Lets Bench Race - 2002 bolt on Vmax vs. 2003 bolt on C5Z06

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acammer

Reaction score
So, my good friend Rob has a real sharp '03 Z06 Vette. Nice car, very tasteful asthetic mods - silver car with black wheels on a chrome lip, and blackouts. The go-fast parts are also well through out for a bolt on car, a full header back exhaust with x-pipe, Borla Stingers, Vararam cold/ram air intake, 160* stat, a tune, and a short shifter. Good street tires, but not drag radials. I've spent a little seat time behind the wheel, the car runs great, and really moves.

Bolt on C5 Z06's of similar builds are typically a mid/high 11 second car with a 122ish trap. Drag radial's can see low 11's with similar mods, but that's not the case here.

My bike is a near stock 19k 2002, with Super-trapps (thanks Kyle) with open end caps (thanks Sean), and a Dyna 3000. Runs great.

We are co-workers, have have recently been bench racing the Z06 against my Vmax to death. The consensus is that the Vmax should be a pretty clear winner from a stopped street race on the to 60-80mph speeds, at still be ahead but losing it's lead at least through a 1/4 mile. At a 1/4 mile track, the Z06 would be closer because it'll hook a little better, but will probably still be a few tenths behind. From a 40-100 roll it should be real close, and at triple digit speeds, the Z06 is going to have the clear advantage. This is all assuming a can launch and shift my way to a mid/low 11 or better. I'm a pretty good sized gentleman at 260lbs, which I know will almost certainly keep me out of the 10's, but I think it does help keep hooked up on the launch, and gives me more than enough to lean into the wheelie I fight in first and on the 1-2 shift. My Harlen shift light goes on this weekend, that should help me nail my shifts while keeping my eyes on the track.

We are hoping to get some runs in next week - what do you guys think? If we get a hot enough debate going, I may even be able to get him to register and join in.

I'd pretty much agree with your thoughts but this sounds like it could be kind of close. I'd still bet on the Vmax in the 1/4 and "stoplight to stoplight" kind of racing, but as you noted top speed obviously goes to the car. So choose races accordingly.

Bench racing....the favorite pastime of men bullshitting each other lol

Bench racing....the favorite pastime of men bullshitting each other lol

It's all we got in the winter time... keeps my mind from turning to complete mush at work. We'll try and get some video, it'll be interesting, and a aural treat if nothing else... I can hardly think of two finer sounds machines.

What's the HP of a 2006 Z06? is it the 405 horse or the 500 something horse?

If it's the 500 hp ones I've seen at the track, with drag radials you'll have a really hard time beating the 60' times it can put down, or any where else for that matter.

I wiegh 235 and have alot of passes under my belt, which doesn't mean I've learned anything really, but anyway I've never broken into the 10's, and 11.30 is the best I've ever put down with a pipe and some jetting

What's the HP of a 2006 Z06? is it the 405 horse or the 500 something horse?

If it's the 500 hp ones I've seen at the track, with drag radials you'll have a really hard time beating the 60' times it can put down, or any where else for that matter.

I wiegh 235 and have alot of passes under my belt, which doesn't mean I've learned anything really, but anyway I've never broken into the 10's, and 11.30 is the best I've ever put down with a pipe and some jetting

This is an '03, LS6 - 405hp stock, he's probably close to 400hp at the wheels with his mods. It would be reasonable to expect him to crank off anywhere from a 11.9 to 11.5 with really good driving. On the street he is significantly more handicapped from a dig due to traction, the car hooks decent, but nothing like the Max.

I have no doubt the 500hp LS7 with a decent driver would be quicker.

This should be interesting. We will have a track day at some point this year, we'll see what we can do for some actual times then.

This is an '03, LS6 - 405hp stock, he's probably close to 400hp at the wheels with his mods. It would be reasonable to expect him to crank off anywhere from a 11.9 to 11.5 with really good driving. On the street he is significantly more handicapped from a dig due to traction, the car hooks decent, but nothing like the Max.

I have no doubt the 500hp LS7 with a decent driver would be quicker.

This should be interesting. We will have a track day at some point this year, we'll see what we can do for some actual times then.

In that case I think you'll smoke his ass if you can launch the Vmax.

Figure the Vmax at 115hp is running a little over .19hp/lb, and a 450hp '03 vette is about the same at .14hp/lb on paper its going to be pretty close if he hooks up.

I think if you strap your front end down to aid in the launch, you'll take him.

My friend's cobra is insane at .26hp/lb. 500hp in a 1900 lb car. but needless to say when he gets on it, there tends to be traction issues.

Attachments

• P1030164.jpg
    P1030164.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 21
Figure the Vmax at 115hp is running a little over .19hp/lb, and a 450hp '03 vette is about the same at .14hp/lb on paper its going to be pretty close if he hooks up.

I think if you strap your front end down to aid in the launch, you'll take him.

My friend's cobra is insane at .26hp/lb. 500hp in a 1900 lb car. but needless to say when he gets on it, there tends to be traction issues.

Not to hijack the thread, but is that your Vmax beside the AC Cobra? Very nice bike if it is!! I really like your headlight setup, could you tell me where you got them and approximate price? I'm always looking to change things on my bike and I think that is a real cool look. Thanks, Ed

Not to hijack the thread, but is that your Vmax beside the AC Cobra? Very nice bike if it is!! I really like your headlight setup, could you tell me where you got them and approximate price? I'm always looking to change things on my bike and I think that is a real cool look. Thanks, Ed

Friend's Cobra, my bike. I got the headlights from aztec8.com
http://aztec8.com/catalog/c37_p1.html

Attachments

• Desktop1.jpg
    Desktop1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 11
  • P1030152.jpg
    P1030152.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 13
I like the scoop inserts and radiator cover, too. Where are those from?
Hmm. My buddy in L.A. has a Cobra. I guess I need to arrange a photo op someday, too :) ( Actually, now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind copping his silver with black cobra stripes paint scheme for my max.

Cycle World mag., May ' 85 VMax 0-100-0 in 12.35 sec., 1/4 mile 10.89 @ 128.75 vs. 427 Cobra 0-100-0 in 12.77 sec. , 1/4 mile 12.85 @ 114.64 :clapping:

thats a 12.5 car max wins

I dunno, there are plenty of stone stock C5Z06's that have made 11 second passes, and he is well modded to be a least a few tenths quicker yet. I think it'll be a win no prob for the max on the street in a 0-80 or so race. Street quarter the max wins, strip quarter the max wins, but with little margin. If the Z06 wants a win he will need a fast highway roll, like 60-130. We'll see what happens.

I dunno, there are plenty of stone stock C5Z06's that have made 11 second passes, and he is well modded to be a least a few tenths quicker yet. I think it'll be a win no prob for the max on the street in a 0-80 or so race. Street quarter the max wins, strip quarter the max wins, but with little margin. If the Z06 wants a win he will need a fast highway roll, like 60-130. We'll see what happens.
The race will be fun for sure :) I'm just pleased that my car has the ability to hang with a quick bike such as the vmax. Looking forward to what this summer brings and acammer got his first drive of the season in the z06 last week, I think he was quite pleased :D

Rob

The race will be fun for sure :) I'm just pleased that my car has the ability to hang with a quick bike such as the vmax. Looking forward to what this summer brings and acammer got his first drive of the season in the z06 last week, I think he was quite pleased :D

Rob

Indeed I was (quite pleased). The Vmax's pilot jet on cylinder #2 was giving a fuss when we were suppose to get together last week, so I just drove the cage over. So no race. (Pilot jet has since been cleared and functioning appropriately.) But, yes, I did get to log some more Z06 seat time, and what a joy that car is to drive. I've had several F-bodies, none of them stock, but nothing too wild, and this car is worlds above them. It's also good to have a friend thats willing trust you to flog his car a bit - power shifting demonstration was given - just happens automatically when the hammer drops.

After driving the Z06 a bit, I'm as confident as I was before that the Vmax will pull a pretty easy hole-shot, and should hold that into the triple digits. The Z06 has way way more topend, but that's to be expected with good aero and 300 more horsepower. It'll be interesting when it happens, hopefully we have some good video.

I pull up to Hardly's in my G8 and pray they'll run me... I'd LOVE to show them up... lol

Chris

Latest posts

Back