Fuel Filter question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymel

Reaction score
Has anybody changed their fuel filter?

Is it an easy process...what does it consist of...is the filter inside or outside the tank?

Thanks,
Jaymel

It's easy. Fuel filter is under seat on right side above battery. Follow the fuel hose from tank.

How long do you think it will take to change it?

So its just as easy as finding it, pulling the old one off and connecting the new one?

It takes all of 20 secs to change the filter after getting the seat off..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Makes sure you're ready to mop up a bit of fuel! Keep sparks well away. You can empty the filter first by disconnecting its inlet and running the motor a couple of minutes - the pump will suck it all out. Make sure the new filter is connected with its arrow pointing the way the fuel flows through it.

Man I must have done that all wrong, I took the wheels, the tree, shocks, pulled the motor out, and foot pegs off to get at the fuel filter. No wonder it took so long to do.
Naa it is right there under the seat took longer to buy the filter than it did change it.

I used a NAPA Gold 3011 Filter as a Replacement:
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=FIL3011_0327014899

Just cut the Smaller part of the Nipples off with a Razor Knife and it fits well.
You can pick one up for just over $3 at any NAPA Store.
I've been using this one on my bike for a few years now without any problems.

Thanks for the link, I used one of those screw together Mr Gasket ones and it's already junk... I'll be picking one of these up today! :clapping:

It's easy. Fuel filter is under seat on right side above battery. Follow the fuel hose from tank.

On top of the fuel tank to be more specific under the crossbar that holds the coils bracket...

$%28KGrHqV,%21g0E9qRSfuFMBPn29eEwtg%7E%7E60_58.JPG

Last edited:
Is there any other reason to change it other than fuel restriction? I thought about it but do not have any restriction problems, etc. Guess the only reason other than restriction is just planned maintenance. Have a 2005 and likely the fuel filter has never been changed. Yamaha recommends at the initial 20k miles and each subsequent 20k miles. I only have 9,800 miles so it is a fair number of miles away.

Is there any other reason to change it other than fuel restriction? I thought about it but do not have any restriction problems, etc. Guess the only reason other than restriction is just planned maintenance. Have a 2005 and likely the fuel filter has never been changed. Yamaha recommends at the initial 20k miles and each subsequent 20k miles. I only have 9,800 miles so it is a fair number of miles away.

Believe me, once a year minimum it should be changed. Yamaha isn't taking into consideration the crap gas we NOW have, at least in the Northeast.
Thanks for the alternative part numbers guys-you rock. I'm tired of the over priced Yamaha filter. The Cycle shop near me isn't to bad. $12. I'd like a see through filter if possible.
Steve

I haven't had any problems with the replaceable Mr. Gasket glass type setup.

I use the clear, glass fuel filters....no issues. I replace or clean the core once a year.

Latest posts

Back