Right Scoop Key Protection

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
Seems that most of the VMax's I see have no scoop protection from keys. If you use only one key, you don't need something like this. I've got 4 keys on my bike key ring. I've got 3 sets of scoops here , My 94 already has this done to it. So, I did the right scoop of the set I got from CaptainKyle. They're going on my 89. I've got some rubber mat that I bought a huge roll of years ago ( Pic 1).

I cut sort of a half moon using a Baby Wipe Lid as a marking guide. Then I laid the cut rubber piece on the scoop to cut some contours and rounded the edges. When that was done, I smoothed the edges of the piece with 320 sand paper (Pic 2).

Black RTV to the back of the rubber and lay it in place. I cut the rubber from the side that it would follow the curve of the scoop when in place. I put blue tape on to suggest a means of holding it in place if needed (Pic 3). The last picture is the finished key protector. Better than having scratches showing.

Spec

Attachments

• X Roll of Mat.jpg
    X Roll of Mat.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 59
  • X Cut Mat.jpg
    X Cut Mat.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 57
  • X Taped Mat.jpg
    X Taped Mat.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 66
  • X Finished Key Protection.jpg
    X Finished Key Protection.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 104
That bothered me too since 1986 so I found a self adhesive clear plastic found at office supply places. This material had no give and would stick flat initially but lift later causing a hump which atracted dirt instantly. Then I found the film at auto body supply to protect lower wheelwell areas that conformed and stuck like crazy. You have one chance to align it because there was no lifting it back up to realign as it would stretch/distort the shape. Now I have a textured Powdercoat that resists scratching and hides too. Anyone try cell phone screen saver material? Might be cost prohibitive.

Seems a lot easier to me to just leave the vmax key off the key ring :confused2: If you can't do that than buy one of those quick detach key rings.....

Just sayin'. Seems like a lot of trouble to go through when its very easily avoided. Plus, its a lot easier on the ignition as you don't have the weight of extra keys flopping around when your hitting vboost. It will wear out the ignition faster that way in my opinion. If you ever read an owners manual for some heavy equipment it actually states that you should have only one key in the ignition, not a set of keys in there because all the bouncing around with the extra weight tends to wear it out faster.

Good ideas though on how to protect the scoops

Well heck, I just use the single key with a O loop that has a plastc oval logo on it from a bike shop. Never had an issue on any of my bikes since 1998. I have chromed scoops too and not one scratch.

Good job!

I never run anything but a key. Hell... Half the time I get 100 feet away and realize I've left it in the bike. lol

For that reason, I have a big red flag as the only thing on my keyring. It's a miniature version of those missile safety pin flags on fighter jets that says REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT. I haven't had any issues with it scratching the scoop, didn't really have any with the generic Yamaha dealer fob that was originally there. My scoops are chromed also, which I think would scratch easier than the stock brushed too.

Guess it should be the opposite, should read "insert before flight" if it's the key, haha. Maybe "remove before noshing" or something.

For some reason I can never carry just a single key. To me it's too small, too easy to lose, it bothers me on some level. All the keys for my toys have a single fob or something. A tuning fork logo on my sled, the flag on the bike, seadoo has a bright yellow dess tether, and an orange monkey on my truck and door keys.

I've always used a detachable key ring on the Max, with the smallest bit attached to the ignition key. No issues whatsoever this way :)

For those of with more than one key on our bike key ring, it was a good idea.:confused2:
I have 3 bike keys, a door key and a clasp to hook onto the many other keys I carry.

That bothered me too since 1986 so I found a self adhesive clear plastic found at office supply places. This material had no give and would stick flat initially but lift later causing a hump which atracted dirt instantly. Then I found the film at auto body supply to protect lower wheelwell areas that conformed and stuck like crazy. You have one chance to align it because there was no lifting it back up to realign as it would stretch/distort the shape. Now I have a textured Powdercoat that resists scratching and hides too. Anyone try cell phone screen saver material? Might be cost prohibitive.

3M paint protection! it is like "ClearBra" for cars but better! 3M came out with this stuff in the 60's for the leading edges of rotor blades for Helecopters! stuff is amazing! My wife is a dealer for this stuff we have used it for everything cell phones, Ipods, Laptop lids , on our refrigerator where the water dispences for the hard water stains. what is really cool about this stuff is, if it gets scratches in it. take some regular rubbing alchol and put it on it for about 20 seconds then wipe it off. The scratches are removed , almost like self healing. It is way better than any other paint protection on the market hands down. I am glad that you had brought the issue up about the scratching of the keys! My bike is still in the works of going back together and I have chrome scoops. If I have time maybe I can have a few little patches cut out that would protect the scoops. But I am away for several months now and won't get to it for awhile.

Gannon

Back