Trying to sell my VMAX - need an opinion on best place to do it

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

evenhanded

Reaction score
Love my MAX, but I've found my dream bike at a price I can afford - IF I sell my Max.

Is eBay the best place to sell right now? Do you guys think cycle trader is worth it? I already have it on Craigslist. I'd sell for $4,500 with the new "Mark's" exhaust, led's, bars & D3 grips or $4K with the stock pipes put back on. Do you guys think this is a fair price? It's a 2000 with 12,000 miles and it's in great shape.

Thanks!

Sounds reasonably fair anyway. I have sold newer for less but they aren't as clean usually.

Sean

Sounds fair. Too bad you don't live down the street from me.:bang head:

I've heard too many horror stories with shipping bikes. Whenever I sell stuff that's too big to mail, it's local sale only.

Since you're in the northeast, this is pretty much the absolute worst time of the year to sell a bike. Nobody wants to buy something that they can't realistically use for 5 months. As such, there's not many buyers out there, and the people who are buying now are doing so to get bargain prices. So unless you're willing to almost give the bike away, it's not likely to sell. I tried to sell my Magna in the fall a couple years ago, was only asking a grand for a pristine condition '85. Not a nibble, just tire kickers and lowballers. In the spring I put it up for $1250 and had cash in hand within 6 hours.

Some other members here have been trying to sell their bikes also and not been having much luck. You're trying to sell ice cream at the beach in the middle of winter.....

My advice? Hold onto it and put it up in the spring. You should have absolutely no problem getting $4500 for it then. I'd probably even ask $5k to give yourself a little room to "negotiate" down.

Thanks for the good advice. I'll still try to sell now, with the hopes that I find SOMEONE. If it doesnt sell till Spring that will be fine. I have shipped three bikes and had two shipped to me and have never had an issue - I just make sure to use a reputable company.

ive had my 03 listed for as low as 3800 and got no bites. but i was getting emails/calls/texts during the summer when i had it listed for 5500 LOL

now is NOT the time to sell heh. i have it sittin on 4k now and its dead around here. ill get the occasional guy wanting it for 2k but thats it

really the problem now is the 06s and 07s are starting to go for as low as 6k. so that really crunches the prices down.

but anyone with half a brain is gonna know that an 00-04 for 4-4500 is a better deal than a 85-95 for 3500-4000..

but people will try so hard to save a hundred bucks off the initial price... even if they have to spend 2k repairing it lol and even then itll never run right.. and they got an old model to begin with!!

its kind of like a house.. you can go with an older one and shave 80 bucks off your payment each month.. but youll just spend 100 more in utilities.. and 20 years down the road when you try to sell it... you have an ancient house

well i got really lucky and just sold my 90 max with 15'000 miles for $4000 but my bike was very very clean and all original and ran like a top. had it listed for $5000 knowing it was high but really did'nt want to even sell the bike. lowered it to $4500 still no bites. so i finally put it up for $4000 firm and just so happened to get a call from a older gent who was in the market for an all original super clean max. came out took one look and said ill take it. at this time i had one too many bikes and something had to go so i feel i got a good price and took it. hang in there you never know

well i got really lucky and just sold my 90 max with 15'000 miles for $4000 but my bike was very very clean and all original and ran like a top. had it listed for $5000 knowing it was high but really did'nt want to even sell the bike. lowered it to $4500 still no bites. so i finally put it up for $4000 firm and just so happened to get a call from a older gent who was in the market for an all original super clean max. came out took one look and said ill take it. at this time i had one too many bikes and something had to go so i feel i got a good price and took it. hang in there you never know

you lucky dawg.

well my yammy dealer said regarding the vmax "you sell them whenever you get the chance!"

the cruiser guys dont want em cuz theyre too sportbike.
the sport guys dont want em cuz theyre too cruiser.

I've heard that around too, that the Vmax is kind of a "niche market" bike. Too "cruiser" for some, too "sportbike" for others.

I think mattness' point was that some people are willing to take a lot crappier bike if the initial price is lower without really thinking about any future costs or resale. That save a few hundred on the purchase, then easily spend that in repairs or making up for a lack of maintenance on older ones.

I've heard that around too, that the Vmax is kind of a "niche market" bike. Too "cruiser" for some, too "sportbike" for others.

I think mattness' point was that some people are willing to take a lot crappier bike if the initial price is lower without really thinking about any future costs or resale. That save a few hundred on the purchase, then easily spend that in repairs or making up for a lack of maintenance on older ones.

quoted for truth

Well I just bought one last week 11/11 looking to get a deal. I picked up a clean '92 w/ 6k miles for $2900. The prev owner just had all fluids changed, plugs, carbs done, etc with all paperwork (over a grand spent). It runs great. You all think 2900 is a good, or at least fair deal?

Attachments

• !cid__1114101530.jpg
    !cid__1114101530.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 23
Well I just bought one last week 11/11 looking to get a deal. I picked up a clean '92 w/ 6k miles for $2900. The prev owner just had all fluids changed, plugs, carbs done, etc with all paperwork (over a grand spent). It runs great. You all think 2900 is a good, or at least fair deal?

i think u made out a little better than the seller did.

You did real well, enjoy!

Love my MAX, but I've found my dream bike at a price I can afford - IF I sell my Max.

Is eBay the best place to sell right now? Do you guys think cycle trader is worth it? I already have it on Craigslist. I'd sell for $4,500 with the new "Mark's" exhaust, led's, bars & D3 grips or $4K with the stock pipes put back on. Do you guys think this is a fair price? It's a 2000 with 12,000 miles and it's in great shape.

Thanks!

so please tell, whats your dream bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back