How does gen 1 vmax stack up??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmax06

Reaction score
I give it its pretty quick but
Against a 600cc sport bike in straight line performance???????? (ex:ninja zx6r. honda cbr, yamaha r6, etc.)
I know twisties are a different thing

Having never ridden a sport bike, it really interests me.

thanx guys

I believe the Max will have the upper hand off the mark, but once the 600 gets up in the revs it will go past. As far as top speed's concerned, I'm pretty sure most modern 600 SS bikes go way faster than Max, even if they take a little longer getting there.

i took a 98 cbr 600 f3 out on the interstate balls out and got up to 130 and it just had nothing left.

im sure a newer RR fuel injected model would melt ya though :(

Both my '88 KLR 650 and my '94 Pegaso 650 were good for 110mph, and they were dual sport big singles.

IMO most modern 600 inline 4s are good for 150+

Thanx for the feedback guys. Yea i was talking about newer 600's because noone rides older ones anymore...

I ride my 1985 V-Max,my best friend rides the 07 CBR 600 RR (the most powerful production 600 ever built up to date and he never lets us forget it) and weve wrestled some stop lights together and heres how it goes...

The light turns red,we pull up side-by-side.A little rev and a few fast glances at one another and the road ahead tell us both "its ON!":boxing00:

I preload my bike to about 2grand with a few throttle blips and then I perch on the bars with my legs out as far as I can reach to either side for stability,he lays down on his tank and stares at the light...

The light turns green,my front end comes up a little while I fight her back down and POOF!My shift light hits,I do a wheelie from 1st-2nd gear and by the time my shocks compress from the 1st-2nd wheelie... POOF! shift light again,another wheelie going from 2nd into 3rd

At this point hes still behind me and Im watching his headlight in the lane next to me from behind shine on the ground next to me (a quick guage as to how far back he is),then into the sky,then onto the ground,then into the sky...hes fighting much more than I am to keep his 325 pound bike on both tires...

Then comes the scream of what sounds like killer bees and he blows past me as Im coming into the top of 3rd or as I reach for 4th.From then on he gets further and further away but not by much... until he locks into 6th gear and I platue at 5th or I back off because I dont trust my breaks at that speed like he does.

Then he's a F****** memory and I cut back to the speed limit in case any highway patrol were watching our display:whistlin:.This is how it goes almost every time.

Its not pretty,it makes you feel a little beat to know a bike with half your engine just skunked you:looser:... but then at the next red light the poor cars we left sitting at the LAST stop light catch up to tell us how awsome it was to witness the race:ten_out_of_ten:...AND THAT MY FRIEND IS WHEN YOU SAY "YEAH, MINE DIDNT DO TOO BAD FOR A BIKE THATS 22 YEARS OLDER THAN HIS!" and make him feel like his huge monthly payments and painfully high insurance rates arent worth the 3 second lead he had on you.
Now whos laughing???:rofl_200:

The above post is pretty much reality. The Vmax can launch hard and not end up on the rider unlike a 600SS bike. So, light to light, the Vmax is generally the winner unless the SS rider is a great launcher. In the 1/4, the 600 will generally win. As for a 1000 SS bike... forget it!
The Gen 2 Vmax puts it back in our favor.

I ride my 1985 V-Max,my best friend rides the 07 CBR 600 RR (the most powerful production 600 ever built up to date and he never lets us forget it) and weve wrestled some stop lights together and heres how it goes...

The light turns red,we pull up side-by-side.A little rev and a few fast glances at one another and the road ahead tell us both "its ON!":boxing00:

I preload my bike to about 2grand with a few throttle blips and then I perch on the bars with my legs out as far as I can reach to either side for stability,he lays down on his tank and stares at the light...

The light turns green,my front end comes up a little while I fight her back down and POOF!My shift light hits,I do a wheelie from 1st-2nd gear and by the time my shocks compress from the 1st-2nd wheelie... POOF! shift light again,another wheelie going from 2nd into 3rd

At this point hes still behind me and Im watching his headlight in the lane next to me from behind shine on the ground next to me (a quick guage as to how far back he is),then into the sky,then onto the ground,then into the sky...hes fighting much more than I am to keep his 325 pound bike on both tires...

Then comes the scream of what sounds like killer bees and he blows past me as Im coming into the top of 3rd or as I reach for 4th.From then on he gets further and further away but not by much... until he locks into 6th gear and I platue at 5th or I back off because I dont trust my breaks at that speed like he does.

Then he's a F****** memory and I cut back to the speed limit in case any highway patrol were watching our display:whistlin:.This is how it goes almost every time.

Its not pretty,it makes you feel a little beat to know a bike with half your engine just skunked you:looser:... but then at the next red light the poor cars we left sitting at the LAST stop light catch up to tell us how awsome it was to witness the race:ten_out_of_ten:...AND THAT MY FRIEND IS WHEN YOU SAY "YEAH, MINE DIDNT DO TOO BAD FOR A BIKE THATS 22 YEARS OLDER THAN HIS!" and make him feel like his huge monthly payments and painfully high insurance rates arent worth the 3 second lead he had on you.

Wait till you get yours tuned right... It makes a difference...:punk:

yeah no joke! All in due time,I have to take care of that little richness issue but man it kills me to mess with anything when I finally have it running this well (compared to previously that is)

The 1000cc bikes just catch up quicker, and go by faster. I think my brother napping if I can stay in front of him until 3rd gear, usually he's by me while I'm still in 2nd.
His bike is a '03 FZ1, DW4 into1, timing advance, and carb kit; he weighs 100 lbs less than me. He's also changed his gearing so he could launch better but I can still whip him off the line! HAH! When he goes past me its usually on one wheel and faster 'n hell though! I need a gen2 or maybe one of Sean's 1500cc monsters to show him the way!

my plan retrospectively is some fat cams,a headers kit,and one of 3 options I argue constantly with myself
A) stop horse assing around with my little carbs and just slap a belt drive super charger on it with a 4 barrel carb and a prop blower stickin outta my fake tank
B)Vgas carbs
C)wait for those fab happy gents to finish the "less $ than your mortgage" fuel injection system
They all have hi/low points to them but Im willing to deal with them but I gotta choose the best one for me before I start saving for it.That will show my plastic fairing friend the tail lights.I mean how BITCHIN would this be???

Attachments

• wakan4.jpg
    wakan4.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 50
Ok, I've owned both so I'll chime in here. I completely concur with Blitz's write up. The max will be faster off the line every time and you should be able to hold most sport bike riders off until say about 60mph. After that, you are toast.

I had the Honda 600 CBR F4. It's fast, there is no doubt about it, but right off the line ... it sucks. You really have to launch it hard and it isn't until you get to maybe 6K or so that it wakes up and takes you to the races, whereas the max is fast and hard right off the line.

The difference is, that when the sport bikes hit the powerband, it hits harder, it lasts longer, and they've got soooo much more top end.

Even on my Rocket, the story was pretty similar, I could hold them off until about 60mph. With the supercharger, I can hold them off until right around 100mph, and then again, they catch up.

It's just a different machine.

Oh, and as for the twisties stuff, there is no comparison. Any decent rider should be able to put a max or a rocket or any other non-sport bike to shame in the twisties.

However ... with all of the above said, I love my max, and I love my rocket, because launching hard from 0mph is what's fun for me. And I don't tend to go racing down city roads at 100mph, so the red light to red light race circuit is where its at for me personally, and I can win those races on the max or the rocket.

Good grief ... I should start working.

before this bike, I had an 07 R6. My R6 would have beat my max w/equal riders to 100. I'd have to shift 2-3 times to the R6s once. That thing did over 70 in first and close to 100 in second.

I agree with Mr. Pickles....I had a stock 99 CBR 600 F4, and I know for a fact I could take my current stock 06 max any day of the week. The CBR was a 375lb rubberband, compared to the 620lb torque monster vmax. I am certain that up to 100mph, the CBR was quicker, faster, ect.. If you are racing one and winning, (NO MODS), the other rider does not know how to ride it.

I agree with Mr. Pickles....I had a stock 99 CBR 600 F4, and I know for a fact I could take my current stock 06 max any day of the week. The CBR was a 375lb rubberband, compared to the 620lb torque monster vmax. I am certain that up to 100mph, the CBR was quicker, faster, ect.. If you are racing one and winning, (NO MODS), the other rider does not know how to ride it.

That's the identical bike that I had. Black and yellow. I still think the max is faster off the line and probably up to 60, but its very possible that I indeed lacked the proper skill on the F4. With the max, I can just twist and go :)

Either way, both were a hell of a lot of fun, and the F4 could pull some monster wheelies. A bit tougher on the max.

Hey Ace
I will take on your friend!!!!!!!

hahaha believe me he IS NOT worth your time.He has his head so far up his own..."ego" he would give some bull crap excuse why he got smacked around.But if you feel like smackin him around a bit be my guest. He says quote: "ok?"

Latest posts

Back