Stuck scoop screw

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maleko89

Staff member
Reaction score
I went to take the left side off and stripped the allen head. It's so tight that it even snapped my easy out tool. What type of drill bit do I need to drill the whole thing out? The gold bits I have won't go through the snapped easy out.

take a torch lighter (if you have it use a small torch) and heat the bolt.Heat the head and most importantly heat the thread area if you can get to it at all then use a hammer and a flat head screw driver...angle the screw driver like a chisel and basically chisel it counter clock-wise until it breaks free.YOU ARE NOT TAKING THE HEAD OF THE BOLT OFF,youre chiseling it loose by going counter clock wise.

Heretic put 'em on yesterday after installing motor mounts. He tightened 'em more because of increased vibes.

take a torch lighter (if you have it use a small torch) and heat the bolt.Heat the head and most importantly heat the thread area if you can get to it at all then use a hammer and a flat head screw driver...angle the screw driver like a chisel and basically chisel it counter clock-wise until it breaks free.YOU ARE NOT TAKING THE HEAD OF THE BOLT OFF,youre chiseling it loose by going counter clock wise.

Thanks, I'll give my pencil torch a try. I can't see any threads so can only apply heat to the head. It's a stainless bolt so hopefully the screwdriver will get some bite.

Thanks, I'll give my pencil torch a try. I can't see any threads so can only apply heat to the head. It's a stainless bolt so hopefully the screwdriver will get some bite.

Mark, do you have a dremel tool? You could dremel a little shoulder to chisel on which would heat the bolt at the same time.

I can send you my dremel if you want.

dan-o

I had this problem recently when I stripped a M/C reservoir cover screw. I use a hammer and a 'pointer' - not sure what u guys would call this - you know that pointy tool you use to mark a point in metal before drilling? Just go to one side of the blot head and tap gently at first to make a mark, then a wee bit harder and it should start spinning. Sure heat will help too, but watch your paint..

When I've stripped out similar bolts, I've found success using a set of needle-nose vise grips.

If the head comes off and the other screws are out and the scoop can come off, you might be able the use some pointy pliers on the rest of the thread protruding under the threaded tab and wind it out anti -clockwise.

Gather the broken bits and "insert" them into Heretic...:rofl_200:

I had this problem recently when I stripped a M/C reservoir cover screw. I use a hammer and a 'pointer' - not sure what u guys would call this - you know that pointy tool you use to mark a point in metal before drilling? Just go to one side of the blot head and tap gently at first to make a mark, then a wee bit harder and it should start spinning. Sure heat will help too, but watch your paint..

That'll be a 'centerpunch' G. :eusa_dance:

I put anti-seize on those threads so this doesn't happen. The bikes vibes seem to tighten them so I see no reason to crank them down tight.

Chris

Mark-o,

Will this work in your dremel, it's a chain saw filing stone and measures 3/16" in dia. on the stone end.

Maybe you could angle it into the broken end of the scoop screw, it will get the screw red hot in no time and possibly would back out with needle-dick pliers.

Wanna give it a try? Say the word and it'll be on the way! :punk:

dan-o

Attachments

• 100_1615.jpg
    100_1615.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 16
Dan-o, I'll check the dremel when I get home and will let you know. Thanks!

Heretic put 'em on yesterday after installing motor mounts. He tightened 'em more because of increased vibes.

I think its odd. After I installed my solid mounts I had a problem with the bolts working themselves out so I always installed my scoops tight. I didn't tighten Mark's any tighter than I ever do mine and he was having problems getting them out. :confused2:

I have a little trick I use to remove broken easy-outs. I use the smallest welding tip in the torch kit, low flame so you can localize the heat. Once the easy-out is starting to glow, I add oxygen to create a cutting torch. Usually blows the super hard easy-out apart and out. I had to do this two weeks ago with a turbo housing that broke off a bolt then the easy-out. It's worked everytime I've needed to use it. It's amazing they call them easy-outs. They don't work very easy and they're hard to get out once broken.
You can drill the bolt head off with a 1/4 inch bit and pull the scoop off leaving plenty of bolt to remove it with vise-grips.
Good luck.
Paul

Well, finally got it out. I used a 3 inch cutoff wheel to cut slots in the head. I then used a big screwdriver and hammer to force it out.

Sorry Dan-o, I'll get your bit back to you when it arrives. I may include one of my special poses with it! lol

That's good news Mark-o, glad to hear you got it out.

Obviously word spread to the bolt that the 'super stone' was on the way from New York, and it just gave up and came out!! :biglaugh:

Why not hang onto it, maybe it'll come in handy next time you & Heretic get on a project together!! :rofl_200:

dan-o

LoL. Next project are Busa calipers and late model rotors! Maybe I can blue loctite Heretic's genitals!

Dan-o, please mail be a piece of pizza. :punk:

Back