Brake Job Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundermax

Reaction score
Put new pads on the front. Thought job was complete until I picked up the old pads. They had a thin stainless steel plate snapped onto each pad. Well I am guessing I should have put them on the new pads.

For those that know of such things, should I redo and put the ss plate on the new pads? Bad picture, see next post.

Attachments

• BrakePads.jpg
    BrakePads.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
This is the correct picture.

Attachments

• BrakePads.jpg
    BrakePads.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 32
:th_bump_2:

I would also like to know, as I am doing my first brake job on my bike next weekend

I believe those are there to prevent squealing, it won't hurt anything to leave them off as-far as I know. You should solicit a response from someone who makes their living w/this stuff, only a matter of time before you hear from them.

Not an expert but when I changed the rotors I left them off. Check to see that the caliper is centered evenly on both sides. I drove mine and noticed they were not even between the sides. I then used them on one side and everything was good. I might add that I also changed to the Carr wheels. Try them and if they begin to squeel add them back. Either way you will be OK.

I reused them when doing my rear brake on the 05.

U-tube has all kinds of videos on doing bike brakes etc.
O

As Mr Medic says, they are anti squeal devices.

If you have left them off and the pads don't squeal then ride on and enjoy....but keep them just in case noises develop some time in the future.

Pads don't normally start to squeal strait away, it starts once they've taken up the form of the disc's and have bedded in.

If I was fitting new pads then I would use them as a) they don't do any harm and b) stop annoying noises should it develop.

Those are anti squeal plates they are usually found on most factory brakes cars,trucks,bikes, If you dont reuse them you can spread a thin layer of brake anti squeak on the back side of the pads .. When I was in the automotive field we had a customer come in and said he added anti brake squeal & now has no brakes,,, He pourd it into his master cylinder .. First time I had ever seen that & last lol we had to blow out complete brake system & replace his master & I think both rear wheel cylinders lol.

Those are anti squeal plates they are usually found on most factory brakes cars,trucks,bikes, If you dont reuse them you can spread a thin layer of brake anti squeak on the back side of the pads .. When I was in the automotive field we had a customer come in and said he added anti brake squeal & now has no brakes,,, He pourd it into his master cylinder .. First time I had ever seen that & last lol we had to blow out complete brake system & replace his master & I think both rear wheel cylinders lol.

Thought you were going to say he put the anti-squeal on the brake surface of the pads....but that guy really went out of his way to screw his vehicle up!! :biglaugh:

Thundermax.....it's easy enough to add the plates if you want, just pull the retaining pins and slide out the pads, clip the plates on and re-install. But, as mentioned, they aren't necessary for proper brake operation.

Thanks everyone. I will take off the calipers and insert the parts.

no need to remove the calipers as danny said just pull the pins and pull the pads from the top out, fast quick chg

New pads really make a big difference in the brakes. Going to adjust my front brake handle and look at my rear brake pedal.

Anyone thinking about your brakes, I can testify new pads do great things for stopping power.

New pads make a big difference, caliper & master rebuilds every few years do also....for what little the seals & fluid cost....compared to the benefit, do it all at the same time.

A common comment about the VMax is 'they go fast but don't stop' simply isn't true.... my '99 had sport bike stopping power(almost)! Yamaha set it up right, just gotta be maintained....is all. :punk:

New pads make a big difference, caliper & master rebuilds every few years do also....for what little the seals & fluid cost....compared to the benefit, do it all at the same time.

A common comment about the VMax is 'they go fast but don't stop' simply isn't true.... my '99 had sport bike stopping power(almost)! Yamaha set it up right, just gotta be maintained....is all. :punk:

Agreed, and Galfer brake lines should be used when replacing the OEM hoses.

O

I think I can get ten more miles from these. What do you think? Off the Rattlecan special.
c6e4e416-bc33-3648.jpg
c6e4e416-bc66-d889.jpg

Yes both pads stacked together are thinner than the backing plate! They are worn evenly though.

When in doubt...Gas it !!!

Nice focus on the wall, can't judge the pads though. But you may get 8.5 miles out of them before eating into your rotors! lol

Adjusted the brake handle so that it stops about 1 inch from the handle. I figured if I was stopped at a light, it would be more comfortable to hold closer to the handle. Just did not want brakes to be way out on the end of the handle. At a stop light your hand is really extended to hold the handle firm.;

What do you think?

mine doesn't have these and they are not in the cheap cycle parts list. I have one on the rear and Sean says it's only an anti squeal device. my front brakes were almost shot and not squealing. I certainly wouldn't buy new ones.

Back