Will my charging system power 2 more lights, 55w each?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnMax/Magniac

Reaction score
I bought a pair of inexpensive driving lights, 55 watts each, and wonder if the charging system will carry the extra load. I plan to wire them direct from the battery, (Odyssey PC680) with their own switch and fuse. Anybody know the charging output for an '85 Max? The owners manual doesn't give that info. :ummm:

vmaxoutlaw.com
go to the tech section
service manual, I think it is in the back somewhere, chapter eight
its in there somewhere
Cheers

I bought a pair of inexpensive driving lights, 55 watts each, and wonder if the charging system will carry the extra load. I plan to wire them direct from the battery, (Odyssey PC680) with their own switch and fuse. Anybody know the charging output for an '85 Max? The owners manual doesn't give that info. :ummm:

That's an extra 110 watts... and with the stock system I wouldn't be very confident in it. Especially if you haven't done any work or maintenance to the system, considering the age of the bike.

I downloaded the service manual and all the supplements. I found a listing of the wattage of all the lights, etc. but that just gives the draw, not the actual charging output. If it's there, I can't seem to find it.

I rode from Wichita to Sturgis, around there, and back. Most of the trip there and back was with my 110watt halogen light I added under the stock light. Didn't give me any problems. And that was without the soldered crimp and old 91 regulator. Not sure if it was an anomaly or something that can be done on anyones bike.

Sean

I'm running two 100 watt each lights in lieu of the original 55/60 watt headlamp, which means I'm carrying about 140 watts above factory load level and it's given me no problems at all after 2 years, 15,000 miles that way.

My systems in good enough shape that it IDLES at 13.5 volts (with the headlight turned off) and cranks out a solid 14 past idle with the headlights turned on.

I'm also running a PC680 as well.

Make sure you systems is in good shape and go for it I say.

If you systems isn't in good shape then beware.

The generator on the Max is realy OK as it's about 300 watt generator (I think, I didn't look it up but I seem to remeber the generator is rated at 25 or so at 12 volts) , the culprit is shitty connections all over the place even on newer bikes, the factory connections leave much to be desired, as does the early model R/R units.

Also you can just add up all the loads in the list you found and assume the generator is at least capable of that. You can discount the turn signals and horns and stuff like that as they are VERY intermittent and don't really come into play. The ignition and headlight are your biggest loads, around 60 or so for the ignition I believe, once again I didn't look it up.

Rusty

I downloaded the service manual and all the supplements. I found a listing of the wattage of all the lights, etc. but that just gives the draw, not the actual charging output. If it's there, I can't seem to find it.

I think the owners manual gives the generator capacity, but it's listed in amps at 12 volts I think instead of watts, watts is what you are looking for, but crunching the numbers in the owners manual using amps and volts will give you watts.

watts = amps x volts

The list you found I believe lists watts at 12 volts, watts will stay the same for the most parts as volts goes up and down, except for resistive loads.

One way to partially unload your system is to shitcan all the filament, resistive bulb loads for LED stuff which will drastically reduce current consumption for those items. I did this as well.

Another way to compensate for all this is to install a headligh kill switch so any time your at idle for any length of time you can kill the headlamp so you can charge the battery at idle instead of running at a deficit, which would be anything under about 12.7 or so.

Most vehicles are rated at 12 volts when they really operate at 13-14 volts so the current draw goes down but the watts stays the same since higher volts, less amps still gives the same watts....

Back