The tire/tyre thread! Widest and best?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a marker light that I replaced the reflector with. It is wired into my stop light for more visability. I had one on my previous Max that was wired as a running light. Thanks for the chrome bracket tip. First I have heard of it.

My Kosman is an 18". They only show 17" on their website now (for $550). The 18" may be a special order. I got mine off eBay. Below is the link to Kosman. The wheel seems to be high quality but is kind of heavy. If I were rich, I would have purchased the Carrozzeria (sp?) set as they are lighter and I believe they are available in 17" and 18".

http://www.kosman.net/v-max.htm

That is a marker light that I replaced the reflector with. It is wired into my stop light for more visability. I had one on my previous Max that was wired as a running light. Thanks for the chrome bracket tip. First I have heard of it.

My Kosman is an 18". They only show 17" on their website now (for $550). The 18" may be a special order. I got mine off eBay. Below is the link to Kosman. The wheel seems to be high quality but is kind of heavy. If I were rich, I would have purchased the Carrozzeria (sp?) set as they are lighter and I believe they are available in 17" and 18".

http://www.kosman.net/v-max.htm

I have heard it is heavy, there is a guy on ebay making these wheels and selling them for 550-650 I also heard they are heavy. To be honest when it comes to cutting centers out of wheel and welding in new ones I prefer to go with a reputal name such as Kosman,
Its the same price as that guy eightsenuff is charging but I have seen his offset and its bad! almost looks dangerous.

If you need any more chrome work done check out www.chromemasters.com
they specialize in VMAX stuff and ask anyone here who has sent work to them they do superb qaulity work! last time I checked they have a 7 week backlog. Just cant be in a rush with them.

My front suspension was stock with the exception of a better fork brace. I just blew a fork seal. So now I have progreesive springs comins, new fork seals and racetech emulators. I was running 34psi in the front. It rode real nice. I tried upping the pressure to 40psi, but now it rides like a rock and still weaves at 100mph, like cockwork, my forks are dropped in the triple trees 1/2 inch exactly. When I added my 18inch rear whell I dropped the rear suspension 1 inch with progressive shocks. I'll get another tire, but the sad thing is I only got 2500 miles on the front. 2000 on the rear, but that was because a nail went thru it:bang head: and out the side wall.

Not heard that one before... :biglaugh:

Someday you'll get to compare my chrome to thiers. Thiers looks good until you lay them side by side.

Sean

I have heard it is heavy, there is a guy on ebay making these wheels and selling them for 550-650 I also heard they are heavy. To be honest when it comes to cutting centers out of wheel and welding in new ones I prefer to go with a reputal name such as Kosman,
Its the same price as that guy eightsenuff is charging but I have seen his offset and its bad! almost looks dangerous.

If you need any more chrome work done check out www.chromemasters.com
they specialize in VMAX stuff and ask anyone here who has sent work to them they do superb qaulity work! last time I checked they have a 7 week backlog. Just cant be in a rush with them.

I agree that the Kosman is a very nice rim, but the cost is more than $550 - when I looked into buy it, total cost was between $900-1000. Need to ship your wheel to him and back, etc... Of course, the farther you are, the more freight costs.

I have an ebay wheel from eightsnuff that cost me $650 total and after selling my original rim for $250 - it only cost me $400 - pretty cheap way to get on radials - now have 2000 miles and no issues, ie: wobbles, etc...
There is a 3/8 offset looking from the back of the bike, but rim is centered in swingarm.

Now I don't want to start a great debate on which wheel is better, just wanted to state that the ebay/eightsnuff rim is a decent rim overall.

Mike

We all need to realize that even the stocker has close to 3/8 offset from frame centerline...

It's not that big a deal..........Although I wish these wheel makers would make one that IS centered for those that have notched swingarms....

I'm going to kind of butt in here and let you all know that I just got new rubber on the bike and Holy Sh#&$.... what a difference! I find myself falling into corners, and not fighting. I actually am cornering it way too early and it was amazing how easy the bike would lay over.... I think I had the original front tire (14k miles) and it NEEDED replaced, and my rear only had about 2k miles on it but also 30 some passes at the track, so it was flatened a bit.

I ended up getting a Metzler ME880 for the rear and I ordered the matching front, but they got me the Metzler Lasertec. It is supposed to be a sport/touring, more than just a touring and I love it so far. I thought the guy put the wheel on backwards, but the arrows all matched up. Looks a little funny, but it works and thats what I need.

Has anyone else tried this tire?

Jeff

Attachments

• 633037731070911254LasertecFront.jpg
    633037731070911254LasertecFront.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 35
I'm going to kind of butt in here and let you all know that I just got new rubber on the bike and Holy Sh#&$.... what a difference! I find myself falling into corners, and not fighting. I actually am cornering it way too early and it was amazing how easy the bike would lay over.... I think I had the original front tire (14k miles) and it NEEDED replaced, and my rear only had about 2k miles on it but also 30 some passes at the track, so it was flatened a bit.

I ended up getting a Metzler ME880 for the rear and I ordered the matching front, but they got me the Metzler Lasertec. It is supposed to be a sport/touring, more than just a touring and I love it so far. I thought the guy put the wheel on backwards, but the arrows all matched up. Looks a little funny, but it works and thats what I need.

Has anyone else tried this tire?

Jeff

I had one on my KZ440 and it at the time was rated VERY high. They are great at shedding water for the rear. Anything is better than the front you had! That thing was shagged!

So did you get the 170 then?

Yep..... 170/80-15 for the rear.... didn't have to do the washer swap or anything... we'll see what happens when I lower the tire pressure at the track. And 110/80-18 for the front.

Yep..... 170/80-15 for the rear.... didn't have to do the washer swap or anything... we'll see what happens when I lower the tire pressure at the track. And 110/80-18 for the front.

Isn't it supposed to be a 110/90? Hmm... May be wrong...

Nope it's 150/90 I think... rear...

Someday you'll get to compare my chrome to thiers. Thiers looks good until you lay them side by side.

Sean

Are you comparing your chrome qaulity with Chromemasters? I heard your Chrome is nicer than Jon Cornballs Yellow Chrome.
Chromemasters does some superb qaulity, I have had my chrome work done over 5 years ago from them and its still looks like the day I got them.
Wow Orange County Choppers should strip the Statue Of Liberty Bike of the chrome work and fly it out KS ASAP! Hang on I will see if I can Paul Sr. on the phone.

I agree that the Kosman is a very nice rim, but the cost is more than $550 - when I looked into buy it, total cost was between $900-1000. Need to ship your wheel to him and back, etc... Of course, the farther you are, the more freight costs.

I have an ebay wheel from eightsnuff that cost me $650 total and after selling my original rim for $250 - it only cost me $400 - pretty cheap way to get on radials - now have 2000 miles and no issues, ie: wobbles, etc...
There is a 3/8 offset looking from the back of the bike, but rim is centered in swingarm.

Now I don't want to start a great debate on which wheel is better, just wanted to state that the ebay/eightsnuff rim is a decent rim overall.

Mike

Mike:
I am just going by pictures sent in on the thread "Show us your rear" Most of all the pics sent in with an aftermarket wheel had a very noticeable offset to the rear not only looking cosmetically terrible IMO but dangerous.
When he posted his picture of his Kosman mounted it looked centered almost dead nuts on.
He also stated the price of this procedure which is no where close to 900-1000 as you posted hell Kosman sells a rear aluminum wheel for that amount, so I dont know what your smoking up there in Canada.
Yeah there are always ways to save money I guess you can always polish a tird into looking like leather, you can put parsely on minute steak and you can also spray paint chrome, when it all comes down to qaulity there is no price set IMO. Good luck with your ebay offsetted wheel. I am glad you enjoy the ride and I am sure you cant see the offset when your riding it, so all in all I guess you got a great deal!

He also stated the price of this procedure which is no where close to 900-1000 as you posted hell Kosman sells a rear aluminum wheel for that amount, so I dont know what your smoking up there in Canada.

The price is lower, but the COST OF SHIPPING both ways raises the total cost of the wheel.

maxcruiser said:
total cost was between $900-1000. Need to ship your wheel to him and back, etc... Of course, the farther you are, the more freight costs.

Are you comparing your chrome qaulity with Chromemasters? I heard your Chrome is nicer than Jon Cornballs Yellow Chrome.
Chromemasters does some superb qaulity, I have had my chrome work done over 5 years ago from them and its still looks like the day I got them.
Wow Orange County Choppers should strip the Statue Of Liberty Bike of the chrome work and fly it out KS ASAP! Hang on I will see if I can Paul Sr. on the phone.

So you've compaired the chrome side by side?

Mike:
I am just going by pictures sent in on the thread "Show us your rear" Most of all the pics sent in with an aftermarket wheel had a very noticeable offset to the rear not only looking cosmetically terrible IMO but dangerous.
When he posted his picture of his Kosman mounted it looked centered almost dead nuts on.
Yeah there are always ways to save money I guess you can always polish a tird into looking like leather, you can put parsely on minute steak and you can also spray paint chrome, when it all comes down to qaulity there is no price set IMO. Good luck with your ebay offsetted wheel. I am glad you enjoy the ride and I am sure you cant see the offset when your riding it, so all in all I guess you got a great deal!

Well Lankee, you need to pay attention to the postings a little better, m-cman bought his Kosman wheel of ebay for $550 (great deal by the way) - when I referred to $900-1000 - total cost includes taking tire off rim, shipping rim to Kosman, than back to me, cost of rim, painting rim and remounting new tire. Once added up with dollar exchange came up to the price stated. Not sure why you have so many opinions on this subject when your have no direct experience being on the stock rim, but everybody has a right to their opinion - Hey I would love to have bought a Kosman, Caz or other high end rim , but wasn't in the budget for now, so I thought I would give this small vendor a try and post here the good or the bad. Isn't that how most vmax part vendors got started in the first place?

Enough said.

Mike

So you've compaired the chrome side by side?

I'm sure he hasn't but maybe he found someone with my chrome. I have tried chrome masters (and about 12 others) when I was trying to figure out who was going to be my source for the chrome. Though their chrome looks pretty good on it's own, it is different when you get them side by side to mine.

Also, it was pointed out that the stock wheel is actually offset to begin with (in the opposite direction). Again, unless you have actual experience with a product or how it will effect the bike then all you are expressing is an opinion.

I have tried many different wheels with various offsets. There is no real issue with having an offset to the right other then it does make leaning left easy and right harder. Obviously the closer to centerline you get the better, but most will never ride the bike past the limits of the stock tires to begin with. All they get when upgrading is a higher level of confidence which allows them to get around the turns faster (which is their goal). For the experienced rider who does push the bike hard the radials will really help raise the bikes potential.

I've tried:
Kosman (both the cast and bolt up designs)
LCR (very nice wheel that looked almost stock)
George Deget (on the rear of Two-Face but now on my 05)
Modified ZX9
R1
RC comp wheels
and others.

I've had numerous tires both size and type that I have tried over the years and really have no major complaints on any of them. The metzler tends to last longer and reasonable traction. Probably one of the better all around tire.

Sean

Latest posts

Back