Just ordered Mark's Exhaust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djw479

Reaction score
Woo-Hoo :clapping:

There's snow on the ground in Chicago, but I am dreaming of warmer weather. Right now this 54yo man feels like a teenager just getting his driver's license!

Left a voicemail for Mark this morning and he called me back within an hour. Purchased the $699 special on his new site...stainless steel pipes with 14" aluminum cans.

Currently I have OEM pipes with Kerker slipons and Stage7 kit (purchased the bike this way). Never liked the throttle response much and therefore didn't ride it as much as I will this year.

Mark is a good guy to deal with, and he's able to ship the system out tomorrow. I'll be installing them the first weekend after they get here...can't wait. Probably won't be able to ride it much until later March, but I will be starting it up to listen to the rumble.

I'll be reviewing other topics on this site regarding installing system, but if anyone has any tips please respond here with any advice.

Thanks, Dan

your bike musta ran like crap with stg7 and slip ons. is vboost removed? held wide open?

marks are pretty easy from what i hear, same as the rest. for my walkers the trick is getting the rear headers positioned loosely then putting the Y's on and then feeding the front headers to the exhaust ports.

new exhaust gaskets would be recommended!

Thanks for quick response!!! I will be picking up some new exhaust gaskets, as I "plan" on installing it only once.

Bike ran OK with one flat spot until past 3/4 throttle. At WOT sometimes it ran OK but more often it just seemed flat and did not pull hard at all.

Just checked the weather and its going to get colder over the next week. I have an unheated garage so I may have to wait a little while. OR just work on it until the fingers get numb, go in the house and wait until I have feelings in the fingers again, and then return to the garage for another stint. I can't wait until we hit 40 degrees :(

Thanks for quick response!!! I will be picking up some new exhaust gaskets, as I "plan" on installing it only once.

Bike ran OK with one flat spot until past 3/4 throttle. At WOT sometimes it ran OK but more often it just seemed flat and did not pull hard at all.

Just checked the weather and its going to get colder over the next week. I have an unheated garage so I may have to wait a little while. OR just work on it until the fingers get numb, go in the house and wait until I have feelings in the fingers again, and then return to the garage for another stint. I can't wait until we hit 40 degrees :(

i bet you were running rich as hell. whats your vboost situation?

i'll tell u what some dual 500W halogen lamps work great for light and heat. like $35 with stand at harbor freight.

Your gonna be happy with that purchase. If it was mine, I dont think that I would be able to wait for warm weather to install it. I would be chilled to the bone.

i bet you were running rich as hell. whats your vboost situation?

i'll tell u what some dual 500W halogen lamps work great for light and heat. like $35 with stand at harbor freight.

I think Vboost is disconnected as I hear no cycling when turning key on prior to starting. It sounds great at idle, has that sound of a very-well cammed, louder V8 as the slipons have the comp baffles in them. It ran OK while on the low speed circuit, except for the very noticeable hesitation/stumble spot.

I imagine I will have to do some carb work once I get the Mark's exhaust on it, and that is one area I am totally inexperienced in. I'm just a weekend tool spinner with basic tools, not a mechanic.

If anyone knows of a carb-experienced V-Maxxer who's semi-close to me, please let me know. I'd like to meet-up with them and pick their brain. Carbs and I = :ummm:

Last year we lost my mother/I'm the executor, got laid-off for a second time and also found out I'm diabetic, so there were a few "small" things on my mind other than Mr. Max. Currently all that stuff is sorted out except selling her home(I'm not holding my breath for that to happen soon). Well, except I'm still under-employed. But should that stop me from getting a good deal on the exhaust? NOPE! This year I plan on enjoying riding the V-Max and forget about all of life's crap.

Dan

Last edited:
Dan, Are you planning on going back to the oem set-up, stock jets, needles, airbox, etc.? If you're thinking along those lines I could give you a hand setting the Mark's up, phone, mail...something like that.
Don't know jack about the Stg. 7 & Mark's tho.

I initial thoughts are to retain the Stage7, as when I bought the bike I did not receive the stock air box, etc. I'm somewhat cash-strapped, so I thought I would try and make the Stage7/Marks combo work first.

I know...I'm cash-strapped but just bought a complete exhaust system? Sometimes we just gotta do what we gotta do!?! :rofl_200:

You'll be really happy with the Mark's exhaust! I have the 4-2 and Morley's Jet Kit. 157.5 jets worked for me. Drives great, no stumbles, all power. The bonus is it sounds awesome. Enjoy!

I couldn't wait to drive it so as long as it's 30 and above I'm riding. :eusa_dance:

i'd put the exhaust on, make note of what you can for needle settings etc and see where you are, do some plug readings, report here and go from there.

a $50 dyno run locally could tell us a lot too (one at 25% throttle, one at 60% throttle and one at WOT) inorder to point you in a direction

I think Vboost is disconnected as I hear no cycling when turning key on prior to starting. It sounds great at idle, has that sound of a very-well cammed, louder V8 as the slipons have the comp baffles in them. It ran OK while on the low speed circuit, except for the very noticeable hesitation/stumble spot.

I imagine I will have to do some carb work once I get the Mark's exhaust on it, and that is one area I am totally inexperienced in. I'm just a weekend tool spinner with basic tools, not a mechanic.

If anyone knows of a carb-experienced V-Maxxer who's semi-close to me, please let me know. I'd like to meet-up with them and pick their brain. Carbs and I = :ummm:

Last year we lost my mother/I'm the executor, got laid-off for a second time and also found out I'm diabetic, so there were a few "small" things on my mind other than Mr. Max. Currently all that stuff is sorted out except selling her home(I'm not holding my breath for that to happen soon). Well, except I'm still under-employed. But should that stop me from getting a good deal on the exhaust? NOPE! This year I plan on enjoying riding the V-Max and forget about all of life's crap.

Dan
Dan, sorry to hear about your loss. You have a few things on your plate for sure.
I too am diabetic, 4 years now since I was diagnosed. Follow your doctors direction, don't be afraid to let your doctor know how your feeling as he is going to need to know what treatment will work best for you by how you feel. I had some meds 2 years ago that had me down in the dumps but I think we have that worked out better now. I just need a little more motivation to get to the gym and lose 25-30 lbs.:thumbs up:
You should really enjoy your Marks as they will really change the sound and feeling of power with your Vmax.
Hope your able to find some work sooner than later.

Last edited:
You wanna part with your slip-ons???:ummm:

I just mangled my Supertrapps.......

Just thought I'd ask.........:confused2:

Kaboom...send you an answer to your PM.

Redbone...thanks for the thoughts, especially on the diabetes. I am able to control it with just Metformin with most morning readings of 95 to 120, so it is OK for now. But I sure do miss my occasional Snickers bar! :tantrum:

Where is Brimley in the UP? I get to Tomahawk, WI often so we are not world's apart...but I keep an old HD RoadKing up there as I am close to the Harley-Davidson plant in Tomahawk and partake in their Fall Ride event almost every year. While its a HD-sponsored event, there are occasionally other brands being ridden and I've never seen any outright brand-bashing.

I haven't gotten the V-Max up there yet, but plan to sometime in the future...maybe we can get together sometime for a minor V-Max meeting in the upper northwoods!

Dan

Latest posts

Back