What have I done!!!?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piercew

Reaction score
The patron saint of fools blessed me with all the things I needed yesterday to make a deal. Unseasonably warm weather(20F), a (mostly) snow and ice free street, owner whose wife wanted the bike GONE, and most of all someone foolish enough to go for a test ride in the above conditions. My first ride with Mr Max resulted in a mild case of windburn and a smile so large that i think it wrapped all the way around my head. My wife was with me; I think she rolled her eyes so hard that she saw down her own throat. I am the new owner of a 2003 VMax with 12,000 miles, stage 7 carb kit(vboost intact), HMF exhaust, and numerous other goodies.

The rear rotor is shot, the fronts look okay but I haven't mic'd them yet; new pads all the way around regardless. I asked the seller when the last time the carbs had been sync'd; looked at me like I asked him the last time it was on the moon. I was planning on that no matter who I got it from. Carbs are a little dirty; hoping I can get away with a light cleaning and resync. I promised myself that I was going to just get it in good running order and just enjoy the riding season as is; but the mod monkey is poking at me hard already...must...resist. What have I gotten myself into?
71577_10203387248228488_439224173_n.jpg

You've got yourself into a nice looking bike, that's what you've done! Congrats!
You have also found your way to the best damn place on the web for anything to do with a Vmax. We'll help you fix it, mod it, and we'll even ride with you too!
So, as you may have realized by your last sentence, yes, you have fallen in the proverbial monkey barrel!
Welcome to our obsession!:punk:

Congrats on the bike and welcome to the forum! :punk:

Don't get too concerned about the monkey....the Michigan ones are pretty easy to bring down, quick tho so you gotta lead 'em a little more! :biglaugh:

Good looking bike, what'ya give for it? We'll let you know if it was a "deal" or not. LOL!!!!!! Good luck with the mod monkey, it's gets us all eventually!!!!! :biglaugh:

Nice looking motorcicle. 20 degrees.......brrrrr.

Good looking bike, what'ya give for it? We'll let you know if it was a "deal" or not. LOL!!!!!! Good luck with the mod monkey, it's gets us all eventually!!!!! :biglaugh:

We settled on $4000 which included 2 full sets of luggage(tourmaster leather dual touring set and a firstgear silverstone solo touring set), most of the original parts except the exhaust, all extra pieces for the stage 7, 5 oil filters, set of spark plugs, and a box full of generic maintenance parts that either go to this bike or a dirtbike he sold last year. I'm telling myself that I paid 3000 for the bike and 1000 for the extra bits and pieces, most of which I would have needed eventually. I probably paid too much, but it seems like a clean gen 1 is a hard find around here. The paint job is a repaint; its about a 1 or 2 footer, you have to be right on top of it to spot the problems.

Sweet ride. As far as paint, no one cares at 120 mph !
Don't know if you hit the "boost" yet but you'll love it.
This Forum will be your most valuable tool.
Great bunch of guys here.

We settled on $4000 which included 2 full sets of luggage(tourmaster leather dual touring set and a firstgear silverstone solo touring set), most of the original parts except the exhaust, all extra pieces for the stage 7, 5 oil filters, set of spark plugs, and a box full of generic maintenance parts that either go to this bike or a dirtbike he sold last year. I'm telling myself that I paid 3000 for the bike and 1000 for the extra bits and pieces, most of which I would have needed eventually. I probably paid too much, but it seems like a clean gen 1 is a hard find around here. The paint job is a repaint; its about a 1 or 2 footer, you have to be right on top of it to spot the problems.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

What's wrong with the rear rotor? Rarely do they go bad. Many mistake the expansion joints for cracks.

Ya about that fabled monkey... it lives on this damn forum. I was a happy, well adjusted vmax owner before I stumbled across this site. Now my rims cost more then I paid for the bike.

Welcome leave your wallet at the door, practice these words, "But honey, I need (insert item here) because it makes the bike safer!" This is true, I maintain, up to but perhaps not including nitrous...

Back