all bearings are OK, will improve the bike's handling. Running radials will improve it that much-more. I did a used Kosman rear wheel w/new Bridgestone BT023 tires and it ran me under $750. As I have posted before, I consider it to be the #1 biggest change you can make to the bike's dynamics. Save your $ and do it, and you will never regret it.

You only need radials if you were going to do some spirited riding and want the upgrade that transforms a Vmax to a different machine. Don't discount how well a vmax will handle with radials on it till you ride one. If price is a concern, motorcycle tires are cheap enough. My last Metzler z6 interactive rear was $98.00 on a close out through Bike Bandit. I buy the Z6 because I like the tire a lot. I'd pay double if I had to. A good bias ply could be had for even less.
Steve-o

I guess another V-Max rider has beaten me to the Darkside.....

eq3tbb.jpg

I got me a set of darkside handle bars. You make them out of broomstick, just cut to the right length.

It doesn't make the bike handle badly, just different. To be honest, I can't tell the difference, and you know that my experience and skill level is HUGE.
With the difference in price, you would be mad not to do it. I mean $3 compared to $70 - you do the math.
You always get somebody who says "What happens if you snap the bars off by accident?", but seriously, I just don't ride as fast as a race rider.
The only reason handlebars cost so much is because most people don't know that they are just charging you for nothing. There isn't any difference in the design of a broomstick and some handlebars. Wood also flexs quite readily, which in fact makes it less likely to break if something happens. Metal is too rigid, and it's what causes your arms to hurt on long rides.
Most bike shops won't fit them for you, but that's just because of some lame-ass insurance bullshit, which people just make up anyway so they can charge you more.

AND, for all of you doubting Thomas', it's called the darkside not because it's a really stupid thing to do, but because the guy who thought up the idea was 100% blind.
He can't see a f'ng thing, and he managed to work it out. Why can't you?

:rofl_200:

I got me a set of darkside handle bars. You make them out of broomstick, just cut to the right length.

It doesn't make the bike handle badly, just different. To be honest, I can't tell the difference, and you know that my experience and skill level is HUGE.
With the difference in price, you would be mad not to do it. I mean $3 compared to $70 - you do the math.
You always get somebody who says "What happens if you snap the bars off by accident?", but seriously, I just don't ride as fast as a race rider.
The only reason handlebars cost so much is because most people don't know that they are just charging you for nothing. There isn't any difference in the design of a broomstick and some handlebars. Wood also flexs quite readily, which in fact makes it less likely to break if something happens. Metal is too rigid, and it's what causes your arms to hurt on long rides.
Most bike shops won't fit them for you, but that's just because of some lame-ass insurance bullshit, which people just make up anyway so they can charge you more.

AND, for all of you doubting Thomas', it's called the darkside not because it's a really stupid thing to do, but because the guy who thought up the idea was 100% blind.
He can't see a f'ng thing, and he managed to work it out. Why can't you?

:rofl_200:

Now that is some fucking funny shit right there.

Ok now seriously, where can I can a set of broomstick handlebars, I mean I have to have this mod on my max.

Mike

What a great analogy!

You'd think one picture of a car tire mounted to the rear of a bike, cornering, shot from behind, while the tire is up on the edge of the tread, and almost onto the sidewall would be enough to get these foolhardy riders to realize the foolishness of their ways. If you have a sidecar, or it's a trike, then car tires, maybe, but otherwise, "just say no!"

Now that is some fucking funny shit right there.

Ok now seriously, where can I can a set of broomstick handlebars, I mean I have to have this mod on my max.

Mike

You would probably have better luck finding an authorized M/C dealer that would mount wooden handlebars, than one that would put a car tire on a motorcycle rim. At least in the town that I live in.

Frank - your preferred style of riding sounds like mine - not fast, not aggressive. Why not invest in Metzler Marathon tires - they stick well, and are super long lasting.
In my opinion, for a "cruising" style of riding, there should be no need to invest a lot of hard-earned $$$$ into fancy rims and radial tires. Instead, use a fraction of that money and upgrade the suspension components of your bike. Makes a world of difference, and the '80's vintage V-Max will handle most anything us slowpokes can throw at it.
Cheers!

I guess I just don't see the point?? Just to "say" you have a radial??? The whole purpose of going to a radial tire is for more stable handling, by mounting a car tire on there you lose the only benefit of going to a radial in the first place. The money spent on that abomination could have got you a Shinko and you'd be riding... Just seems like a colossal waste of time and money and very unsafe...

sent from my HTC Rezound using tapatalk

You would probably have better luck finding an authorized M/C dealer that would mount wooden handlebars, than one that would put a car tire on a motorcycle rim. At least in the town that I live in.

Frank - your preferred style of riding sounds like mine - not fast, not aggressive. Why not invest in Metzler Marathon tires - they stick well, and are super long lasting.
In my opinion, for a "cruising" style of riding, there should be no need to invest a lot of hard-earned $$$$ into fancy rims and radial tires. Instead, use a fraction of that money and upgrade the suspension components of your bike. Makes a world of difference, and the '80's vintage V-Max will handle most anything us slowpokes can throw at it.
Cheers!

Hey Miles, you're absolutely right. BTW, I am running Metzler Marathon tires now....

Edit.....nevermind...........:biglaugh:

Wow this is some cool and funny info, Any here try riding car tire on a vmax?

The closest sized radial tire I've found comparable to the stock 150/90-15, is a 165/80R-15 which is......a car tire. I know the flame throwing will start, but I think I'm going with an Avon AV55 ST Storm 2 110/80R-18 for the front and a 165/80R-15 Nexen radial tire for the rear....

For a 150/90-15,
Diameter = 25.6
Width = 5.91
Sidewall = 5.31
Circumference = 80.5
Revs/Mile = 787.3

For the 165/80R-15,
Diameter = 25.4
Width = 6.5
Sidewall = 5.2
Circumference = 79.7
Revs/Mile = 794.6

Here is atire that might fit if you want to go to radials cheaply. Not the best brand but should fit. :confused2:

On the Amazon site it says radials....on bike bandit...it says bias ply.

Attachments

• SnipImage (1).jpg
    SnipImage (1).jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 20
the point still remains you are either going to gain a TON of rpms to get a correctly sidewalled radial tire, or if you have like an 80% aspect ratio radial, you're still going to have that flex in the tire, which IMHO causes a lot of the instability in bias ply.

the point still remains you are either going to gain a TON of rpms to get a correctly sidewalled radial tire, or if you have like an 80% aspect ratio radial, you're still going to have that flex in the tire, which IMHO causes a lot of the instability in bias ply.
I agree and the BIAS Ply Sidewall is a lot stronger than a Radial Sidewall due to the way they are constructed.
So, I'd think the Radial with the same size sidewall as a Bias would be a lot worse for handling.

Back