May buy this Custom Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHEETAH

Reaction score
Max 11.JPG

Max 8.JPG

Max 9.JPGLooking at possibly buying this 97 Max from the original owner. Its in brand new condition. Complete custom as you can see. Some of the mods are UFO pipes, Stage 7 kit, UFO 17 inch rear tire matched to front. steering damper, Exactrep front headlight, Progressive rear shocks, Progressive front fork springs and emulators, custom leather covered seat with gel insert, rear set shift gear, bar end mirrors, polished shaft assembly, grab bar, switch gear, everything on bike is polished, chrome or paint matched etc. Only downside if any is the bike has over 37k miles. Owner is a fanatic and the bike is extremely well cared for. The detail on the bike cannot be appreciated in pics. Tons of chrome or polished accents and custom made pieces. Lots of custom etching on the forks, wheels etc. that carry the theme through. The Tribal things on the tank and fenders are only decals and can be removed. What I want to know is what is a fair value for this bike. I have owned a Vmax about 10 years ago and am ready for another. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Max 3.JPG
    Max 3.JPG
    352.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Max 7.JPG
    Max 7.JPG
    250.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Max 2.JPG
    Max 2.JPG
    306.7 KB · Views: 95
Dude,

37k is not a down side, if thats the only issue in your head buy the bike now. If it is the same bike that is at Thunder every year, it is about the cleanest bike I have ever seen.

Buy it now...if you have the money.

If thats in Johnstown, PA it may be. He said he has gone out there.

37,000 miles show it's been ridden. I would rather buy this bike than a older model with low miles.

I remember seeing that bike on ebay probably 2 years ago.
Beautiful bike...

I wonder if he sold it and the new owner is selling it again or maybe he never sold it and is trying again?

He never sold it. He told me he did have it on ebay and it didnt sell.

I also remember seeing this at Thunder..and remember the numerous little detailed bits on it. I think it's in one or two V-boosts as well..Nice..

I also remember seeing this at Thunder..and remember the numerous little detailed bits on it. I think it's in one or two V-boosts as well..Nice..
What does one or two v-boosts mean? Also, can someone give me a fair value for the bike? I realize that may be difficult. I am trying to decide between this bike and a Valkyrie. I have owned both and love both.

What does one or two v-boosts mean? Also, can someone give me a fair value for the bike? I realize that may be difficult. I am trying to decide between this bike and a Valkyrie. I have owned both and love both.

He's referring to "V Boost" magazine. its a quarterly publication put out to VMOA members.

I can't help ya on the value, but I'd take the Max over the Honda.

Well you can figure a stock 97 max is worth about $4,000.
That guy has lots of money in that bike with upgrades. Not sure what he is asking but, i think it would be a great deal around 6500. Also remember it's 12 years old, Everyone knows that you'll never get out what you put in the bike.

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

What he he asking for it?

Your going to buy a honda over a V-MAX, I think your on the wrong forum.

If you like what he's done to the bike and don't want to change anything? Then buy it, if you can agree on a price.
That bike looks bad ass. The rims and handle bar setup and controls are pricey mods all by themselves. Plus all the other mods.
If I had the money I'd snatch it up that's for sure.
But I'm guessing he's asking at least 8k-10k for it.

I want those rims... They Rock!!!

I can get it for under $7000. I didnt figure a stock max with 37k on it would be worth $4000. It is a sweet bike though.

Sweet looking Max! I'd be all over it for that price. Considering the cost of the wheels, as well as all the other mods, you're so far ahead of the game, I can't see how a true VMax enthusiast could refuse.

If you like it the way it is, and would be willing to buy a Max and modify it into what that one is, then it's probably worth at least $10,000

In reality it might sell for $7k-$8K..

To build that bike yourself would run $20k maybe...

Last edited:
With 37k miles, is there anything in particular that I should look at that may be a potential problem? He did say he had the same problem a friend of mine had with a 97. The bike would idle very rough at stops and sometimes cut out but he tracked it down to a battery problem. Any trans issues with the 97's that Im not aware of?

With 37k miles, is there anything in particular that I should look at that may be a potential problem? He did say he had the same problem a friend of mine had with a 97. The bike would idle very rough at stops and sometimes cut out but he tracked it down to a battery problem. Any trans issues with the 97's that Im not aware of?

37K miles is all depends on who rides it. I have blown 3 engines less then 15K miles on them. On the other hand I have seen VMAX engines with 65K with no issues. This looks like a custom bike and most likely the owner didnt ride it hard. Most show bikes arent ridden hard..
We have a few here with bikes like that very clean and taken care of they dont ever see speeds over 90MPH.
Never heard of a rough idle from a battery issue, most likely not tuned properly. Stage 7 can be challenging for inexpierenced VMAX tuners.

37K miles is all depends on who rides it. I have blown 3 engines less then 15K miles on them. On the other hand I have seen VMAX engines with 65K with no issues. This looks like a custom bike and most likely the owner didnt ride it hard. Most show bikes arent ridden hard..
We have a few here with bikes like that very clean and taken care of they dont ever see speeds over 90MPH.
Never heard of a rough idle from a battery issue, most likely not tuned properly. Stage 7 can be challenging for inexpierenced VMAX tuners.

isn't rusty's bike have like 120k and he's had to do minimal maintenance (considering the mileage)?

37K, 12 year old bike, that's about 3K a year. If the bike has been properly maintained, and it sounds like it has, I wouldn't be a bit afraid of it.

I would take a bike that has been driven 2K - 4K a year over a garage queen, any day!

Rough idle could also be attributed to dirty idle circuits, may want to plan on a good carb cleaning.

Back