VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot out a mist? I've not heard of carbs spraying fuel so that it is visible. Did the pop you hear also show fire or spark? You should be able to fix that by rebuilding the carbs. I wonder is gasket issues can cause that. Sounds like a mechanic is the best coarse of action. The carbs can't be responsible for the oil issue with what little I know so I'd say two issues. The plug doesn't look bad if they are old plugs. Did the previous owner mention anything that might lend a clue to the problems?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Yeah the little pop was fire. Got the bike at a dealership so I don't know the previous owner. The owners manual details all maintenance done up until 13k miles, I got it at 14.5k. Currently at 15.5k have scheduled maintenance to do @16k.

got another oil question. what type/weight of oil should i run living in satans personal paradise? it regularly get to 115 F and sometimes over 120 F here with the road surface clocking in at 160 F to 180 F. Hell, it'll still be over 90 F after midnight. I saw that a lot of members here are using or like the Rotella T6 5w40 and it was going to be my choice for her next oil change until i saw it was given the thumbs up by some VMax owners in a MUCH cooler climate. With AZ summer right around the corner i would like to put in some oil that will be suitable for my climate. Any suggestions?

Any word from the dealership on what they found with your bike? Which dealer is it at? I run Rotella 15w40 in mine, I read somewhere that the "c" rated oils have a higher sheer factor which is supposed to be a good thing with the wet clutch setup. not sure how much truth there is to that, I also run it because I can get it for free at work :biglaugh:

my mechanic, Mike at Arizona Motorcycle Services on Broadway told me to let it cool off and check the oil again, he was right, oil level is full. Free is good, might have to swing by Berge :p as far as the carbs, im gonna have him take a look on wednesday.

Yeah the little pop was fire. Got the bike at a dealership so I don't know the previous owner. The owners manual details all maintenance done up until 13k miles, I got it at 14.5k. Currently at 15.5k have scheduled maintenance to do @16k.

Just had my 16k service a month ago.

my mechanic, Mike at Arizona Motorcycle Services on Broadway told me to let it cool off and check the oil again, he was right, oil level is full. Free is good, might have to swing by Berge :p as far as the carbs, im gonna have him take a look on wednesday.

Nice, no oil leak after all. Did he have any advice for your carbs? Hopefully just taking them apart enough to clean them and putting them back again is enough. The tightening of certain parts might stop the spray. There was a nice link in another thread on the process. They called it the shotgun. I think you can find it in the Carb section I think.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Yesterday 10:31 PMmagna_dude74
Ok, so I just got done changing the oil and notice some metal flakes in the oil, this has me concerned! I always check my oil either through a white cloth or smear thin film across light colored background. This time I saw what I consider to be excessive flakes, almost like someone put glitter in my oil. Last summer I remember hearing some kind of grind when I hit the starter. What are your guys thoughts? I am using Rotella-T synthetic

got another oil question. what type/weight of oil should i run living in satans personal paradise? it regularly get to 115 F and sometimes over 120 F here with the road surface clocking in at 160 F to 180 F. Hell, it'll still be over 90 F after midnight. I saw that a lot of members here are using or like the Rotella T6 5w40 and it was going to be my choice for her next oil change until i saw it was given the thumbs up by some VMax owners in a MUCH cooler climate. With AZ summer right around the corner i would like to put in some oil that will be suitable for my climate. Any suggestions?

20W50 4-Stroke motorcycle oil .

I lived in Alaska for 8 years and saw firsthand destroyed automobile engines because they ran normal oil. We did a test at work and used every single fluid we could get our hands on. every brand every type, engine, power steering, transmission, brake, rear end, etc. We put the fluids in small vials and put them outside normally -40 F then brought them in side and flipped the bottles over to see which ones moved. The only ones that moved were the synthetics. Every since in every vehicle I've only used synthetics. Plus I run them at least 6000 miles before changes. On the max I am still going the distance but changing the oil filter at 3000 miles. Plus it depends on what your doing with your bike. Dragging I've heard will trash your clutch with synthetics, it makes sense since there is more lube to keep the clutch from engaging properly. I would say for normal cruising without the mach 90 routine. I just think the engine will last longer. But as with all things it is personal choice.

Just let it drip while warm, and remove the oil filter. You'll never get it all out short of splitting the cases or setting it on fire! :biglaugh:

i think i'm finally gonna switch from yamalube to dino rotella. did the labelling change? i attached two pics, old/new labels, same stuff right?

Attachments

• rotellat_15w40_oil.JPG
    rotellat_15w40_oil.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 8020590_sll_5073637_pri_larg.jpg
    8020590_sll_5073637_pri_larg.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 24
Here's what the Gallon I just used looked like:

Attachments

• Shell_Rotella_T_Front_1.jpg
    Shell_Rotella_T_Front_1.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 30