Bike now sways side to side after doing Busa calipers and R1 rotors

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jon6.0

Reaction score
If you have read my other threads you would see that I just put on Hayabusa calipers, R1 rotors, and used Sean Morley's adapters. I had some trouble with a little grinding going on. Turns out one of the rotors is a little oblonged. It was grinding out the inside of the caliper. Now that I increased the clearance I have no more grinding.

Back on topic. Now when I go down the road the bike shifts from side to side. For a mental picture of this take your hand like you are going to shake someone's hand. Now turn your hand and wrist left and right slightly. If I actually let go of the bars while I'm slowing down at about 15 mph it's actually pretty bad. Seems like it smooths out the faster I go. But you still notice it. I'm stumped.

Ideas?

Check /readjust swingarm bearings, steering head bearings in addition to checking wheel balance

Check /readjust swingarm bearings, steering head bearings in addition to checking wheel balance

I feel dumb now. Wheel balance will now be off since I put new rotors on.

Hmmm. I also did just tighten up the steering head bearings today. I didn't even think of that as a possiblility. Could I have overtightened them? How loose or tight should they be?

Edit:

After reading a few things it appears I may have overtightened my steering head bearings. I'm off now to readjust and see how it goes. I think I may slip the forks up a little to lower the front a bit as well.

over tightened neck bearing once on another bike i had that effect..it dont track straight your constantly adjusting stearing to the left and right ..back and forth

davidon & 113s&s THAT WAS A GREAT CALL ! I DID'NT THINK OF IT UNTILL YOU SAID IT ! AND ITS A FINE LINE BETWEEN TO TIGHT & TO LOOSE !YEA NO DOUGHT ! THE SAME THING WILL ACTUALLY HAPPEN ON A BICYCLE ! AND BE VERY NOTICABLE ! I USED TO RACE BICYCLE MOTORCROSS, SO I KNOW FIRST HAND !:thumbs up: YEARS AGO "LOL"

davidon & 113s&s THAT WAS A GREAT CALL ! I DID'NT THINK OF IT UNTILL YOU SAID IT ! AND ITS A FINE LINE BETWEEN TO TIGHT & TO LOOSE !YEA NO DOUGHT ! THE SAME THING WILL ACTUALLY HAPPEN ON A BICYCLE ! AND BE VERY NOTICABLE ! I USED TO RACE BICYCLE MOTORCROSS, SO I KNOW FIRST HAND !:thumbs up: YEARS AGO "LOL"
like to get one right once in a while

We just had our 1 year anniversary a couple of weeks ago. So it's only been a year of me not being right.:biglaugh:

Back on topic. I took off the old wheel weights and loosened the steering head bearings. They are so loose it's rediculous. They also have a noticeable notchiness to them. Time for some new ones.

I also realized after my last test ride that I didn't torque the axel down hard enough. Hopefully tightening that will help some also.

But OMFG this thing stops so hard now it's F'n crazy. I still have the stock rear caliper and disc. The rear is almost useless since so much weight transfer happens you are stopping so fast.

OMFG this thing stops so hard now it's F'n crazy. I still have the stock rear caliper and disc. The rear is almost useless since so much weight transfer happens you are stopping so fast.

So this will be you shortly?:biglaugh: :punk:

Attachments

• Greg's_stoppie.jpg
    Greg's_stoppie.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 59
It's a photoshop picture! You can do a stoppie but you need a better front tire. The stock tire slides (tried it numerous times).

Sean Morley

It's a photoshop picture! You can do a stoppie but you need a better front tire. The stock tire slides (tried it numerous times).

Sean Morley

Are you sure it's photoshopped? I've never heard the truth about that photo.

Well, if you look at the front fork's, you will notice there is absolutely no compression at all. With 800+ lbs on there it would be all the way down!

Sean Morley

Well, if you look at the front fork's, you will notice there is absolutely no compression at all. With 800+ lbs on there it would be all the way down!

Sean Morley

Looks to me like the fender is right up to the radiator.Pretty nice shadow to be a photoshop too.

OK, here's more proof. Notice the distance the wheel and tire is in relation to the radiator, distance from the chin spoiler, and relation of parrallel to the frame. This is with absoultely no load and no rider. The bike will settle in a little when up right and a person on it. Now add the full weight of the bike and the forks will only have a little bit hanging out of the lowers.

Sean Morley

Attachments

• spindels_bike.jpg
    spindels_bike.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 20
Here is another one. I got them from the Vmaxoutlaw.com site.

I's labeled:

"We are somewhat flattered that one club liked the following pics (produced by Greg Spindel) so much they copied the psudo-stoppie idea for the August 2002 edition of their 'club magazine' cover and tried to pass it off as real!"

The "pass it off as real" gives it away as a photoshop.

Attachments

• greg_stoppie2.jpg
    greg_stoppie2.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 24
Back