What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made the hard decision to scrap the restoration project on this '85 today... Simply too far gone and the cost of the restoration from my humble estimate will put me close to double what it would cost me to simply buy a good running one and use this one for parts. Too bad as I had my hopes up but such is life. The poor monkey on this bikes back is starving to death.

So Im starting my search on Monday for another one and this one goes back in another container until I need something from it.

damn...

Well atleast you have some spare parts when you need them.

I paid for mine when he did my current engine ('02), he does amazing work! He kept me abreast of all the work being done with photos and emails. His shop is sooo organized which fits in just part of his garage leaving the rest to be a normal garage. This is where he did his videos as well. I need to get down to see him more often, he is a great guy and has so much mechanical skill you feel more knowledgeable after even a brief discussion. I had the same feeling after the short discussions I had with Sean.

Well atleast you have some spare parts when you need them.

Yeah there are a lot of good parts on the bike. But the bad that I have found so far are...

1. wiring harness shot (mice)
2. Tank had fuel that rotted to complete paste
3. Fuel pump shot from bad gas ( no workie )
4. Carbs are shot bad gas and stuck BAD
5. 2nd Gear
6. seat shot
7. bent exhaust valve
8. ashy and pitted aluminum ( not everywhere but enough )
9. battery rotted and dumped acid ( No telling what it damaged )
10. mud wasps nests in the carbs and exhaust pipes.
and on and on Im sure, these are the big things that I know about now. No telling what else is wrong.

I only paid 500 for it but thinking that it had low miles some things could be overlooked. I planned and figured around 2 grand for a nice resto not perfect but nice enough to have it on the road. Unfortunately that was not the case. I knew what I was getting into but I was not told about the trans issue or the valve problem.

The moral my friends, if it is too good a deal to pass up then there is all the more reason to pass it up...

Took the winter cover off and installed new Morley swing arm spools! Checked tire manufacturing dates and think they have another year yet.uploadfromtaptalk1426367194980.jpg

Well, yesterday I hooked the battery to the battery tender (just got it) and charged the battery up. I got the bike out of my basement. I store it there in the winter, it's got a walk out door thing, so it's not too bad.

Today, I drained the old gas, and was pleasantly surprised how easy that is to do. I also did a full oil change (filter too).

I spent last night trying to research which oil to use, with the whole 20w40 deal... I ended up going with 15w40 rotella.

Then, the best thing was, I got to go on about a 40 mile ride! It's finally thawed here. It's still chilly but it's riding weather for sure now!

Turned the key on to check my brake light activation for front n rear brakes after putting some things back together and NOTHING! Bikes only been off the charger for 2wks so i could cycle the other batteries and now myShorai is done for... only wiring change was adding the headlight relay from Eastern Beaver. Somethings not right here... and i did check all my wiring that had been unplugged during my winter maintenance, everythings good. So pissed right now....

Changed my footpegs. I had bought these some time ago but they didnt fit. So finally got around to cutting the excess aluminum off with a hacksaw. About 20 minute job for each peg. Drops foot about 1" lower. But still have issues reaching the brake pedal as it moves your foot out about 1/2 inch.

Attachments

• 71ATct2tV2L._SL1500_.jpg
    71ATct2tV2L._SL1500_.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 20
fought with my UFO exhaust. I bought a meaphone to put on the 4-1 drag, to help my bleeding right ear going down the road. Ends up the part that goes over the collector pipe is about 1 1/2" too short to slide on to where it will let me bolt it to the frame..... I will either cut it about a half an inch or grind/ sand down the inside of the pipe...Still need to order the jet kit...Oh and I let my 4 month old grandson sit on bike while I started it. The noise didn't bother him too much.. I know he loves Grandpapa and his toys...lol

Many thanks to Sean at Morley's for new shocks, new grips and new bar end mirrors......Great communication and great service from Sean.

Now if the effing snow would stop.......and melt.......and if the mogul frost heaves would settle down.......and.....sigh....

Ordered a new Shorai battery to replace my blown one. Starting to think i cause a cell to crap out in it when i hooked up the headlight relay.

Yeah there are a lot of good parts on the bike. But the bad that I have found so far are...

1. wiring harness shot (mice)
2. Tank had fuel that rotted to complete paste
3. Fuel pump shot from bad gas ( no workie )
4. Carbs are shot bad gas and stuck BAD
5. 2nd Gear
6. seat shot
7. bent exhaust valve
8. ashy and pitted aluminum ( not everywhere but enough )
9. battery rotted and dumped acid ( No telling what it damaged )
10. mud wasps nests in the carbs and exhaust pipes.
and on and on Im sure, these are the big things that I know about now. No telling what else is wrong.

I only paid 500 for it but thinking that it had low miles some things could be overlooked. I planned and figured around 2 grand for a nice resto not perfect but nice enough to have it on the road. Unfortunately that was not the case. I knew what I was getting into but I was not told about the trans issue or the valve problem.

The moral my friends, if it is too good a deal to pass up then there is all the more reason to pass it up...
Hey dont feel bad, i was given a free 85 last year,it was from a fella in Anchorage who sold me his brothers wrecked 93 Goldwing, which i just spent the winter rebuilding.
But the Vmax has a broken oil filter boss, a broken crankshaft, its actually all there, bad corrosion on it, was under a tarp for 15 years, stole a few parts off it for my other Vmax, which i am taking out of the house for the first time since last october. Maybe just maybe the last bit of snow will be off my subdivision in the next couple of days so i can ride it.
I really would like to get #199 restored, its a low Vin bike.

Took bike out, Yesterday 72 miles and today 112 miles. ran around checking on a few jobs. So nice to be out on the bike... pictures yesterday and today.

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Picture 023.jpg
    Picture 023.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 33
Had my running 85 in the kitchen all winter, all the outside sheds were full, took it out through the front door, still several inches if packed snow on the ground outside and on through the subdivision so riding was out of the question, but i ran engine engine up to when the fan kicks in and shut bike down , restarted flawlessly three times doing that. And this is after i just cleaned up my stock 2 pole starter, i modded the brush plate with a solder job on the tangs that i filed flat to improve the ground, and installed a separate 6 gauge cable from one mount bolt to the negative terminal of the pc680 battery.
It was 52f outside, bright blue sky, but still too much snow between me and the highway, plus i found out i am way too far out of shape, almost collapsed just pushing bike around in the slush, i have been off season layed off since oct.

Fed the monkey some more.
Almost ready to ride.

Attachments

• tmp_1266-20150317_233047-542232449.jpg
    tmp_1266-20150317_233047-542232449.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 28
  • tmp_1266-20150317_233102-1605363059.jpg
    tmp_1266-20150317_233102-1605363059.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 26
Started cleaning a little on the 85 a little. I cleaned the back wheel and the fins up some. I am ordering engine paint tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20150318_191033.jpg
    20150318_191033.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20150318_183931.jpg
    20150318_183931.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 23
Changed the steering head bearings, they were screwed down tight as the bearings were shot. Now she handles so well, thinking I dont need to do the radial wheel change.

Took my 85' for a 45 mile ride up thru Burkittsville Md (blairwitch ) thru gapland state park little chilly but just had to go vdot just graded our mud road and added gravel at least it was dry we're expecting wet weather Friday so road will be mush again ..

Latest posts

Back