Integrated CBR LED Tail Light Mounting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went back to post 1 and glossed over the entire thread. it's really cool too see how this mod evolved from its humble beginnings to present day.

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

I mounted my light this weekend. I laid the light in the fender where it fit the best, marked it's location and used a large amount of black silicone. I pushed it down into position and the silicone squished out all around. After it was completely dry (24hrs), I cut and trimmed it all away with a razor blade. It looks really nice.
I cut the inner fender back just behind the light and painted the cut edge. I made a plate adapter from aluminum to lower the plate and used the studs on the back of the light to mount it.
It all looks awesome.

Now to find something for the front that is as cool by comparison.

Lookin good er'yone..
Im thinkin of doin it too.

Though it is becoming pretty common now..but looks soooooo bada$$.

T$

That looks really nice. I want ot do that too. The brake light is ugly for sure on a stocker.
Steve-o

Thanks, the light truly makes the bike look like a different animal. And it has never been about doing it because other people had not, it is about doing it because it makes the bike look a lot meaner.

Great install procedure and piccies Todd! Someone make this a sticky if it isn't already!

That sure is a great mod. When my Max (eventually) gets through the red tape here and I lay my hands on it, I'll be installing a shorter Exactrep rear mudguard, so it'll be interesting to see if the CBR light fits in there also.

I'm going a different route. I bought a LED Taillight from Whelen. Picked up the 500 series light. Plan is to mount it where the reflector at the back of the seat is. Light is flash programable for those that like the flash warning when braking.
I will post up some pictures of the install as soon as I get a chance to do it.

Ray

OK here is the Whelen Tail light install on my 2001.

We all know what the bike looks stock.
E41A0239.jpg

E41A0241.jpg

So I removed the stock reflector and mounting plate. Drilled the required holes.

E41A0242.jpg

This is the light.
E41A0243.jpg

And the mounting to the plate.

E41A0244.jpg

E41A0245.jpg

E41A0246.jpg

Wires in shrink tubing and the support brace installed.

E41A0247.jpg

Mounted

E41A0248.jpg

Supplied wires are the perfect length.

E41A0251.jpg

Drilled out the spot welds on the rear plate frame and removed.

E41A0249.jpg

E41A0250.jpg

For the plate mounting I just bolted a 1/2" piece of flat to the frame and attached the plate to it after a shot of black paint.

Finished product.

E41A0258.jpg

E41A0257.jpg

E41A0256.jpg

E41A0255.jpg

The light has several programable flash modes for alert flashes when braking but I didn't use them.
The picture with the light on is just the park light. I tried to get one of the brake but it was tooo bright and washed out the picture.
No problem seeing this light at all.

Total cost $46.

Ray

Hey everyone, I am just wondering how you routed the wires? Most of these pics show a plate against the CBR light, but no cut out or relief to run from the light to ontop of the fender.

i routed the wires between the fender and and the support. there is a channel/groove of the perfect dimensions that the wires fit into

OK here is the Whelen Tail light install on my 2001.

We all know what the bike looks stock.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For the plate mounting I just bolted a 1/2" piece of flat to the frame and attached the plate to it after a shot of black paint.

Finished product.

E41A0258.jpg

E41A0257.jpg

E41A0256.jpg

E41A0255.jpg

The light has several programable flash modes for alert flashes when braking but I didn't use them.
The picture with the light on is just the park light. I tried to get one of the brake but it was tooo bright and washed out the picture.
No problem seeing this light at all.

Total cost $46.

Ray
Hello Ray and welcome to VMF!
Nice find of the LED and a nice write up as well. I know you named the brand of LED but I'm going to add a link for those that will ask:
http://www.strobesnmore.com/Nova-Wide-Angle-SLULTRA-LEDs.html

In regards to routing the wires, I thought that is what could be done, but there has to be room for the wires to come out of the CBR unit. Perhaps only a couple of tangs off the inner support brace for the CBR unit to mount to would allow the wires to run through that channel and up above the fender . I would still like to see some pics before hacking my inner fender support up would be great!!!

In regards to routing the wires ... I would still like to see some pics before hacking my inner fender support up would be great!!!

this is the best that i could do without disassembling. to put things into perspective: 1) at the bottom is my license plate, 2) at the top is the fender's inner support with some door edge molding running along the edge, 3) coming out of the grommet is the fixture's wiring, which is routed up into the fender's inner support's channel, and 4) the red and black wires going off to the both sides are unrelated (i spliced them into the circuit to power some license plate illumination nuts).

Do you have the fixture in hand? If so, dry-fit it. It should become obvious where to make the cut.

uploadfromtaptalk1353861881129.jpg

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

Latest posts

Back