The tire/tyre thread! Widest and best?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Widest tire on stock rear wheel

I like the stripes... Reminds me of mine!:thumbs up:

Lol! Stripes are the fastest mod! We have good taste! The red on yours is very sharp! :thumbs up:

I was actually covering the flushmount signal holes on my rear fender with carbon fibre film, and it looked out of place, so I did the cover too!

PS - it still makes it faster :rofl_200:

I have this Metzeler 170/80/15, fits perfectly with no modification, not even the washer swap.
But as it's really close to the swingarm (3mm)
I imagine it can be different on some bikes..
The best way is to ... test ! :rocket bike:

My 1st Metz rubbed when hot at highway speeds - make a howl noise. When I changed the 2nd Metz, I could see the previous tire rub. I swapped the washer on the second Metz, and no more rub, and more clearance. Has to do with the differential to swingarm bolts or the swingarm alignment.

Confirmation

Hey guys,
I just wanted to confirm that I'm ordering the right model tire for the rear as I'm seeing it called multiple names on different sites. Then I'll delete this post. Stock wheels, I decided to go with the Avon Venom, since I'm not as concerned with durability as I am traction and do more wheelies than burnouts.

So I want to order the Avon AM42 VENOM 170/80H15 as seen here

http://store.bobscycle.com/browse.cfm/4,76519.htm

Correct?

Also will I need to do the washer swap or not on this one? I've read conflicting reports.

p.s. Yes I know it's cheaper at other sites but Bob's is a few miles from me so if I order it from the store there's no shipping and they cut a discount on the mounting. :)

Re: Confirmation

I like the look of these tires, are they stickier? Whats the average mileage do get with them? Maybe I will try these for my next set, or the metzler 880's. I just put on Bridgestone Ecedera's, 110/90-18 on front and 150/90-15 on back.

Re: Confirmation

Thanks Bill, I'll be ordering tonight.

Red, if you do a search on the forum for avon you will come across the largest tire discussion I've seen. Theres a lot of info in there about the types, durability etc with a lot of good commentary I can't begin to summarize. :)

I have been through a lot of rear tires and my opinion of the AVON Venom the worst of all the ones I tried. I had the Avon Venom on for 500 miles and took it off.
I like the Michelin 170-80-15 its a nice ride smooth hardly took any weight when balancing. Next would be the Metzler ME880 Series these tires hold up pretty good but didnt have enough bite for my riding type. My favorite now is made by Shinko. Shinko is known by all sport bike riders. When you see a stretched out Hayabusa chances are he is running a Shinko. Yes Shinko makes 180/70/15. for around 80.00. I installed one on my bike and look out it will put you on your ass with its bite to the rode!! After the first 500 miles I ordered 2 more to have in stock.
I would say the Avon Venom may be good as a boat anchor but instead I gave it to my dog for a chew toy in the yard. He hates the Snake.

I have a 180/55/zr18 dunlop sportmax d207 from a vrod, vrod wheel too from ebay. Fits great rides good. I am running a sportmax d205 110 80 18 in the front. THe only tire that'll fit correctly on the 2.5 inch front wheel. I had it wear funny though causing a 100mph + weave, no soo good. Any ideas on why this would happen?????

I have a 180/55/zr18 dunlop sportmax d207 from a vrod, vrod wheel too from ebay. Fits great rides good. I am running a sportmax d205 110 80 18 in the front. THe only tire that'll fit correctly on the 2.5 inch front wheel. I had it wear funny though causing a 100mph + weave, no soo good. Any ideas on why this would happen?????

Avon Storms will fit too... 110/80/18

Front tires always wear funny but are you running stock suspension or improved?

Front tires do wear funny - but some things that can add to the problem is under/over inflation tire pressure, soft springs, worn wheel bearings, fork legs not set at the same height, road surface, etc...

I also recently bought an ebay solid 18" rear rim and have the same size front tire - but not enough mileage yet to know if front will wear differently than stock.

Mike

Finally got my Kosman 18" wheel installed with a Dunlop D220 170/60-18 tire. (Front is a D205 110/90-18 on a stock wheel). Got that instead of a 180/55-18 because did not want any fitment problems. Turns out it rubbed the swingarm and had to do the washer swap anyway. Guess the Kosman has less offset than most. Also installed a Venture pumpkin and had the Kosman, swingarm, brake bar, rotor insert and caliper bracket powdercoated gloss black. Looks pretty good.

Attachments

• CIMG0002.JPG
    CIMG0002.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 77
Finally got my Kosman 18" wheel installed with a Dunlop D220 170/60-18 tire. (Front is a D205 110/90-18 on a stock wheel). Got that instead of a 180/55-18 because did not want any fitment problems. Turns out it rubbed the swingarm and had to do the washer swap anyway. Guess the Kosman has less offset than most. Also installed a Venture pumpkin and had the Kosman, swingarm, brake bar, rotor insert and caliper bracket powdercoated gloss black. Looks pretty good.

Looks good! now let's see a picture from alot farther back on each side - come on I know you want to show it off!!!

Congrats!

Mike

Can we see a pic from the rear straight on. I know Kosman makes great products with professinal qaulity, lets see the offset from the rear.

The bike is not together yet. The chrome work I had done on the triple tree was terrible so it has to be re-done. (By a different supplier!!).

The pic shows there is not a lot of offset even with the washer swap. I would have preferred to not do the swap but the tire was rubbing the swingarm. A 180 tire probably wouldn't fit even with the washer swap.

The turnsignals have been relocated for saddlebag space. On the right you can see a bracket that I am testing to see if it can be used to fabricate mounts for Givi luggage. It could also be used with fabric bags.

The tank pic shows my new paint. The reflection messes it up a bit. It is a metallic copper orange.

Attachments

• CIMG0002.jpg
    CIMG0002.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Vmax Tank.jpg
    Vmax Tank.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 54
My front suspension was stock with the exception of a better fork brace. I just blew a fork seal. So now I have progreesive springs comins, new fork seals and racetech emulators. I was running 34psi in the front. It rode real nice. I tried upping the pressure to 40psi, but now it rides like a rock and still weaves at 100mph, like cockwork, my forks are dropped in the triple trees 1/2 inch exactly. When I added my 18inch rear whell I dropped the rear suspension 1 inch with progressive shocks. I'll get another tire, but the sad thing is I only got 2500 miles on the front. 2000 on the rear, but that was because a nail went thru it:bang head: and out the side wall.

My front suspension was stock with the exception of a better fork brace. I just blew a fork seal. So now I have progreesive springs comins, new fork seals and racetech emulators. I was running 34psi in the front. It rode real nice. I tried upping the pressure to 40psi, but now it rides like a rock and still weaves at 100mph, like cockwork, my forks are dropped in the triple trees 1/2 inch exactly. When I added my 18inch rear whell I dropped the rear suspension 1 inch with progressive shocks. I'll get another tire, but the sad thing is I only got 2500 miles on the front. 2000 on the rear, but that was because a nail went thru it:bang head: and out the side wall.

Sounds like your on the right track with the new parts, but would suggest that you check the steering and wheel bearings while you're at it. Would be a good time to do a visual of the old ones and change if necessary.

Good luck

Mike

WOW! That is the best looking offset I have seen on the VMAX as far as aftermarket wheels. Kosman is the way to go they are awesome. I have seen some really bad offsets here and I wouldnt accept it on my bike but that looks awesome man thanks for sharing the pics with us.
:clapping: for Kosman.

What is Kosman charging now to do a wheel last I checked it was 650.00

MC
Looks like you have your grabrail chromed. You know if you remove the plastic reflector mount and take mineral spirits with a rag and rub there is Chrome under the flat silver?:worthy:

Latest posts

Back