Sinking feeling

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thevmaxrider

Reaction score
You ever been doing something and heard a loud crash from your garage and get that sinking feeling? Well, I did this morning. Have been getting Toxic put together for the January Toronto Supershow. I had Toxic up on a race stand in the rear and a jack under the oil pan to facilitate removal of the front wheel instead of the race stand (cheap ass stand I have won't let you pulll the front axle out:bang head: ). When wrapping things up last night I thought to myself I may just want to put that front wheel back on just in case the brand new jack I had under the oil pan let go. Nah I thought, the jack is brand new and would never lower itself.

This morning on my way out the door to work what should I hear but a LOUD crash from the garage. Running out what should I find but Toxic laying on her left side:bang head::bang head::bang head:!!! Quickly replacing the front wheel on I picked my poor Max up off the floor. Luckily for me, and thanks to COO, my frame slider prevented there from being any damage to the bike with the exception of a completely screwed up shift lever.

Now I have to replace the shift lever AND learned a valuable lesson, trust your gut instinct and be cautious!!

Damn Jim, that sucks! Exactrep makes a sweet lever which would look right at home on Toxic!
If you get in a bind for the show I can send you my stock one b/c I'll won't be needing it for another 4 months!:damn angry:

THAT SUCKS!

Why did you move your shift lever to the right side of the bike though?

Chris

THAT SUCKS!

Chris

Nice catch, meant to type left but for some reason typed right. Thinking I did that because of the way I was looking at the bike when I went out the door (from the front). D'oh:bang head: Apparently I am having a really bad day LOL.

Uggg, that sucks, but what's done is done, chalk it up to lesson learned.

Hey left on a bike with a single can out the right is the best...

Glad it came out OK in the end...

Nice catch, meant to type left but for some reason typed right. Thinking I did that because of the way I was looking at the bike when I went out the door (from the front). D'oh:bang head: Apparently I am having a really bad day LOL.
Weird, I was thinking the same way and it didn't even register that you had it backwards!:rofl_200:

Before I added the centerstand back on Strafer, I was attempting to check the oil level by holding the bike straight up and kneeling down to look at the window. Damn bike's heavy when it's falling on top of you. I tried really hard but couldn't hold it up. Luckily, I got hurt worse than the bike. I knew the risk but went for it anyway. My Bad... Self inflicted Purple Heart. Kinda like shooting yourself in the Ass accidentally, and, No I don't have any plan of trying that any time soon.

Happy to hear Toxic survived with very minor damage... We live and learn....

Thats his profession :biglaugh:

BTW Jim.
It sucks!
More luck next time.

:ummm: Hey, Gotta love those Harbor Freight Tools and Jacks. Hope you get it fixed soon. Good Luck, Spurs

ya, every time i hear something loud while im in the house i always feel a little uneasy

I brought my bike home on a trailer in the rain. It was about a 6 hr ride. I was going thru a tunnel on the PA turnpike and heard a loud boom. My heart dropped, I felt sick instantly. I can't see the front of the trailer from int the truck so I had to wait till I got out of the tunnel and pull over to check it out. Turns out the bike was fine. The tire just exploded for no reason. It sucks changing a tire on the side of the turnpike, in the pouring rain.

I am the same i have been using a ratchet strap through the grab rail up to a ceiling joist just for that reason the tools you buy today are not worth the cost of the bike falling over,Jacks for some reason lose it after several hrs.

You ever been doing something and heard a loud crash from your garage and get that sinking feeling? Well, I did this morning. Have been getting Toxic put together for the January Toronto Supershow. I had Toxic up on a race stand in the rear and a jack under the oil pan to facilitate removal of the front wheel instead of the race stand (cheap ass stand I have won't let you pulll the front axle out:bang head: ). When wrapping things up last night I thought to myself I may just want to put that front wheel back on just in case the brand new jack I had under the oil pan let go. Nah I thought, the jack is brand new and would never lower itself.

This morning on my way out the door to work what should I hear but a LOUD crash from the garage. Running out what should I find but Toxic laying on her left side:bang head::bang head::bang head:!!! Quickly replacing the front wheel on I picked my poor Max up off the floor. Luckily for me, and thanks to COO, my frame slider prevented there from being any damage to the bike with the exception of a completely screwed up shift lever.

Now I have to replace the shift lever AND learned a valuable lesson, trust your gut instinct and be cautious!!

Hey Jim,

Ever since I got my COO frame sliders I've been using them for "points" for the shortest jack stands I could find; I lift the bike (being careful and using help, my wife) with a single jack and a 2 by 6 under the engine across the pipes, then insert the stands. once that's done I use a single jack under the rear stand lug (no rear stand any more) and stick two more stands under the rear pegs; I have solid non folding rear set pegs.

You'll never lose sleep with it like this.

Glad your bike is OK.....

Rusty

Well, went hunting for a new shift pedal. Have one from Woodcraft for a 2009 ZX6R that I think I can make work, just have to get the clearance correct which I think I massage out of the mount. Have to make a new shift rod, but again I have the answer from Woodcraft with a special length shift rod. Will keep working on it tomorrow and hope to have a pic or two maybe on the weekend. Was a hell of a lot cheaper than an OEM one too!!

THAT SUCKS!

Chris

I was thinking that he had one of those uber rare pre '74 VMaxes

Glad it wasn't as bad as it could've been

Back