Front Brakes??? Where are they?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteelerBike

Reaction score
So I recently bought a '97 max and the front brakes are pretty worthless. Is this normal for a max?

My beemer and buell brakes are sharp as hell so I know what brakes SHOULD feel like.

Any thoughts?

A good start is a set of EBC HH pads. Then determine if the brake fluid has ever been changed and check the condition of the brake lines.

A good start is a set of EBC HH pads. Then determine if the brake fluid has ever been changed and check the condition of the brake lines.

+1 on all three counts. Especially the fluid (if it's old it'll be full of water) and the lines - OEM ones expand with age and are best replaced with SS braided ones.

my '03 with stock rotors and ebc HH pads are more then enough to stop me.

Sean Morley (one2dmax) sells adapters to fit Hayabusa 4-pot calipers. There are other threads with lots of info about it

So I recently bought a '97 max and the front brakes are pretty worthless. Is this normal for a max?

?

My 99 used to squeel the tire when I bought it a couple of years ago but I replaced the pads last year with an off brand . :bang head: They are still pretty good but next time I will go with the EBC they seem to be the best.

up grade your hoses,they to break down with time. Sean sales them i put galfer on mine.

I do sell Galfer, HEL, and EBC stuff. I am getting ready to post a Galfer brake line sale shortly - look for the post. Likely your pads may be pad and or rotors glazed over. I don't sell adapters for the 93 and newer forks but the 4 piston R1/R6 calipers fit right on (I have a set of warrior calipers that will go in place too with silver inserts). I even have one set of 6 piston calipers from a Euro race Yam 750 that are a bolt on for the newer years (but that set isn't nearly as cheap as the R1/R6 stuff).

Sean Morley

The stock 4 pots are fine. I'd just worry about lines, fluid and pads. I run the stock 4 pots and am VERY happy with them.

You've got other issues that need sorted.

Chris

The stock 4 pots are fine. I'd just worry about lines, fluid and pads. I run the stock 4 pots and am VERY happy with them.

You've got other issues that need sorted.

Chris

Echoing what Chris said. The stockers are great with good pads and lines. I changed my calipers to R1 calipers but for the look. They work about the same.

I'm even happy with my original 2-pot calipers on my '86!

OK I do have EBC HH pads, Galfer SS dual lines, and those Chinese wave rotors from fleaBay. But the OEM M/C and calipers do the job just fine - I can lock my front wheel with a handful of break lever.

I would like to get the R1 blue dot calipers, but only cos I really like the look of 'em..

I'm even happy with my original 2-pot calipers on my '86!

OK I do have EBC HH pads, Galfer SS dual lines, and those Chinese wave rotors from fleaBay. But the OEM M/C and calipers do the job just fine - I can lock my front wheel with a handful of break lever.

I would like to get the R1 blue dot calipers, but only cos I really like the look of 'em..

Same deal for my 1990, with the wave rotors,better pads, upgraded lines and stock calipers and mc I haven't any feeling for changing to anything more. I would say the pads make a significant difference.

It's not about the ability to lock up wheels it about fade... Fade is what kills people... Literally!

You go into a corner hot, hit the brakes and you make it through that corner but a couple of corners later you hit the brakes and BAM! A LOT less braking and you go wide because you can't scrub speed.

The bigger the rotor and pads surface (within reason) the better.

It's not about the ability to lock up wheels it about fade... Fade is what kills people... Literally!

You go into a corner hot, hit the brakes and you make it through that corner but a couple of corners later you hit the brakes and BAM! A LOT less braking and you go wide because you can't scrub speed.

The bigger the rotor and pads surface (within reason) the better.

Totally agree with you Chris, but I've yet to experience any fade with my setup?:confused2:

And I guess upgrading to the (larger) wave rotors and SS lines has made all the difference..

I am going to add the busa calipers, moving up from my 2 pot calipers. I know what you mean Chris about fade, I ride this one section of road that has a series of turns (usually 90 degree bends) through famers fields. There is plenty of straightaways to get up over 100 then hammer the brakes down to ~50 and power through to the next corner. After about 4-5 of those corners I notice a good bit of fade and have to slow down sooner to make the corners.
I hope the stronger calipers with more surface area will be the ticket. I'm currently running 298mm wavy rotors, SS lines(2 line) and stock 2 pot calipers with HH pads. If the Vmax handled better maybe I wouldn't need better brakes though..:confused2:

Latest posts

Back