Seal kits for Front (busa) and Rear (OEM) Calipers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geek_Law

Reaction score
Hey Guys:

So I'm having my calipers powder coated and obviously the seals have to come out (else they be a gooey mess).

The powder coater says that he'll "try to save them," but this hardly sounds encouraging. Does anybody know the best place to get seal kits for the rear OEM caliper (1990) and the front frankenstein Busa Calipers?

I've never replaced caliper seals, but like most things, I figure if the parts can be found, it shouldn't be too bad to make them work again.

Any input is seriously appreciated. I suspect the bike won't stop very well without any brakes.

As always, your first port of call is Gary McCoy at Mondak Motorsports. If he can get them it'll be at a better price than anyone else, period.

They should come out easily. I've personally never had to replace a seal but taken plenty of them apart (not busa stuff yet but they are all about the same). You can take them apart yourself if you've got a compressor. Basically you have to remove the pistons first and that's accomplished with compressed air. A burst into the line connection point and they will usually pop out. Once the first one is out the rest are a bit harder since you need to seal off the big holes that they make.

I like to use my vise and set the distance so the pistons all move out as far as they can without having one come all the way. Then start blowing them out.

After they are out a pick or thin screwdriver can help get the seals (inner and outer) out.

Sean

As always, your first port of call is Gary McCoy at Mondak Motorsports. If he can get them it'll be at a better price than anyone else, period.

Thanks NG. I'll hang on to that reference and call them if I end up having to actually replace the seals. Sounds like, according to Sean, that they may be salvageable. :worthy:Here's to praying they are in good condition.

just got one from the dealer, they had it in stock. already was picking stuff up from them. its not hard at all. i just did one. altho i don't think it was necessary. easy to do, i promise.

now do u have to split the caliper halves to p/c? why does everything say not to separate them?

now do u have to split the caliper halves to p/c? why does everything say not to separate them?

I would think it's because you really do not wanna powder coat the facing surfaces, or it will screw everything. So it's prolly easier to keep it as one piece - less surfaces to mask out?

I would think it's because you really do not wanna powder coat the facing surfaces, or it will screw everything. So it's prolly easier to keep it as one piece - less surfaces to mask out?

Agreed. If you split them, you'll have to mask, but that's no different than having to mask all the other mating surfaces on the dozen other parts that I dropped off.

Regardless, I would say its better not to split them, just to get a cleaner end result. I did discuss this with the powder coater actually ... he was going to try to keep them together, but did not promise one way or the other.

I will certainly be posting pics once I get them back. I'm supposed to get them Saturday, and I'm also supposed to be dropping paint lines for all the tins on Saturday morning (with a different guy).

Should be an interesting weekend.

i guess i'm more curious why every repair manual says that you shouldn/t split the halves. makes sense you wouldn't want to when p/c tho.

Back