Ride to Hell!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im in! If Aug. is too busy for everyone,lets not forget sept. is a great time to ride in Michigan.:punk:

Im working with buster to get this going, I have my son until labor day weekend so my first real open date is Sept 18th.

I dont see any other events scheduled for this weekend, how does this date look for everyone?

Im working with buster to get this going, I have my son until labor day weekend so my first real open date is Sept 18th.

I dont see any other events scheduled for this weekend, how does this date look for everyone?

Would be a tough one for some of us from Ontario as the day before is our Niagara Falls ride. Could make it one continuous ride for us.

I would like to make the niagra ride, if you want to combine these two we can do that, or I can move the ride to Hell out to October 2nd.

The earlier this happens in October the better for me as I believe last year October was the last month I rode. Temps and changable weather up here put a ? on any late season rides.

Im in contact with Jim and Buster, we will either be doing a joint niagra-hell ride the weekend of 17-18th or niagra ride on the 17th and the ride to hell on oct 2nd.

There is also the lakes ride on sept 4th. Agenda's havent really been set on any of these, but I'll keep eveyone posted as we get things scheduled.

Hello Everyone,

Steve here from Lansing Michigan, I am down for a Hell ride, Dexters Trail out of Mason is GREAT for twisties. Hope to meet up with everyone...

Im in contact with Jim and Buster, we will either be doing a joint niagra-hell ride the weekend of 17-18th or niagra ride on the 17th and the ride to hell on oct 2nd.

There is also the lakes ride on sept 4th. Agenda's havent really been set on any of these, but I'll keep eveyone posted as we get things scheduled.

Want to keep this thread current as I have missed every ride this season because of work!!:bang head: Let me know if you need some help organizing this.

I'm still up for the Hell ride, need to lock in a date asap as I like to keep one step ahead of my wife when it comes to marking the calendar!.................:biglaugh:...........................Tom.

On my calendar!!!! Ebein_486, I talked to Damon and he said he would be willing to help out too. Do know he knows some nice ride routes around that area. Keep me in the loop if there is anything I can do to help and hopefully we will see you at the Niagara Ride.

I went to college in MI (Lansing area) & back then, we used to take long late night trips into the MI countryside to explore. Hell was an occasional trip, it was ~45 mi. from campus. One trip I recall, we were in my friend's brand-new MG Midget on-which he had a big, round pair of Lucas Flamethrower driving lamps. As we drove those desolate country backroads towards Hell, being the dead of winter, and with temps usually in the 'teens, the farmers' fields lying fallow & covered with the white shroud of snow, there just wasn't much moving. Occasionally you could catch some movement as deer rambled across the fields foraging. Besides them it looked like we were the only ones out. The Lucas Flamethrowers put a narrow, long pattern down the road, they couldn't be used if there was any traffic in-front of you either coming or going. When you turned a corner, it was like a scythe of light cutting-across the terrain, bouncing-off the farmers' barns and houses sparsely situated along the route. The MG's heater was on full-blast and we were also well-wrapped-up in winter clothes, you didn't want to die of exposure if something happened. The rural roads were a low-priority to be county-plowed, so you didn't do this run unless the snow had been cleared after the last storm.

When we got there, there was nothing to see or do at thal late time of night, we didn't know anyone there, so, "reverse-course!" Back to the campus and maybe we'd make it to those 8 a.m. classes.

The roads to & from there were not particularly challenging, but I am sure that someone who was more-local could suggest some pleasing routes.

Anytime lower MI is mentioned, I always put-in a plug for my favorite west MI museum:
http://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/html/content_page.php?content_id=4&

I looked at their calender & saw nothing happening yet scheduled in Oct., the last event is middle of Sept. but that may change as they are open year-round. It's about 90 mi. west of Hell and there is some good curvy-road riding around that part of the state. I can recommend M-89, M-43, and M-37 as having some pleasing rides. I'd say M-37 on the west side of Battle Creek where it's known as Bedford Rd. & heads north towards Hastings (home of USAC driver and Indy 500 winner in '73 & '82 Gordon Johncock, who was often sponsored by the same family which owns the Gilmore Car Museum) and eventually hits Grand Rapids by the Gerald R Ford Airport is a nice trip with smooth roads, elevation changes, and places to stop & eat if you wish. Then you can catch I-96 and hotfoot it back east towards Lansing & Detroit/Windsor.

Here's hoping for good weather at that time. I was up there for my 40th high school reunion & did that ride up M37 but it was in a car, still, lots of fun and doubly-interesting because I ran into a vintage car festival in Hastings when I was on my way to Gerald R Ford-Grand Rapids Airport, and for most of my trip from Kalamazoo/Battle Creek I was traveling with or meeting cars coming from the event. It was a postcard day, moderate temps, big cumulus clouds, and hundreds of old cars, trucks, and bikes coming and going. It made me pine for living in MI, but those feelings stop when it's below O there and 70's in Miami!

The boat is a twin-cockpit Century wood hull w/a Ford Interceptor 260 c.i. marine engine, that's the same basic motor Carrol Shelby put into the first Shelby AC Cobras. We caught our lunch that day.

Attachments

• ImportPhoto GL09 00061.jpg
    ImportPhoto GL09 00061.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 10
  • ImportPhoto GL09 00052.jpg
    ImportPhoto GL09 00052.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I currently have a route from a friends Mini Cooper club that says its mostly curvey/twisty roads. I have my son through the end of august so Its difficult for me to spend a whole day out scouting routes until september. But I will be out over the next few weekend for a few hours
just to get a feel for the area. ( hell is 75-90 minutes from my home ).

If there are folks that want to help scout routes PM me and we can get together to do some scout runs. Im hoping to run make the route between 130-160 miles with 4-5 scheduled stops for food/fuel etc.

I went to college in MI (Lansing area) & back then, we used to take long late night trips into the MI countryside to explore. Hell was an occasional trip, it was ~45 mi. from campus. One trip I recall, we were in my friend's brand-new MG Midget on-which he had a big, round pair of Lucas Flamethrower driving lamps. As we drove those desolate country backroads towards Hell, being the dead of winter, and with temps usually in the 'teens, the farmers' fields lying fallow & covered with the white shroud of snow, there just wasn't much moving. Occasionally you could catch some movement as deer rambled across the fields foraging. Besides them it looked like we were the only ones out. The Lucas Flamethrowers put a narrow, long pattern down the road, they couldn't be used if there was any traffic in-front of you either coming or going. When you turned a corner, it was like a scythe of light cutting-across the terrain, bouncing-off the farmers' barns and houses sparsely situated along the route. The MG's heater was on full-blast and we were also well-wrapped-up in winter clothes, you didn't want to die of exposure if something happened. The rural roads were a low-priority to be county-plowed, so you didn't do this run unless the snow had been cleared after the last storm.

When we got there, there was nothing to see or do at thal late time of night, we didn't know anyone there, so, "reverse-course!" Back to the campus and maybe we'd make it to those 8 a.m. classes.

The roads to & from there were not particularly challenging, but I am sure that someone who was more-local could suggest some pleasing routes.

Anytime lower MI is mentioned, I always put-in a plug for my favorite west MI museum:
http://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/html/content_page.php?content_id=4&

I looked at their calender & saw nothing happening yet scheduld in Oct., the last event is middle of Sept. but that may change as they are open year-round. It's about 90 mi. west of Hell and there is some good curvy-road riding around that part of the state. I can recommend M-89, M-43, and M-37 as having some pleasing rides. I'd say M-37 on the west side of Battle Creek where it's known as Bedford Rd. & heads north towards Hastings (home of USAC driver and Indy 500 winner in '73 & '82 Gordon Johncock, who was often sponsored by the same family which owns the Gilmore Car Museum) and eventually hits Grand Rapids by the Ron. Reagan Airport is a nice trip with smooth roads, elevation changes, and places to stop & eat if you wish. Then you can catch I-96 and hotfoot it back east towards Lansing & Detroit/Windsor.

Here's hoping for good weather at that time. I was up there for my 40th high school reunion & did that ride up M37 but it was in a car, still, lots of fun and doubly-interesting because I ran into a vintage car festival in Hastings when I was on my way to Ron Reagan Grand Rapids Airport, and for most of my trip from Kalamazoo/Battle Creek I was traveling with or meeting cars coming from the event. It was a postcard day, moderate temps, big cumulus clouds, and hundreds of old cars, trucks, and bikes coming and going. It made me pine for living in MI, but those feelings stop when it's below O there and 70's in Miami!

The boat is a twin-cockpit Century wood hull w/a Ford Interceptor 260 c.i. marine engine, that's the same basic motor Carrol Shelby put into the first Shelby AC Cobras. We caught our lunch that day.

I'll definately check out the roads you mentioned. Thanks for the Input.

I don't know if ex prez Ronny ever had an airport named after him but I know ours isn't, we sport the Gerald R Ford Intl Airport here in Grand Rapids, hey Bill, if you want to go out on a scout mission give me a pm or call and I'll meet up with ya and we can team it!......................Tom...................616-914-2693.

OOps! "Beekeeper" is entirely right!
Guess I was thinking of Washington DC...

Back