VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conman

Reaction score
Hi,

I noticed when I start my bike there is a spritzing noise coming from what appears to be the right-rear carb, just below the round metal disk. It became less evident as the bike warmed up but it still happened periodically, especially as I bumped the throttle. It sounds like someone is in there with a small aerosol can spraying it for a split second at a time.

The Vmax ran fine before winter. I've been starting by bike periodically (every 2 weeks or so) throughout winter and it starts up fine, but last week when the weather got better for a day I went for a ride and it ran like crap. It would lag below ~4k rpm and stalled once in a while at stops. At decently high revs (>5500 rpm) I didn't notice a problem but the down-low was weak and lunged somewhat.

It still has the gas (91 oct ethanol free) in it from winter, which I used fuel stabilizer in, and yes I ran it to let the stabilizer reach the carbs. I think/ hope its just the old gas and stabilizer causing the issues/noises but you never know.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I've let my '82 Maxim sit all winter with no stabilizer and ethanol gas and never had an issue come spring.

Thanks,

Connor

Slight lean condition causes carb spitting. Could be a partially clogged pilot jet especially if it goes away as the bike warms up. The stall makes me think pilot jet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I was told the carbs were synced "recently" when I bought it in September last year.

Hi,

.....I've been starting by bike periodically (every 2 weeks or so) throughout winter and it starts up fine,.....

Unless you can get the motor fully up to operating temperature then this is not something you should do. This is due to condensation forming and the water not being boiled off so in time it will accumulate.
Have a look at this, in particular the comment in the 'Stuff to do in Winter'.

Regarding your problem, start by filling with fresh fuel and perhaps add some fuel system cleaner.
Whilst it may be a carb spitting back, it could also be a badly seated carb or split boot drawing air.
Spray some Easy Start around the offending inlet and see if the revs rise.

Well I siphoned out the old fuel and ran it with fresh gas. I can't detect the noise anymore. Is there still reason to be concerned with the carb chains?

Also, when I did warm it up I always let it get to operating temp.

Is there still reason to be concerned with the carb chains?.

:rofl_200:

A carb chain is a sequence that is made up of short units of organic compounds that are brought together to form long sugar chains, which are known as polysaccharides. Examples of polysaccharides are Cellulose and starches.

Nothing to do with motorcycles, but it does give everyone a laugh at the expense of the next sucker to fall for it. If it makes you feel better, there are plenty of other people who frequent this forum that are just inept when it comes to motorcycles. I am one of those people :biglaugh:

Just in case anyone is interested, I Powdercoat carb chains for anyone who needs it done. Doesn't help it run any better but looks good when your chain is being pulled!
PATMAX

Hahahahahahaha!! Wait- What? Carb chains aren't real? I just ordered a new set on Ebay! :bang head:

I think you may have a severe case of the one on the right... You need to get some additives like the one below for your fuel for it to work properly...

complex-and-simple-carb.png

Super-complex-carb-1-kg.png

In my defense I thought carb chains were slang for some miscellaneous part that actually exists and has to do with the v-boost or something, not some sort of chain drive or linkage ( I'm not that ignorant). Thanks for letting me in on it before I called down to my dealer to ask about them.

On a serious note, do you guys recommend Seafoam? I've heard mixed reviews, mostly good, but also a few horror stories.

..................or should I just dump a quart of wildweasel's "Super Complex Carb" in the tank and let it run its course?

I've had good results with seafoam used as directed, this should be the consensus for most on VMF. I only use it when the bike is being stored or when running rough from bad gas.

+1 for the seafoam, I always have a can in my garage. Also, carb chains...haha, reminds me of all the jokes we play on new Airmen when the get out of boot camp. Helicopter guard, voice activated lightalls, keys to the airplanes and the best one of them all blinker fluid!?! I can't tell you how many guys I get telling them to check the blinker fluid in our vehicles before they start it up.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant
554 RED HORSE Sq, Guam

Latest posts

Back