friday the 13th, biker down

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattness

Reaction score
GREENSBURG, IN (FOX19) - An Indiana man has died after a motorcycle crash in Decatur County.
It happened just before 7:30 p.m. on U.S. 421
Police say three motorcyclists traveling southbound attempted to pass a semi truck. Brandon Shupe, 27, was the third cyclist in the group as a northbound semi hauling a load of steel approached.
The first two bikes completed the pass safely, but Shupe lost control and was struck head on by the semi.
Shupe was pronounced dead at the scene.
U.S. 421 was shut down for about five hours. The crash remains under investigation.

i prolly knew him, i prolly even rode nwith him a few times. i dont think a helmet would have saved him, i dont know if he was wearing one or not but im sure some mom is gonna jump on here and nag about helmets. its just a normal back highway with a 55 mph limit.

so if he was passing and going 70 and got hit by a semi going 60, thats like a 130mph dead stop.

does anyone know the math on how much G force that is?

200 pound body going 130 to 0 in .01 seconds

you have to think, going 15 mph in a parking lot and stopping in 6 feet puts your head in the steering wheel if your brakes are good enough. and thats 10 feet of slowing down time.

but can you imagine instantly stopping going 130??
my dad has a supercharged 450 dart block nova and when he hits the gas in that thing you cant pull your head off the seat, it sure is fun trying though.

not 130 to 0 in 5 seconds, not 3 seconds, not even 1 second. not even a full heart beat. instantly

it would rip the arteries out of your heart for sure

Sorry to hear that. Im guessing he wasnt riding a Vmax or he might have made it.

Any of you guys ever thread the needle between two on coming cars?

no but i was this close... > < ..... to riding under a big tractor once but at the last second i thought about him dropping his disc thing down and slicing me like cheese..

Iv run up between cars moving the same direction when I loose my cool waiting. But never with oncoming traffic. If it were me I would have been as close as I could to the truck going my direction. But it must have happened to fast. At least he didn't suffer.

What the @uck is "prolly"? I know you piss in trash cans and all but you're not the first one to use this. I mean you usually sound like you got through high school right? It's P-R-O-B-A-B-L-Y, probably, PROBABLY!
Man I feel better now....just like Nobody! Man I need a Xanax.

imgres
its just faster to type prolly than probably

in realy life i just say probly

like wobbly

grammar nazi!!! are you an english teacher by chance?

ok im being attacked so ill defend myself the best i can.

i passed my GQE my first try as a sophomore, putting me in the top 40% of my class. my score was a 615 on math and like a 590 on english, same as my SAT.. literally my SAT was within a point each. 3 years later...

What the @uck is "prolly"? I know you piss in trash cans and all but you're not the first one to use this. I mean you usually sound like you got through high school right? It's P-R-O-B-A-B-L-Y, probably, PROBABLY!
Man I feel better now....just like Nobody! Man I need a Xanax.

:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200: Take 2

cmon you guys that was 2 months ago let it go. i was practicing hungarian culture or whatever they pee in trash cans all the time

Attachments

• forumtroll1.jpg
    forumtroll1.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 15
cmon you guys that was 2 months ago let it go. i was practicing hungarian culture or whatever they pee in trash cans all the time

I remember that now.:biglaugh:

All this for Peeing in a can and using the literary colloquialism for probably? Man I better watch my step.:biglaugh:

so if he was passing and going 70 and got hit by a semi going 60, thats like a 130mph dead stop.

does anyone know the math on how much G force that is?

200 pound body going 130 to 0 in .01 seconds

This is a old and a little morbid doing the math, but here you go.

His weight doesn't really matter for the acceleration (or deceleration in this case)

1 G ='s 9.8 m/second ='s 32.15 ft/second
1mph ='s 1.467 ft/second
130mph ='s 190.7 ft/second

If he was able to go from 130mph to 0mph in 1 second that would be a 6G force Air Force pilots can see 8G's I believe... maybe a little more for very short amounts of time. (that is amazing to me alone)

0.01 would be 100 times faster = 600 G's.... a helmet would have made no difference.

Be careful out there!

Jeff

It would not be 130 MPH.....the opposing force does not double it cancels....

2 cars head on at 60 MPH is not 120 MPH into a wall......it is 60 MPH into a wall...

2 cars head on at 60 MPH is not 120 MPH into a wall......it is 60 MPH into a wall...

(comment removed out of respect for the rider down)

technically wouldnt it only cancel if both things weighed the same and were moving at the same speed?

anyways, apparently he was riding a honda and worked at the local honda plant here in town.

it might have been a rune ill have to ask around and find out

I'm not saying this isn't fact....I just can't get my mind around it!

Been to plenty of accident scenes and head-ons always seem to inflict much more damage than T bones, for example. (don't recall ever going to a car hitting a brick wall)

Is there some sort of formula that would demonstrate this, that maybe a dunderhead like me could understand? :ummm:

I'm not saying this isn't fact....I just can't get my mind around it!

Been to plenty of accident scenes and head-ons always seem to inflict much more damage than T bones, for example. (don't recall ever going to a car hitting a brick wall)

Is there some sort of formula that would demonstrate this, that maybe a dunderhead like me could understand? :ummm:

id also have to agree, i think the canceling effect would only be viable if both weighed the same and both were moving the same speed.

I'm going to disagree with you on this one based on the fact that others have already commented on. The weight differences are so different that I was making the assumption that the truck, bumper, etc. did not deflect or move at the moment of impact and remained at the same speed. Of course this isn't true there would be some 'give' by the truck, there is also going to be the deflection of the front tire and forks that start to slow the bike down before the body hits the truck. A few miliseconds can make a HUGE difference in impacts. Look at air-bags, hitting a pillow of air for a fraction of a second makes a WORLD of difference.

Anyway, back to the change in acceleration debate. There would be a change of 130mph if we assume that the motorcycle has to not only slow from it's rate of speed, but also has to reverse directions (to what the speed of the truck was traveling at)... this is once again assuming that the truck's rate of speed does not chage.

:ummm:It's been a while, but I think I'm on the right path with this thinking... if we keep going with this I'm gonna have to invite some friends over and get some smoke out so I can really get into some deep thought!:punk:

Jeff

we need more deeps thought.

i mean if 130 mph into the back of a 65-70 mph semi can do this, when theyre both going the same direction... id hate to see wat happened to him

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back