Rear Diff Swap for Lower Revs?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FordCrusherGT

Reaction score
I just picked up my 2000 VMax today. I've ridden them before and decided that I wanted one, after having had a Bandit 1200 previously and a KZ700 before that. This particular VMax is carbon fiber in color, with a SportMax seat and handlebars. The thing is extremely comfortable to ride like this, moreso than I would have expected. It also has a Kerker 4-1 exhaust on it which is too loud for my taste (see another post I'll make in exhaust). Got a great deal on it, and the thing is in mint condition.

My primary complaint is that the bike feels like it's got 4.10s in it when it has the torque for 3.08s. Really I would like to see a way to drop the revs about 25-30% on it. With a chain drive this would be simple, but with a shaft drive not so much. Can you all recommend anything for me, or am I essentially going to be stuck with this? This motor doesn't need to rev that high, and on long trips that will get really annoying, really quickly.

You can swap in the Venture rear end, it will lower your RPMs, but you lose some low end. PM one2dmax on this forum, he may have some of those rear ends in stock.

FordCrusherGT said:
I just picked up my 2000 VMax today. I've ridden them before and decided that I wanted one, after having had a Bandit 1200 previously and a KZ700 before that. This particular VMax is carbon fiber in color, with a SportMax seat and handlebars. The thing is extremely comfortable to ride like this, moreso than I would have expected. It also has a Kerker 4-1 exhaust on it which is too loud for my taste (see another post I'll make in exhaust). Got a great deal on it, and the thing is in mint condition.

My primary complaint is that the bike feels like it's got 4.10s in it when it has the torque for 3.08s. Really I would like to see a way to drop the revs about 25-30% on it. With a chain drive this would be simple, but with a shaft drive not so much. Can you all recommend anything for me, or am I essentially going to be stuck with this? This motor doesn't need to rev that high, and on long trips that will get really annoying, really quickly.

Do you have 17 inch radials in the rear? something like a 180/55X17 tire?
or is it stock rear wheel/tire? if you have smaller diameter rear tire the RPM will increase to an annoying level. these are the numbers I am getting 60 mph = 3700 RPM in 5th gear
70 mph = 4100 RPM in 5th
80 mph = 4900 ~ 5000 RPM in 5th.
________
Chevy information

Last edited:
Thanks for the numbers, firefly. My numbers are the same as yours, so it's all stock. I'll PM one2max about some Venture rear ends. Thanks for the help!

FordCrusherGT said:
Thanks for the numbers, firefly. My numbers are the same as yours, so it's all stock. I'll PM one2max about some Venture rear ends. Thanks for the help!

With a venture differential it will lower your RPM but will also effectively castrate the bike making it accelerate like a snail do you really want that? you will get 70 mph at 3800-3900 rpms using a venture differential.
________
Dodge 500 specifications

Last edited:
Could someone tell me what yrs. Venture will fit my 88 max and is that all I need is the pumpkin no one has really gone into detail on what's needed

86-93. You will either need a new stud or move over your old one. I normally have good used ones available though I am not sure what my current stock is.

Sean

8e7ypy7e.jpg
ga2azu3y.jpg
a6ehepyj.jpg
y5u9y2e6.jpg

All cleaned, detailed and lubricated ready to bolt Venture diff. $350 shipped in the USA. PM me if interested.

When in doubt...Gas it !!!

This one is paint but I have powdercoated them with one caveat or warning. You must partially dissassemble these to degrease them. It is a part designed to take some heat anyway but I tore down everything I could without getting into bearings and pinion. That means the ring was pulled and the unit tanked and degreased. I don't think it is a job I would do for others because of all the labor involved but it can safely and effectively be done. I think a few of the aftermarket guys offer it but of course they charge you accordingly.

The venture final drive differential pumpkin will lower your RPM in EVERY gear (15% gear reduction), although if you have a engine that has seen a performance build (more HP) it will work well.
If your just looking to have a gear that you can cruise the hwy at lower rpm's check out Sean's 5th gear mod whereas he installs a Royal star 5th gear (plus other mods) to give you a 25% gear reduction. But only in 5th gear, you still would have gears 1-4 to release your inner hooligan as needed.:punk:
I have done this on mine with only aftermarket pipe and jet kit. What I have found is that when riding with other hooligan Vmaxers I have to rev out 4th gear because when I hit 5th they just walk away from me. It's I tradeoff that works for me because most of the time I use 5th for the long trips that I normally make 6+ times a year. Better fuel mileage, less revs, and acceptable top gear passing ability.

This one is paint but I have powdercoated them with one caveat or warning. You must partially dissassemble these to degrease them. It is a part designed to take some heat anyway but I tore down everything I could without getting into bearings and pinion. That means the ring was pulled and the unit tanked and degreased. I don't think it is a job I would do for others because of all the labor involved but it can safely and effectively be done. I think a few of the aftermarket guys offer it but of course they charge you accordingly.

Thanks for the info, when I looked into it I started to wonder about those bearings. I guess I'll just repaint mine.

I had a Venture pumpkin on a stock engined '86 and loved it. It was a tiny bit slower on initial acceleration, but then felt faster in the vboost range because of the taller gearing.

For me it pretty much dropped about 500rpm across the range for the same given speed. I did do a lot of highway miles so it was perfect.

On my 2000 here, I won't bother as the speed limits are so much lower down under..

It's a 10% change in every gear since it's after the trans (3.66 ratio vs 3.33). Our 5th gear is 23% change and much more effective at making it feel like you don't need to find another gear. The downside is the cost to install.

If one decides to upgrade or fix their tranny, why not have Sean do it all with updated segment (if needed) undercut and fifth gear. Probably just paying for initial labor and upgraded parts I would think? A better time and better deal I could not imagine. Go to a stealership and they'd probably ask you to pay to split the cases three times for the three mods! If I had the $ that's the way I would go.

I steer guys away from the OD trans just because of the increased cost. The venture diff is simple and easy install. I think I have one sale unit that was coated (but not perfect) left on hand.

Sean

Back