Your first thoughts your first time on a VMax?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Riding on the back of my dad's brand new '90 max when I was 12 was the first experience. HOLY SHIT THIS IS INSANE. That's pretty much all i could think. Well, that and I'M GONNA DIE. LOL. Took a while to get used to being on it after coming off the KZ1300. The KZ was fast but nothing like the Max.

Fast forward 18 years to this summer. After not having my own bike for 7 years I've been bummin' a bike to ride from my boss, or riding his. It's been all Harleys for me for the past couple years. I decided it was time to get my own bike and a max is all I could think of. Fast, fair priced, been around for awhile, looks cool, not a crotch rocket but not a f'n hog. Find one 5.5hrs away for a good deal. Take the test ride....

First thoughts, this thing is quiet as hell. Seating arrangement much different than the hogs, makes you feel like you need to pay attention. Pull out and turn choke off, taking it down the road nice and easy giving her a chance to warm up. Just putting around under 4500RPM its amazing how you can feel the power underneath just waiting, I know its there. I'm being patient. No labor at all to cruise through the gears, you gas it, it goes(much unlike the 883xl i've been riding lately). I make it into town. Pull a u turn and punch it. HOLY SHIT!. I shift a couple times and look down in what felt like 3 seconds from cracking the throttle. over 100MPH. This ain't no FUCKING 883! OH SHIT, here comes a bend and I'm goin way too fast for it. Slow down asshole! ...Brakes don't feel as bad as I've read. Went throught the turn ok. cool.. Ahh, twisties are over. Let's hammer this bitch! HOLY FUCK! 115+ in what felt like seconds. This thing flat out rips. I gotta slow down a bit there's some more turns coming up........

I got back to the sellers house after a few more rounds of this and gave him cash in hand on the spot. I don't regret it yet.

It had been a few years since I had ridden a bike myself, so I was taking it easy, staying out of the vboost apparently, for the first couple rides. I went to meet one of my buddies and while on the way there I pulled out on the hwy way in front of traffic, or so I thought, so I'm in 2nd and look in the mirror at this car is closing fast. I must have been up in the r's in second and didn't notice but when I hit third and grabbed a handful of throttle and whoooooaaa shit hang on , shift to 4th and wham I try it again. Wwhhhoolyshit this is fast, I look in the mirror and the car is a 1/2 mile behind me. I look at the speedo and I'm doing 115 maybe I should slow down a bit. I arrive at the meeting place and I show my buddy my bike and told him what just happened and he was laughing at me. Said I just had to get used to riding again. He laughs at me no more, his fat ass Star Silverado is always the last one to the next stop. He has adopted a new saying to cover his slow ass "drive 65 and arrive alive". I just told him to make sure and drink lots of coffee so he stays awake behind that windshield.

The first time I ever rode one I was working at the shop (paris honda yamaha harley davidson) and we got one in that needed some carb work. I took it out after it was fixxed and it pulled the muscles in between my shoulder blades lol. I was 14 years old and used to riding a drag banshee and a YZ490. From that time on i knew that I had to have one lol. I remember thinking that it wasn't as fast as my quad but the riding position made it feel like it was pulling 10x harder.

My very first thoughts were that the ergos were odd and different than any other bike I had ridden. I had just given my father back his Honda VTX1800 that I had kept for him and ridden for about 6 months. It had good torque, but it was heavy as hell. Even with the wife on the back it felt like it barely unloaded the front suspension when I went WOT in first. When I got the wife on the back of the Max on the first day of ownership we pulled up behind a Harley in a turn lane that was looking at us and revving his engine. I thought I'm going to kill him on this bike. The light turned green, we turned slowly and I got the bike going straight when I whacked the throttle open. The damn thing went to the 10 o'clock postion immediately, scaring the shit outta me and damn near caused me to wreck when I slammed the front end down. The wife did forgive me since I had no idea of what the bike could do at that time. I'm surprised she even was willing to get back on it after that.

I kept thinking that the clutch was slipping till I figured out that it was burning rubber.

:punk:first time riding it home from stealrship stopped at a kwik store when pulling out into 4 lane busy traffic i cracked it a little, next thing i saw was oncoming traffic in the far left lane, trying to get the thing turned while holding on for dear life, oh shit life style has just changed, fuck ya the rush is awesome.

Where the fuck are the pegs, and why is the front end so raked out.

I honestly thought I might have made a mistake buyin one, but once I got used to everything, it was all good.

"I GOTTA GET ME ONE OF THESE!" - Will Smith was NOT the first person to say that phrase, I was!

The second thing I said was "Sold!"

After waiting for a decade I made a deal at a dealer, I got on it, twisted it about 3/4 and couldn't decide if I wanted to cry or puke from exhileration.

I had wanted one and made up my mind that I was going to transition from fast cars to fast bikes. The cars were getting expensive. Anyway, keep in his was the first bike I ever owned but it scared the crap out of me and almost lost it a few times. From that point on I figured I had better chill out and ride within my limits before I made my wife the newest SGLI recipient. :rip:

Walked into the guys garage that was selling it ,..2 of my great loves,..a 67 mustang fastback,..an the max,..he fired it up and it was lust a first sound..

Brought it back home on a Sunday in the back of the truck , unloaded it at the ramp behind the closed John Deere dealership,..guy came up while i was unloading it and had to see it after he watched me pull in .
when i started it up ,..both are eyes glazed over ,..wwooww,..was all he could say ..and all i could think later; legs streched out ,feet on the crash bars while riding it over to a buds place to stash for awhile,.. till i found a good time to gently break the purchase to the wife..
Nope, no test ride ,..just an eyeballin white glove treatment. Good feeling and a warm buzz ever since.

The first one I rode was a friend's in France, back in '86 or '87. I couldn't believe it - that thing was huge (I hadn't really owned any big bikes yet) and the first time I hit the Vboost first instinct was to reach for the brakes! LOL I was sold...

..and it took until last year for me to be able to afford (and justify) buying one!

And I love it - this is one bike I hope I can keep even if I ever get another.

When I bought mine The dealership made a salesman ride along with me.He took a new Buell.He tried to keep up but everytime that I got on it he was left in the dust.There was no comparison.I had to pull over 4 or 5 times to wait for him because he was out of sight completely. I took it home with me.

Honestly, I thought hmmm my chopper had more oomph down low:bang head:. but then your dealing with about 66ci vs. 127 ci (El Bruto 127 - 140RWHP, 145lb/tq) . Then the Max's midrange and staying power kicked in. I was feeling it by then:clapping:.

Then the time warp factor hit. I remember a guy and his older brother back in high school bought one in '85 with a little help from his folks:worthy:.

I was on an XS11 back then and how bad I wanted one. Now several bikes later I had one. I rode it for a while and wondered if I had made the right purchase. After washing it, I stood back and took a good look. yup I did the right thing.:punk:

The old, and the new :biglaugh:

Attachments

• kj3.jpg
    kj3.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 177
  • VMax_c.jpg
    VMax_c.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back