Is it just me, or...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well I haven't been here on the forum for long but I've had a couple of vmx's and I must say, I would have never put the time and money into this one had it not been for the info and help from a lot of ya'll !!! So don't give up yet I bet i can find a few stupid questions you ain't heard yet.There aren't any vmx's on the road in my area so i get that what is that look from people daily!If guys would quit stripping these complete bikes just for more profit than getting it running would help.But to show ya'll what I think about the forum and the max read my thread and see if that makes you feel better(why the vmax)

I've had my Max since 1985, and I can still come up with dumb questions about it. Dumb, not Stupid. The difference to me is, the Stupid question is the one that is not asked.

Did everyone just stop visiting this site? I've been a member for a long time, and it seems like this is the quietest I've ever seen it here. Hope the new software isn't keeping folks away.. (Although personally, I preferred the Forum the way it was set up before)

I check in from time to time, sold my 94 and replaced it with a VRod. No not as quick it is what it is. My thoughts on the Gen2 is no they dont need much modding, and most guys dont want to dump 10 grand give or take into one. I'll probably own another Gen 1 in the future but for now enjoying the 'Rod.

I still visit this site I just don’t really participate since I sold my VMax and now do not have a bike of any sort....I do miss her though.....some days really badly

90786B78-F201-4EAE-BE3E-90D7F050BA75.jpeg Life happens, shit changes. Bikes come and go , I may be back someday hawking seats again....
  • First illl need to find another fiberglass guy , my old one retired.:(

I got an email on this thread so I figured Id jump in :) I bought a new 2018 VMax in April and the bike has been awesome. Obviously, no bike is perfect, but I love the fact I dont need to dump more $$$ into it to get decent performance. There have only been 3 things I did: 1) Got a custom Corbin seat to lower the bike. Im about 5'8" and was on my toes. The seat actually did help with this. 2) installed the lower backrest. 4) Installed the Denali Sound Bomb for the horn. This was HUGGGEEE!!! Glad I did it :)

Just purchased a 2014 Vmax with 1900 miles .... and love it.... I have been riding a 2007 Vmax and still own it.... I just upgraded the exhaust with a Star Rider Mega system and the sound is great. I enjoy the info I get from this site....so keep it coming..... :)

I as well got a email and want to say this site is extemely helpful and the reason my 2000 Max is still running. Ive had my issues with it but yall help lots.

WOLO horn VMax.jpg
If guys would quit stripping these complete bikes just for more profit than getting it running would help.But to show ya'll what I think about the forum and the max read my thread and see if that makes you feel better(why the vmax)

That's how we get reasonably-priced parts to keep our bikes running, instead of buying new Yamaha parts, although for some things I need to buy new. Brass parts for the carbs, carb slides/diaphragms; gears (the #2/#5 mating gears to fix the second gear issue; shift forks, the shift drum; clutch friction discs; electrical components; some of the things to buy OEM new, as used ones are just plain worn-out or broken.

'glickmpb' wrote: Installed the Denali Sound Bomb for the horn. This was HUGGGEEE!!! Glad I did it

Denali makes good but expensive products. You can buy the same design horn from WOLO, theirs is called the 'Bad Boy." Harbor Freight sells it. https://www.harborfreight.com/bad-boy-air-horn-94117.html Their price is considerably cheaper (see below). We all like to save $. I'm pretty-sure it also comes with a relay (installation instructions, below), which is an additional cost with Denali. The relay helps to power the horn. I have a thread for mounting the WOLO on a Gen. 1 where it can be more-easily heard, than the stock mounting point by the exhaust header pipe for the #1 cylinder. See post #18: https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/a-new-horn-for-the-vmax.24587/#post-412478

I checked revzilla for the current Denali airhorn pricing, $50 and the accessory wiring kit is $18, so call it $68. The Harbor Freight WOLO 'Bad Bot' is almost exactly half the cost, if you appreciate saving money.

https://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/94000-94999/94117.pdf

'twistedmax,' that CB500-4 looks very clean, except for the seat. Do you know anyone who can fix-that? I currently have a SOHC 750-4 in my collection, waiting for its refurbishment. I just rebuilt the front brake caliper and master cylinder, I have a tool I fabricated which made it much-easier to disassemble a frozen master cylinder piston, let me know via the new 'messaging' if you are in-need of one. I also had to do a disassembly of the caliper, which wouldn't budge under air pressure to move the piston. I can send you directions on getting it apart, using things you probably already have in your shop. A dealer, if you could find one willing to work on that-old of a bike, would probably want $500 to fix those two things, parts included, which you can do for $50, including parts and the fabricated disassembly tool.

Last edited:
thats great if the bike is salvage and cant be fixed within resoan but just like my local salvage yard has a complete bike would not sale the bike straight out.just a matter of numbers and they will all be gone at that rate.But just like the thread title says maybe it's just me!!!

I’ve been too busy wrenching on Skyshot to post much. Rockatansky is recovering from surgery, and hopefully is off the sea foam for good. It’s an ugly addiction

This new software SUCKS. Javascript? Dead technology. Security risk. Who in their right mind would intentionally move to a javascript-based software package? SMH. I just had to re-enable it just to post. I definite won't be contributing any cash any more, and while I have only been lurking here recently, that is less likely now.

VERY sorry to see Buster sold it. :(

Last edited:
View attachment 68101 Life happens, shit changes. Bikes come and go , I may be back someday hawking seats again....
  • First illl need to find another fiberglass guy , my old one retired.:(
go to ebay and get a mst cyl for 15 bucks i put one on my goldwing and maybe it was luck but it worked better than my orig its lasted for 2 yearas now hope that helps you out

I'm still here, but been super busy with work and other things for the last 2/3 months. Things are a little slower at work now but still have some catch up to do, I guess it's job security or so they say!

The sad change here is.
The list of new post is too short and can't find the full list. (this was possible in the old version).
I more often use starvmax forum. more easy to find new post and discussion.

I'm still here, but not as frequently as I used to be. Work and life have picked up, and sometimes I just get busy.

Did everyone just stop visiting this site? I've been a member for a long time, and it seems like this is the quietest I've ever seen it here. Hope the new software isn't keeping folks away.. (Although personally, I preferred the Forum the way it was set up before)

I find it harder to use the desktop version of it, but that’s just because I used Tapatalk for everything forum related. Still browsing when I can, I’m in the middle of a project I’ll post pics on here in a week or so

I almost never come to this forum. My computer time is spent on facebook. Been just over 2 years since my wife had a stroke. Has been just over a year since I moved her out of a Nursing home and back to our home. She is bedridden and can only move one arm.She is totally dependent on me. I didn't know if I could do the care but I have been doing it. I sold my Vmax, and at times miss it. When she passes, doctors gave her 6 months one year ago, I may buy another motorcycle. But it wouldn't be a Vmax. Been there done that. The time to decide isn't now so I no idea which direction I would go. But I keep keying on Kawasaki 1 liter supercharged sportbike.

Back