Best "fastest" way to clean motor???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnout

Reaction score
What is the best and fastest way some of you have found to clean the motor on the vmax and leave it shiny?? Went in the garage and the motor was dusty/dirty from sitting through winter and thought to myself shit thats going to take a while :damn angry: . I don't think it would be a good idea to hit it with the hose. Waxing I think would take a month of sundays..Looking for any idea's..Thanks!!

I shoot it with easy-off microwave cleaner, lightly rinse it off with the garden hose, and then spray it with tire shine.

The easy-off took some of the PO's rattle can skills off, but the factory finish is still there and looks great.

Careful aim of a garden hose...engine only. Dry with air compressor/gun. Then CD2 Engine detailer. I use a spray bottle/rag for the tins.

Careful aim of a garden hose...engine only. Dry with air compressor/gun. Then CD2 Engine detailer. I use a spray bottle/rag for the tins.

Burnout, why are you guys concerned about using a hose? I have read a few articles about washing bikes in cycle world and other reputable publications. The experts say to avoid high pressure water, like the do i yourself carwash and air, especially compressed air, you shoud dry by hand. Although I use my combination Rigid shop vac/leaf blower. works good.
also they say to avoid the handlebar area, switches and any electric components. On the max basically stay below the bars, faux tank, especially if you have flatslides, and seat. Wheels, engine, radiator, forks, swingarem, underside of rear fender is fair game.
In the articles I read they said diluted Simple green works well, do not use dish detergent. I have been using Simple green for 15 years and no problems. I t really works good on the heavy dirt, grime and brake dust. Works great on motor. Then spray with S100 and spray off for the final touch. She shines good. Hardly any hand work.
S100 also makes a product that is for gloss black painted painted parts only. It makes them blacker somehow. I never used it though. my paint hasnt really faded.

Burnout, why are you guys concerned about using a hose? I have read a few articles about washing bikes in cycle world and other reputable publications. The experts say to avoid high pressure water, like the do i yourself carwash and air, especially compressed air, you shoud dry by hand. Although I use my combination Rigid shop vac/leaf blower. works good.
also they say to avoid the handlebar area, switches and any electric components. On the max basically stay below the bars, faux tank, especially if you have flatslides, and seat. Wheels, engine, radiator, forks, swingarem, underside of rear fender is fair game.
In the articles I read they said diluted Simple green works well, do not use dish detergent. I have been using Simple green for 15 years and no problems. I t really works good on the heavy dirt, grime and brake dust. Works great on motor. Then spray with S100 and spray off for the final touch. She shines good. Hardly any hand work.
S100 also makes a product that is for gloss black painted painted parts only. It makes them blacker somehow. I never used it though. my paint hasnt really faded.

S100? who makes it , and where can you buy it?

I use a product called Tough and Tender on my VMax. Then I rince with a garden hose. This product has no harsh chemicals and it leaves it shining with out any spots. I usually go for a quick ride to dry mine off also but that is after it drip drys for a while.:cheers:

Attachments

• 59.jpg
    59.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 512
Tough & Tender ??? Where do you get that stuff never heard of it. Sounds like it might work pretty good. I have very hard water where I live so water spots are a big concern for me, I wont even wash my car at the house. It would be to pain full to see my baby with all the water spots!!!:biglaugh:

Burnout&Kratz,

Burnout,
I too have hard well water and the Simple green and S100 work excellent. Witht he S100 i do wipe bike with a sponge with the hose to make sure to rinse all the soap off.

Kratz,
S100 is the brand name of the product. I get it at denniskirk.com they use to carry a product called Pig Snot also, it was a bit cheaper but dont carry it anymore and it worked well. They now carry a new similar product called Ducky. Ive never heard of or used it.
The S100 black stuff i referred to in earlier post is called "Engine Brightner" it is suppose to restore dull black paint including, engine cyclinders and cases, cables, rubber hoses, plastic components, and almost any other black surface that has lost its original color. This claim is from S100

Hey burnout, where in wisconsin are you located? Im in the Twin cities area.

I don't ride mine in the rain unless caught in it which hasn't happened with the Max so I have only washed it once when I bought it. I use Meguires quick detailer and then wax it all when done. It's amazing how new my engine looks...:whistlin:

OK so it has 2400 miles on it...:clapping:

Here is a link to the S100 website. I found the link through webBikeWorld and, as many of you know, it has reviews of just about everything to do with motorcycles.

On a side note, I live in the eastern U.P. of Michigan and looking for events to attend. If you guys have any events in Wisconsin or Minnesota let me know. Very few events here and even fewer Vmax's.

Here is a link to the S100 website. I found the link through webBikeWorld and, as many of you know, it has reviews of just about everything to do with motorcycles.

On a side note, I live in the eastern U.P. of Michigan and looking for events to attend. If you guys have any events in Wisconsin or Minnesota let me know. Very few events here and even fewer Vmax's.

I see the article. I noticed the one guy said all he could find was the non aerosol pump spray, thats all I have found. he also mentioned you should prewash bike, thats what I have been doing, with simple green. This stuff isnt the greatest on grease and brake dust. Its like a spray on spray off wax. When used to clean plastic body parts or painted metal, they shine as if waxed. As mentioned above i dont do much hand work. Spray on the green a little wiping with a sponge, spray off then the s100 and hose down and she shines. I always get a lot of compliments on how clean my bike is. And I hardly wash it.

We dont have much here also for rides. Except the vmoa chapter leader has something about every Friday night, basically one coffe shop to another and a bar or two. These are in the twin cities area. A little ways from U.P.
The one you maybe interested in would be the Duluth, MN ride, my hometown. They head up the shore to Ely and back to duluth. The only people that showed were the two chapter leaders, Wayne and girlfriend Rachel and the one guy in Duluth. It is a beautiful ride.
The Wis. chapter has a good size ride, somewhere around Madison area, I think twice a year.

I've been using a product for many years called "Shout"...a spray-on 'stain/oil/grease (skid marks)...remover'...easy to find in most stores where laundry products are found...

It doesn't smell weird after cleaning, rinses off easy, and it does a great job taking off any excess road dirt or oil accumulation... Not so much of a problem with the Vmax, but on the notorious v-twins, especially the pre-Evo ones that are hard to keep the oil on the inside of. It would work real well...way better then "Gunk" or anything similar...

Just spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse off with clean water.

Y'all got me wondering about the 'no water on it' thing... It is after all, a motorcycle, and should be able to handle riding in all conditions...including wet... Sooner or later, you're gonna get caught in the rain....How you're gonna keep it 'below the bars' when it does, is something I cant quite understand.

Philthy

Philthy, just no direct high pressure water around the electronics on left side or the ignitor area and you'll be fine. I've been in rain many times, no problems.

Just plain water. My covers are all powder coated in High gloss black. If I am not fixing something on it I will apply some Zymol Wax on some soft Holy Cotton Underware only the ones with a brown racing stripe cause it makes my bike go faster:rofl_200:

I washed it once since I got it and now I don't wash it at all. I use a silicone spray and a clean rag. Once in a while time permitted, I'll car wax it.

I use a product made by Simonize (forgive if I spelled that wrong) that is a spray foam that washes, light dirt & oil only, and waxes at the same time. Works great and you don't have to worry about messing up the electrical system.

I've got the shiny finish motor.

I use a rattlecan lubricant called tri-flow all over the motor and then wash as normal, soaping and rinsing the engine a couple of times to get the lubricant off.

I do the same thing to the front of our cars to get the bugs and shit off.

I use Mcguires quick detailer in between washings.

I've also used armor-all from time to time on the engine, actually does a decent job.

Rusty

anybody try mothers "showtime" after washing, thinking about the little crevasse around the motor to make them shine. also the black on my scoops seem to be fading or turning slight white. will washing and just wax bring them back or need like a paint restorer to help them?? thanks for the advise.

i have 2000 miles so far on my bike.....only washed it once.... i never ride in the rain.

i also like and use s100.......

i get the best results with a light application after cleaning and then letting it sit overnight. it will last about a week. as for the rest of the bike i use nuthing but a microfiber cloth and a can of lemon pledge. people say my bike looks like new , mostly because i clean er up after every ride.

i enjoy cleaning my bike.....a lot of people i know do not. i think that makes a difference:punk:

Latest posts

Back