How can I cure my ugly exhaust can?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a bump for Dave 86 best picture to a post award! Perfect, just perfect!
WHAT DID YOU SAY ALLISONTECH? MY EARS ARE STILL RINGING !

I'm pretty sure I used the high temp primer.the compliments I get about the color of the cans are guys saying it gives it an old school hot rod look.if u have the chrome screws around the end make sure u don't paint them with the can.

I'm pretty sure I used the high temp primer.the compliments I get about the color of the cans are guys saying it gives it an old school hot rod look.if u have the chrome screws around the end make sure u don't paint them with the can.

Good point.

Though I need to decide if I want to spray over the name plate.

may want to consider having it blasted down to metal first?

For sure, otherwise it will look even worse than now, not to mention peel immediately.

So here is the results of my temporary fix with some polished aluminum tape. At 5 feet it almost looks normal. Probably wind up painting the can eventually though.

if you paint. make sure you sand all the chrome off. otherwise the chrome that has already flaked off. will be low spots. i don't recommend blasting. it can warp the aluminum. and you don't want to go there. i just did one for a guy here in town. he went gloss black. and it looks good. even reattached the kerker badge.

Eh, drill out the rivets holding the Kerker emblem and fill it in with real weld or some metal filler, sand it down and paint it black.

I see a Kerker can with some kind of polished aluminum tape and I want it painted black, no colors anymore I want them to turn black.

I want to see it painted, painted black
Black as night, black as coal
I wanna see the sun, blotted from the sky
I wanna see it painted, painted, painted, painted black
yeah....

Eh, drill out the rivets holding the Kerker emblem and fill it in with real weld or some metal filler, sand it down and paint it black.

I see a Kerker can with some kind of polished aluminum tape and I want it painted black, no colors anymore I want them to turn black.

I want to see it painted, painted black
Black as night, black as coal
I wanna see the sun, blotted from the sky
I wanna see it painted, painted, painted, painted black
yeah....

Gloss , semi gloss or flat ?:ummm:

I'm fairly certain Mick Jagger would want it painted (flat) black.

I can't post pics from my phone to this site but I could email u a couple if u give me your email address.if not I'll post tonight when I get home.I have some pics if u click on my name.I originally painted them gloss black and left the kerker tag silver but opted to go satin black all over the entire cans(4 into 2)

Could if you used Tapatalk... :eusa_dance:

DUDE!! Remove the redneck repair... You DO NOT want to be one of those people... Not to mention, that tape won't last. The pipe gets WAY too hot.

Chris

DUDE!! Remove the redneck repair... You DO NOT want to be one of those people... Not to mention, that tape won't last. The pipe gets WAY too hot.

Chris

tapatalk sucks for posting pics from my phone. my phone also sucks. upgrading this weekend i think tho.

Chris

I'm not worried about it lasting because I have used this type of wrap on turbo down pipes and its perfectly fine.

Ill think about painting once the weather gets better. The rest of the bike isnt much better so aesthetics arent a primary concern.

Why would you use it on a turbo down pipe?

That looks like the stuff I use on my furnace duct work.

Why would you use it on a turbo down pipe?

That looks like the stuff I use on my furnace duct work.

A guy I helped wanted his pipe wrapped so it didn't look ugly after the paint chipped off; obviously not its intended use. I wrapped it over fiberglass weave on a few hoses that came close to the down pipe to reflect some of the heat. Its definitely not for duct work, this is automotive grade self adhesive alum wrap and its pretty thick.

Anyone having difficulty staying logged-in tonight? Twice I have been kicked-off after signing-in when I tried to post.

I check-out some local scrap yards for material and occasionally I see old mcy. cans, which you can usually buy for scrap prices, but sometimes the greedy operators want to charge you more, because they know you are going to use it on a bike. When they try to pull that, I usually leave w/o it & look for a more-accommodating yard.

Recently I got a craigslist Honda 954 RR can in perfect shape and I am planning to use it on my FZR1000. I have a spare complete exhaust from which I am going to use the header pipes & have a muffler shop I use do a tapered collector welded-onto the stock pipe & bolted onto the 3-bolt flange of the 954 RR can. It looks like the transition piece should only be about 5" long, if that. I have a stock set of carbs to install a jet kit into & K&N pods for the carbs. Vintage hop-up of a Yamaha!

Another way to disguise the ugly dented can would be to make a kraft paper pattern of the can and then cut it out of a thin sheet of aluminum & use screw clamps to hold the cover to the can. A bit of sourcing should turn-up something solid instead of a perf-band radiator clamp. The big-box hardware stores carry some for metal ductwork, but you would have to see if the size is similar to what you need. If you used thicker gauge material, you could use some PVC pipe roughly-comparable in dia. to your can to pre-form it to the cylindrical contour before you install it for a 'more-finished' look. Another good reason for a trip to the scrapyard!

I know a few guys around here that use Brownell's aluma hyde for the exhaust on their Hardly's...it holds up great unless you lay thew bike down obviously...prep is key though.

I got tired of looking at the aluminum wrap. That shit was seriously an eyesore up close. I decided to take care of it in a more appealing manner. Since I didn't feel like paying someone to strip the chrome or re-chrome the can just yet, I got a flap wheel and went after the loose chrome. As predicted earlier it was damn near impossible to take off what wasn't already peeling, but I was expecting that. I cleaned it up as much as I could with a 36 and 60 grit wheel, though a 120 would have been better. I then went at it with 320 grit sand paper and then coated with 6 coats of BBQ paint.

Result:

Its not as smooth as I would like, but thats expected with this backyard bandaid. But I think infinitely better than before.

Latest posts

Back