tires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Ban

Reaction score
Hey gents, can anyone recommend a good all around set of tires for my 01. I have been told Shinko makes a good all around tire

The only Shinko I've ever had on my 85 turned to chit after approximately 550 miles. Side to side wobble so bad that when leaving the parking lot, I have to remind myself the tire is crooked, and it is not a flat tire causing the side to side feeling. I'm going back to Dunlop after this crap is worn down, if not before, and won't ever put another Shinko on it.

The only Shinko I've ever had on my 85 turned to chit after approximately 550 miles. Side to side wobble so bad that when leaving the parking lot, I have to remind myself the tire is crooked, and it is not a flat tire causing the side to side feeling. I'm going back to Dunlop after this crap is worn down, if not before, and won't ever put another Shinko on it.

my stock dunlops lasted half as long and were twice as squirrelly so i had the opposite experience.

they are a bit pricer but haven't heard anything bad on the metzeler 880s yet.

I've run 6-7 rear Shinko Tourmaster 230's, 170 width without issue. I had 1 Shinko on the front (stock sized) that started cupping at about 3000 miles. I never did like the feel/ trust the grip of that tire. I replaced it with a Metzler 800 front tire and it is still on my stock front rim today, just that it is in storage now though.
I am running Shinko Verge radials now and love them. I will replace them with the same tires again when it comes time to replace.

I have had to Shinko tourmaster 230's for front and rear and loved them. Now that being said, there have been some people on here that have gotten some bad ones, but those seem to be few and far between.

With the stock dunlops I got on the outside lip a couple of times. Thats when I knew that I needed to change for my style of riding.

I ran several sets of Shinko Tourmasters on mine 170 series, never an issues. I ride hard and would get 5000 miles out the rear and 8,000-10,000 off the front. Best gripping tire for a stock rim and probably one of the cheapest. I bought another Vmax with Metzlers on it and almost dumped the bike they were so hard they slide all over the place. Totally sucked for traction, but probably got good mileage being hard as a rock.

Todd

I love my Avon's, but everyone has something different to say. It's like Ford Vs. Chevy...

Running and Avon front and rear as well and I have yet to have any issues (about 3000 on them so far).

Exactly what Avon tires are you running?
Dave at Starting Line here in town seems hesitant to recommend them, saying he has heard mixed reviews on them.

What I find attractive about them is that They have them in the 120/90-18 and 170/80-15 size in a nicely matched set.

Thanks for the info. Think I'll research a bit more. I got rave reviews on the Shinko from an old friend who rides very hard out in California. He told me him and all the guys he rides with love them. Thing is he doesn't ride a Vmax.

I personally Love the Shinko TM 230 Rear with a Good Sport touring front tire.
I have run the Rear Shinko TM 230 with the Metzeler Lasertec and Bridgestone Battlax BT-45V and was happy with both setups.

The Shinko TM 230 is absolutely the Stickiest rear tire I have ever run on my Max since I bought it in 2001.
It is confidence inspiring in the twisties unlike almost every other rear tire that fits our bike.

Last edited:
Avon Venoms came with my bike when I got it...very nice ride and plent sticky...another good choice...

I run a venom 100/90-18 front, yes my speedo is off a little( keeps me from getting tickets) 170/80-15 rear I think. This is my 3rd set. Not sure about trying others since I like my Avons so much. Some day i will get radials.

Got a new pair of Shinkos for the Max (and another pair for the Roadstar), sitting here waiting to be put on - probably gonna wait till a bit closer to Thunder, though....

I just got a pair of shinkos today, I'm gonna try to swap this week seeing how its supposed to rain. the tires on it now are dunlops did vmax's come with dunlap originally?
Should I also replace wheel bearings?
Bike is a 2005 w/ 16k mile's I bought it used last year.
thanks for any info

Brian

Latest posts

Back