What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I installed a Kerker 4 into 1 with an oval carbon fiber can. Then put almost a hundred miles on her to "burn off" the newness. Wow, that thing sounds great !

Picked-up these today, finally, and dropped them off at the shop. Fresh powdercoat.

I also picked-up the tag/registration for my new (old) runabout, now I just need to get the time to work on-it to install the carb kits, the tune-up stuff and I still have to get a battery, I might do that when the sun comes-up. Ya gotta love a state where you don't need insurance if you already have it for other vehicles & yourself.

Battery purchased, a Yuasa, 12 mo. guarantee. Sears Diehard, Interstate & Pep Boys all have 6 mo or less.

That puts the 2-wheeled rolling-stock at 10.

2-19-13 update: It runs, rode it around the yard, everything works, including the meep-meep disc horn. Needs fork seals & rear shocks. Starts right-up & found the last MO registration for 2005 in the toolkit. When I can get around to disassembling & soaking the carbs, & rebuilding them, I think it should run a lot better. I'll check the valve clearances & do the tune-up stuff. I did empty-out the rodent stuff from the air cleaner, looks like a former owner used some-sort of blue long-fiber insulation for a makeshift air cleaner element. There were a few tiny acorns in there too. I don't think the former owner is responsible for that ...a former tenant, maybe!

Attachments

• VMax valve covers.JPG
    VMax valve covers.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 440.jpg
    440.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Gave the '86 a good wash, then removed unwanted electrics (such as flashing relay for brake light), cleaned up RH controls (starter button was sticking), swapped the dead battery with the one from the '00, polished a few parts to make it shine, then rode it to go get an 'engineer's report' so I can get it examined to get it licensed. 'Trapps will have to go, and back to OEM mufflers for the inspection! I need help with those heavy fuckers...

Tried to out flank a "super-cell" yesterday, but ran out of room at the Mass border, so I turned north and drove thru it! Got 3/4" of water in a matter of minutes and no place to hide!! :bang head:

So today I'll wash it! And install a Stinger digital voltage meter. :clapping:

Next time you just need to take some soap with you then you and the bike can be clean for that hot date I hear that rain water is great for the hair.:laundry: :eusa_dance:

Adjusted the steering head bearing while listening to Van Halen and drinking sixpack of engineer coolant. Can't think of a better way to spend saturday night, at least in winter?

Sprung for a turnsignal relocation kit moving the stock signals to the license plate mount.

Bought a set of bags on Amazon to mount up to the Max, to make it a bit easier to carry gear down to Thunder. $58.00, look to be big enough to do the job - carry a bit of stuff and stuff lunch and jacket in....

I hate the straps that go over the seat - and besides, I have a recovered Corbin on the bike that has had the filler hole deleted. I don't bolt the seat down, and remove it to refuel. I'm going to try to fasten the bags individually by wrapping those velcro over seat straps around the grab rail and securing them with zip ties. Then the bags mount individually, and the seat still comes off. Fastening to the rear pegs and rear signals ought to take care of mounting. I did it years ago with a set of Eclipse bags - which I really wish I'd have hung on to - and it worked great. You don't have to worry about the whole assembly sliding around if you don't balance weight between the bags. Here's a pic of the bags from Amazon - I'll put up another when I get the bags on the bike.

Attachments

• 416zTLvN7eL._SS400_.jpg
    416zTLvN7eL._SS400_.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 20
I streightened out the garage,made some "artwork" with max parts.

AND finally put the spare Gen II cat back together...........with a little less restriction:clapping:

Attachments

• photo (67).jpg
    photo (67).jpg
    62 KB · Views: 27
  • photo (68).jpg
    photo (68).jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 26
  • photo (70).jpg
    photo (70).jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 27
  • photo (69).jpg
    photo (69).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 25
  • photo (71).jpg
    photo (71).jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 23
  • photo (72).jpg
    photo (72).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 25
  • photo (75).jpg
    photo (75).jpg
    59 KB · Views: 22
  • photo (76).jpg
    photo (76).jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 30
Sprung for a turnsignal relocation kit moving the stock signals to the license plate mount.

Bought a set of bags on Amazon to mount up to the Max, to make it a bit easier to carry gear down to Thunder. $58.00, look to be big enough to do the job - carry a bit of stuff and stuff lunch and jacket in....

I hate the straps that go over the seat - and besides, I have a recovered Corbin on the bike that has had the filler hole deleted. I don't bolt the seat down, and remove it to refuel. I'm going to try to fasten the bags individually by wrapping those velcro over seat straps around the grab rail and securing them with zip ties. Then the bags mount individually, and the seat still comes off. Fastening to the rear pegs and rear signals ought to take care of mounting. I did it years ago with a set of Eclipse bags - which I really wish I'd have hung on to - and it worked great. You don't have to worry about the whole assembly sliding around if you don't balance weight between the bags. Here's a pic of the bags from Amazon - I'll put up another when I get the bags on the bike.

I had those same type bags.
Cut the plastic tab towards the rear of the last seat section. On the bottom. It's the tab that goes under the metal tab on the grab rail.
Once you've got that off there the rear seat section will simply swing upward on the two mounting screws (after flipping the center section up) and you can hang the bag straps under the seat.

When I was up in Wyoming with Shad (vmaxind)
I had some really smart crows completely unzip those flaps on both bags and just about emptied them going after some snacks I had in there.

Yesterday I got the carbs almost spot on. She was a great pleasure to ride again! Fuelled her up to go to work this morning, and when I almost got home, I had to stop for a car that was turning.

The stupid cow suddenly reversed into me. :bang head:

Minor damage, but unable to be ridden until I get the parts.

I'm completely pissed off and angry as hell.

Yesterday I got the carbs almost spot on. She was a great pleasure to ride again! Fuelled her up to go to work this morning, and when I almost got home, I had to stop for a car that was turning.

The stupid cow suddenly reversed into me. :bang head:

Minor damage, but unable to be ridden until I get the parts.

I'm completely pissed off and angry as hell.

WTF????? What was here excuse for suddenly backing up?

WTF????? What was here excuse for suddenly backing up?

She had gone a bit too far to be able to turn into where she wanted to park.
She said "Sorry, but I couldn't see because the sun was in my eyes."

:bang head:

Good thing I wasn't a mum with a pram crossing the road behind her. That's what I thought.

Moved some body parts to the spare bedroom to sit and cure for a couple of months, before I put them back on the bike. I finished up the tail section and front fender. They will be joining the rest of the parts soon. damn last picture turned out blurry, The awesomeness was just too much for the camera I guess. :biglaugh:
So far, I'm really loving the candy over the silver base. In direct light it really pops and in the shadows it gets nice and blood red. :punk:

I also opted to do a different carb manifold cover. So I made a pattern of the state of Alaska to take the place of the stock "H". I'll cut it out of some aluminum the next time I get some free time.

fauxtank.jpg

bellypan.jpg

body1bf.jpg

body2ly.jpg

templatep.jpg

Some new foot pegs came in today for the front. I like these a lot i order some for the back but smaller type.

Attachments

• vmax foot pegs (12).jpg
    vmax foot pegs (12).jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 34
Oh, geez, don't let Tim see these!:biglaugh:
"Coprunner! This is-the Police! Step-away from the spikes!":rofl_200:

images

Some new foot pegs came in today for the front. I like these a lot i order some for the back but smaller type.

The saddlebags came in from Amazon today. They look pretty good, won't be much hassle attaching them, hopefully....

Latest posts

Back