May buy this Custom Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bike is totally custom and well taken care of. Had a disagreement with the seller on a couple things. I was going to go buy the bike this Saturday.
He has been running the bike without the thermostat for the last 4 years. Says he doesnt use it much in the winter and it runs better without it in the summer. I explained that I ride some in the winter and would like to have the t-stat put back in before purchasing. He refuses to do it. I can do it myself but I would just like to make sure it runs good with all normal components in place. Am I asking too much?
He also is annoyed that when I went to see the bike that I "talked him in to starting it" against his better judgement. It was in the low 40's and he doesnt normally ride when its that cold. He then was forced to ride it because he never just starts his bikes and shuts them off. Says it is too much wear and tear on the motor over years. He was extremely annoyed to say the least. Is it me?
Up until that, everything was fine. He is extremely over the top but no problems until that in our conversations.

Bike is totally custom and well taken care of. Had a disagreement with the seller on a couple things. I was going to go buy the bike this Saturday.
He has been running the bike without the thermostat for the last 4 years. Says he doesnt use it much in the winter and it runs better without it in the summer. I explained that I ride some in the winter and would like to have the t-stat put back in before purchasing. He refuses to do it. I can do it myself but I would just like to make sure it runs good with all normal components in place. Am I asking too much?
He also is annoyed that when I went to see the bike that I "talked him in to starting it" against his better judgement. He then was forced to ride it because he never just starts his bikes and shuts them off. Says it is too much wear and tear on the motor over years. He was extremely annoyed to say the least. Is it me?

the thermostat thing i could maybe see

but you are DEFINITELY in the right in askign it to run, thats odd that someone was put off by that?:confused2:

Assuming the guy wasn't trying to hide a flaw in the bike by not wanting to start it or install a thermostat, I'd say it has been well taken care of. Being that anal about it I would guess the bike has been pampered and probably well taken care of. Still no excuse for not wanting to let you hear it run though.

He also is annoyed that when I went to see the bike that I "talked him in to starting it" against his better judgement. It was in the low 40's and he doesnt normally ride when its that cold. He then was forced to ride it because he never just starts his bikes and shuts them off. Says it is too much wear and tear on the motor over years. He was extremely annoyed to say the least. Is it me?
Up until that, everything was fine. He is extremely over the top but no problems until that in our conversations.

I would not even consider buying any bike or anything before I tested it, That is strange that the seller would be put out by this, unless he has something to hide:confused2:.
The thermostat issue would not be a show stopper, but starting, testing and all the above to include completing a compression test would not be out of the question.
Just my .03 cents.

He really didnt even want me to ride it before buying it. We agreed that I would give him cash first to test ride it and he was ok with that. He didnt see the reason to hear it run unless I was buying then and there. Said we could have done that the same day instead of him having to start it against his normal practices. I drove over 45 minutes so I was shocked that was a problem.

That's an awesome bike. You were within your rights to expect to hear it run and even ride it, especially if you had the cash laid out. Don't let a personality conflict with the quirky seller keep you from buying this Max. The absent thermostat can't be that big of a deal.

Actually this guys sudden attitude problem may be a deal breaker. I dont know that I want to go and listen to his bullshit again. Big friggin deal, so you had to take the bike out and start it up. I dont get people sometimes.

Actually this guys sudden attitude problem may be a deal breaker. I dont know that I want to go and listen to his bullshit again. Big friggin deal, so you had to take the bike out and start it up. I dont get people sometimes.

I agree. If I was keen to sell something to a keen buyer I would bend backwards to help out.
Circumstances like that I'd usually tell them to go shove it as I have "options" elseware.

Question is are all those custom parts and higher miles worth more to you than a bike with less bling and lower miles and has a t stat and runs good with one.

Personally i would go out and spend 5500.00 on a vmax with half the miles

Besides, the guys being a jerk, forget him

He might be buyer shopping as well.

When I sold my Thunderbird I had a few perspective buyers and other ppl that made offers. I acted like an ass to some of them in an attempt to weed out the tire kickers.

I wanted the car to go to someone that would take care of it and not run it into the ground. Finally it went to a collector who has several 50's era vehicles.

Just a thought.

Actually, I posted a wanted listing for a custom Vmax and he contacted me and told me his firm price. I went and saw the bike ASAP and the next day I talked to him and said I was going to come up in 2 days, ride and then buy it. Later that day he called because I asked him if he could put the t-stat back in before I picked it up and thats when he started bitching and moaning about everything else.

isn't rusty's bike have like 120k and he's had to do minimal maintenance (considering the mileage)?

Are you talking about my bike?:ummm:

Mines got 41,000 in it and it's never had any engine stuff except carb rebuilds, clutches and oil changes. It's 14,000 overdue for a valve clearnce check/set.

It has over 100 passes at the drag strip.....

Lankey just has a special talent for wringing that last little bit out of them that I don't, that's maybe why my engine has lasted??:ummm:

Rusty

Are you talking about my bike?:ummm:

Mines got 41,000 in it and it's never had any engine stuff except carb rebuilds, clutches and oil changes. It's 14,000 overdue for a valve clearnce check/set.

It has over 100 passes at the drag strip.....

Lankey just has a special talent for wringing that last little bit out of them that I don't, that's maybe why my engine has lasted??:ummm:

Rusty

def wasn't u then man... i thought there was someone on the forum that had 120k on their vmax with really just normal maintenance on it...

EDIT: found it.. bill seward.. sorry rusty!

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5999

Actually, I posted a wanted listing for a custom Vmax and he contacted me and told me his firm price. I went and saw the bike ASAP and the next day I talked to him and said I was going to come up in 2 days, ride and then buy it. Later that day he called because I asked him if he could put the t-stat back in before I picked it up and thats when he started bitching and moaning about everything else.

This guy sounds to me like one of those anal folks who think, just because they're trying to sell something, they still maintain total control over the situation. Not necessarily a bad thing, prolly indicates he's really taken care of the bike, but a PITA to deal with.
Or, as KJ said, he's buyer shopping.
Either way you should be able to iron everything out over the phone so you aren't blindsided again. Actually, I see the guy's jerkyness as a plus as far as the bike's condition goes.
If you still want the bike, it might be worth giving the guy one more try.

I would think that maybe about 7-8,500 would be a good offer .
It`s not that old and those extras aren`t cheap either `cause iv`e looked them up .
I`m thinking about doing that to my Max but I would like V-Gas system also.
To purchase and install them all yourself is almost another $5,000.00.
All I can say is gooooood luck and I hope you get it :banana:

Personally, I would shop something with lower miles. Considering his attitude change, tell him you don't want it. If he comes back apologizing make a lower offer. If he bitches tell him to shove it. It's your cash!

In the last picture the guy that is sitting on the bike has grey pants with a black stripe that looks like part of a law enforcement officer uniform. If the guy is a cop it would explain why he is an anal retentive asshat.

Thats me on the bike and Im not a cop (lol). I never called him back after our last conversation. Too much drama. Dont have time for that bullshit. He can keep it. I never heard of anyone that didnt want to start a bike up when someone wants to buy it. Strange.

Thats me on the bike and Im not a cop (lol). I never called him back after our last conversation. Too much drama. Dont have time for that bullshit. He can keep it. I never heard of anyone that didnt want to start a bike up when someone wants to buy it. Strange.
HEY CHEETAH , IF YOUR NOT A " COP " , ARE YOU GOING POSTAL ? " LOL "...:rofl_200:

Back