Opinions needed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxcruiser

Reaction score
Been considering changing the look of my 06 Vmax. Never been a fan of the ghost flames on the air box cover.

Looking at either painting the bodywork a blood red or buying a complete carbon fiber body package from Tyga Performance.

Looking for opinions of one look over the other and also if any body has any experience with the Tyga carbon fiber parts (quality/finish/fit)

Cost of painting versus buying the carbon fiber is about the same price. The benefit of buying the carbon fiber bodywork is that I get to keep my original 06 bodywork.

Mike

I have a Tyga carbon fiber faux tank. It is very well finished in a visual sense, the carbon fiber is smoothly laid and the resin is polished to a nice shine.

The downside is that you'll have to do some work getting it to fit on your bike. Mine had the tank latch holes drilled in the wrong spot and I needed to redrill them. The rubber gasket that attaches around the gauge pod was way off as well. I had to mic the stock tank and file down the reveal on the Tyga to match in order for the gasket to attach in the right place.

Slight pain in the ass to install, but it looks real good once you get there. Oh, and one final thing. The Tyga carbon fiber is kind of dark in comparison to some you may have seen before. From 20' away it isn't apparent that it is CF at all. It's almost like there is a translucent black glaze over the fiber. I like the subtlety myself.

I have a Tyga carbon fiber faux tank. It is very well finished in a visual sense, the carbon fiber is smoothly laid and the resin is polished to a nice shine.

The downside is that you'll have to do some work getting it to fit on your bike. Mine had the tank latch holes drilled in the wrong spot and I needed to redrill them. The rubber gasket that attaches around the gauge pod was way off as well. I had to mic the stock tank and file down the reveal on the Tyga to match in order for the gasket to attach in the right place.

Slight pain in the ass to install, but it looks real good once you get there. Oh, and one final thing. The Tyga carbon fiber is kind of dark in comparison to some you may have seen before. From 20' away it isn't apparent that it is CF at all. It's almost like there is a translucent black glaze over the fiber. I like the subtlety myself.

Thanks for the info.

I am actually happy to hear that is kind of dark. I already have some carbon fiber gen2 style scoops and they are also on the dark side, so hopefully they would match up closely.

Mike

It is sucky that the '06 (and '07 for that matter) is a huge decal under massive clear... BUT!
I learned to live with and build on the red accent of the ghost flames.
I have applied subtle hits of red about the bike with the remainder of the bike supporting it with monotone black grey chrome non-dolors.
I totally think the black powder rims with factory redline rocks. I've had many many compliments on them for bike and car enthusiasts.
I have a Hindle CF 18' old spigot style and it is NICE. It's slowly turning greenish yellow from the heat.

I totally think the black powder rims with factory redline rocks. I've had many many compliments on them for bike and car enthusiasts.
I have a Hindle CF 18' old spigot style and it is NICE. It's slowly turning greenish yellow from the heat.

I just ordered the exact same exhaust from Sean Morley. It's taking FOREVER because I insisted on the old spigot style:biglaugh:

It is sucky that the '06 (and '07 for that matter) is a huge decal under massive clear... BUT!
I learned to live with and build on the red accent of the ghost flames.
I have applied subtle hits of red about the bike with the remainder of the bike supporting it with monotone black grey chrome non-dolors.

Here is my bike, and I added some red to bring things out.

Attachments

• user8061_pic8978_1396283860.jpg
    user8061_pic8978_1396283860.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 38
I have also added some red accents, but still think that it is time for a change. The red accents will stay though.

Attachments

• user978_pic9118_1400468970.jpg
    user978_pic9118_1400468970.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 36
I won't be able to help you Mike.....I always thought the '06 - '07's were the best paint scheme of any VMax ever made! :in love:

You dig racing stripes ?

Attachments

• VMax Custom With Racing Stripes   5.jpg
    VMax Custom With Racing Stripes 5.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 23
  • VMax Custom With Racing Stripes   8.jpg
    VMax Custom With Racing Stripes 8.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 23
  • VMax Custom With Racing Stripes   7.jpg
    VMax Custom With Racing Stripes 7.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 23
  • VMax Custom With Racing Stripes   6.jpg
    VMax Custom With Racing Stripes 6.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 25
I'd keep the Stock body parts (if they are in perfect shape) and just buy some cheap beat up body parts and paint them any way you want.

"I'd keep the Stock body parts (if they are in perfect shape) and just buy some cheap beat up body parts and paint them any way you want."

$11 Total--$7 for the glossy black-$3 for the silver metal flake-$1 for the masking tape. I like stripes too but I like them to come together at 1 end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4J08PjjH4Q

The three colored parts, F/R fenders, and the faux tank cover, are easily acquired for painting whatever your taste runs-to. Since you're painting them they don't need to be perfect, as you'll be re-working them to fit whatever scheme you choose. And with a bit of planning, you may find that you can use different colors on another set of fenders, and keep the same tank cover, and emerge with a very different-in-appearance ride. One set a bright color, and the other set glossy black, or a matte black stripe w/some other background color, that you may have in the tank cover.

The day I got my VMAX, I stripped all that stuff off. Tank, fenders, side covers, reflectors, mirrors, wind screen. Running her naked now.

Here's the red version we did (and a black version for comparison)

Attachments

• IMG_0223.jpg
    IMG_0223.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Black - Red Body Set.jpg
    Black - Red Body Set.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 27
I'd keep the Stock body parts (if they are in perfect shape) and just buy some cheap beat up body parts and paint them any way you want.

+1, keep or sell the OEM set and buy another set on the cheap to repaint....be a shame to paint over a good 05-07 set.

Thanks again for all the opinions.

I have looked on ebay for replacement fenders and air box covers, but with the current us/cdn dollar exchange, the prices increase quickly. Exchange is between $.35/$.40 to the us dollar.

My pieces are in decent condition, but not perfect after being on the bike for 9 years.

MY preference would be red carbon fiber paint effect on the fenders, air box cover, cybermax headlight and the rest in regular carbon fiber - sccops, side covers, mufflers and other little bits.

Unfortunately, the closest place that I have found to do Hydrographics is in Toronto, nothing local.

Mike

Something like this (though this is probably a darker red then you want). We can get about anything done with the hydro stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_5333.jpg
    IMG_5333.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 34

Latest posts

Back