Tools I'll need

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DO YOURSELF A FAVOR & GET AN INCH LB. TORQUE WRENCH ! A LOT OF THE TORQUE SPECS. ARE IN REAL LOW FOOT LBS. FOR EXAMPLE ; THE OIL PAN BOLT TORQUE SPEC. IS 7.2 FT. LBS. I HAVE OVER $30,000.00 INVESTED IN TOOLS AND DO NOT HAVE A FT. LB. TORQUE WRENCH THAT GOES THAT LOW , SO YOU MULTIPLY 7.2 FT. LBS. X 12. INCH LBS. = 86.4 INCH LBS. SO TIGHTEN THEM TO 86 INCH LBS. & YOUR " GOOD TO GO " !:punk:

I wanted to ask you a question to make sure I understand this whole torque wrench thing. Are you saying to get a inch Lb because it will handle any torque that needs to be done on the VMAX or do I need a inch lb and a feet lb ??

I wanted to ask you a question to make sure I understand this whole torque wrench thing. Are you saying to get a inch Lb because it will handle any torque that needs to be done on the VMAX or do I need a inch lb and a feet lb ??

I think you need both. I have three.
I bought them at www.princessauto.com
Item# 2922045 - 1/4 drive 20 to 200 in-lb
# 8086571 - 3/8 drive 120 to 960 in-lb
# 2919389 - 1/2 drive 20 to 150 ft-lb
Watch there flyers on the web they put on for half price all the time.
Bought all mine for under a 100 bucks. They are great quality, and come with the storage case.
There moto No Sale is Final until you're Satisfied!
This is a great store you NEED to check this place out.
They will ship to you as well.

I think you need both. I have three.
I bought them at www.princessauto.com
Item# 2922045 - 1/4 drive 20 to 200 in-lb
# 8086571 - 3/8 drive 120 to 960 in-lb
# 2919389 - 1/2 drive 20 to 150 ft-lb
Watch there flyers on the web they put on for half price all the time.
Bought all mine for under a 100 bucks. They are great quality, and come with the storage case.
There moto No Sale is Final until you're Satisfied!
This is a great store you NEED to check this place out.
They will ship to you as well.

The 1/2 drive is on sale now!

OK here's another thought - don't use regular Phillips head screwdrivers - use JIS ( Japanese Industrial Standard ) Phillips screwdrivers. They fit tighter - less chance of slipping/stripping.

Don't we all have many phillips screwdrivers of all 3 standard sizes? Seems they accumulate in the tool box. Here is a way to get use out of the extras.

The way to get around the slight fitment problem between US and JIS phillips is I put the tip of a US phillips to a grinder and grind a little then check the fit on a JIS screw. Do that a little at a time until it fits properly. The US tips are a little longer and won't fit tight until you grind them down. Just be careful and don't grind down too much. I then put a piece of tape or paint a stripe on the modded ones so I can grab the right one when working on Japanese screws. Another tightwad tip.....

1 ft lb = 12 in lbs

The in lb wrench is for accuracy in the low ft lb range

I went to Sears today and asked for a INCH LB. TORQUE WRENCH and they looked at me like I was talking greek, there was only a girl who knew nothing just a cashier, a old guy who said at his age he doesn't remember much...that's a quote.........lol

I called the store 75 miles away and got the same kind of answers. The difference between them and me is I admit to not knowing about torque wrenches..

I would appreciate if any of you could tell me which torque wrench that they carry is the one I need for INCH LB.

I'll even give you the direct link to the torque wrenches at Sears

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?keyword=torque+wrench

Thanks

Ron

Craftsman Microtork 25-250 in./lbs. 3/8 in. drive
Item# 00944593000 Model# 44593
$79.99

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00944593000P?keyword=torque+wrench

Thanks,
I just ordered a in lb and ft lb from craftsman and will pick them up tonight...
The in lb is 25 to 250 in. lbs. the ft lb is 20 to 150 ft. lbs.

I hope those will work for me, on sale for craftsman members for $59.99 each

Ron

Thanks,
I just ordered a in lb and ft lb from craftsman and will pick them up tonight...
The in lb is 25 to 250 in. lbs. the ft lb is 20 to 150 ft. lbs.

I hope those will work for me, on sale for craftsman members for $59.99 each

Ron

After using these make sure to set to zero before storing. (IMPORTANT)
Grant

Just picked up a 27mm open end and box end and 27mm socket, I should have everything else. Now I just have to figure out a good lighting source for my garage that I can hang when working on the bike, I guess a few shop lights will do.

I think I have everything I need and the rest is learning.

Ron

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03473942000P?keyword=shop+light

I have one of these hanging in the center of my garage plugged into the same plug as my garage door opener. With a 100Watt replacement daylight florescent bulb. It is perfect. Reaches anywhere in the garage I need more light. Also since it is a florescent bulb it doesn't get hot enough to burn you if you bump it with the back of your hand or top of you head in tight spaces. Also has a plug to double as a power source when needed.

I have one of those too on a retractable reel but I want alot of light when I am working on my bike so I will end up putting a few shop lights in there.

Thanks

Ron

An even more important note:

Most torque wrenches are built to NOT set it to Zero!!!! Make sure you read your directions and or look at the wrench type. Some will have a warning to stop at approx 10% of the max rating.

Sean

One tool I haven't seen is a digital caliper. You can get for under $15 at Harbor Freight. Great for setting dry float levels.

One tool I haven't seen is a digital caliper. You can get for under $15 at Harbor Freight. Great for setting dry float levels.
+1 for that.

I have some experience with all kind of mesuring tools.
And i can tell you that you may get clock caliper with the same price.
Its then times more better then digital one, more acurate.
Most of the digital ones are very flexible and you can worp them with not much force using.

I would recommend to buy this one:
img4390by0.jpg

On both my craftsman torque wrenches it say to keep it under 25% of capcity when not in use.

Back