Yada, Yada, Yada....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m-cman

Alien Abductee
Reaction score
Ok, I will probably get blasted for this but has anyone else noticed a large portion of new posts are about items already covered hundreds of times and have multiple stickies about them????

Maybe the first thing new members should do is learn how to do a search.... A lot of wasted time for all concerned. :bang head:

Plus occasionally bad advice is offered that contradicts the stickies and someone has to correct that advice...

Ok, fire away.... :biglaugh:

It's pretty standard on every forum. However on some forums, the person who asks the question gets attacked by the forum members and basically chased off the board.

Yea C-man, your right, every question asked can usually found by the search button and answered many times over. Sometimes just typing out a procedure helps me to remember how it's done so here I go typing away and the question is right there with the search button. Some just like to be spoon fed and who knows after you spoon feed a member he might just find the donate button and help the forun keep on running at full capacity. I'm sure the new server Buster had to purchase wasn't cheap, so maybe some of these new members will throw the dog a bone for all this wisdom the forum has to offer and support our vendors who also help keep the lights on.......

Not blasting, but its best to have some patience. We were all noobs at one time, and a lot of the people are interested in getting their question answered before knowing that the same question has been asked and answered previously!

I know when I came onto this forum I had very limited time on any forum. I had only been on one previously. I didn't know what a thread or a sticky was. Didn't even know there was such a thing as a "search". You don't really know where a guy is coming from. I think guys are also looking for some up to date confirmation on what they've read, or are about to do. I'm somewhat mechanical, but without this forum, and questioned answered, I wouldn't have even entertained the though of doing the starter clutch, o-ring fix or pulling the clutch apart, etc. This forum and the members rock :punk:

A lot of it is repeat but you never know....a member may have a different, useful answer.

I know when I came onto this forum I had very limited time on any forum. I had only been on one previously. I didn't know what a thread or a sticky was. Didn't even know there was such a thing as a "search". You don't really know where a guy is coming from. I think guys are also looking for some up to date confirmation on what they've read, or are about to do. I'm somewhat mechanical, but without this forum, and questioned answered, I wouldn't have even entertained the though of doing the starter clutch, o-ring fix or pulling the clutch apart, etc. This forum and the members rock :punk:

+1
When I first came here I've never been on a forum, never browsed ebay, and was on craigslist maybe one time. I could barely use the internet. I've worked on a lot of stuff but had zero vmax knowledge and had no idea how to find it.

I asked newbie questions and they got answered. I was able to spend a good deal of time reading thru the forum and learned a lot. After awhile, I felt comfortable enough to throw my 2 cents in as I saw fit. I'm no vmax guru but id like to think I've added a few posts that may have been helpful. We all gotta start somewhere.

I honestly think many people simply haven't utilized a forum before so expecting them to search and find a solution on their own may be asking too much for some. Even those who frequent forums will often ask a question that has already been answered simply because they didn't target their search parameters efficiently. In the end a quick reply pointing them to the pre-existing thread never hurt anyone.

It is all good information, it maybe tedious to a long term member at times but a review every once in a while can be good for ones memory.

I don't think anyone will flame you m-cman, it's a good point to bring to remind people that we are all here for mutual benefit and enjoyment of our Vmax's.

Hey what type of oil do you all run ? Was is the best for a Vmax????
LMFAO. Just kidding. I was guilty of this when I first became a member after awhile of lurking in the background. But everyone was usually cool about it and showed me how to search. Maybe there should be a sticky on how to search the forum.

I had never been on a furm until this one. I learned early on what the search button was so that way i wasnt posting a question that had been asked yesterday...but everyone has to learn sometime...Mcman....I dont think anyone would flame you. This forum, and its members ROCK!!!

i'll be honest. helping noobs has it moments. shit i still consider me a noobie in certain aspects. at times i roll my eyes at some of the threads. but i think about the first days i started participating in the forum and recall feeling like a doofus after learning that my problems weren't unique and with some discipline could have found my answers by researching the forum a little more thoroughly despite being intimidated trying to understand the forum organization and helpless not knowing of an efficient manner for sorting through the heaps of knowledge. the search facility isn't the greatest (no fault of buster's--it's all that is available). i've come to also realize that not everyone has the same level of computer skills, which allowed me to adapt and learn the forum--as such i mold my opinion of the "same old same old" thread accordingly. i cherry-pick the threads started by newcomers asking faqs. i enjoy the sense of having helped a hooligan-in-training solidify his/her decision to join the brotherhood and feel in some way that i have lessened the regret that looms over the head as they look down in desperation at a non-functional ride. i don't fault the noobie, i was one too. i joined a forum centered around an entirely different interest last summer, and couldn't believe the negative reaction its members had after i asked a noobie question. this forum is exceptional--not only because of the wealth of knowledge, but also because of the members sincere fraternity for another vmax driver.

Last edited:
Maybe there should be a sticky on how to search the forum.

Hey, this is a great idea! :th_bfxbfxvfxv: Make it the first thing that shows up when signing in to the forum. Just bypass and go to area desired if not needed.

I guess it is a problem for me because I like to read everything on this forum and all the duplication takes so much time... :surf:

I always go to New Posts and read almost everything new. I know, need to get a life but I am and always have been a motorcycle nut. Riding since 1958 and can see the day approaching when I will have to change my ride to a trike or other type three-wheeler. Not something I am looking forward to. :Sad:

Thanks for all the civil responses. I in no way want to stop helping other members, just wanted to reduce the duplication... :confused2:

I don't know if it's possible here, but customfighters.com runs a similar vbulletin board system though it's a bit newer(4.2), and moderators can "force read" topics, essentially when you log in it automatically sends you to a thread. When I signed up there it went to a sticky with the general information about rules, how to search, read the stickies, what goes in each forum,ect.

Still it's the same deal there, there are lots of stickies that are info gold mines and people continue to ask the same basic questions again and again, though there usually someone posts a link to the sticky of interest and that's all that happens.

On the other hand I haven't seen a thread about motor oil, tires, or the weird noise it makes when you turn the key on in quite a while, so maybe my FAQ has curtailed some of this.

People here are very civil for the most part, as observed by Ninjaneer. He is one of the examples of members willing to help members, as he ran some parts for me from the Melbourne area to me, we met 1/2-way to south FL.

Yes, the search engine is useful, and w/prompting, the newbies can find what they need. Ryan's FAQ's helped, no doubta-'bout it. We all help when we have time.

I still don't carry a cell phone. It's conceivable that some people simply don't use forums enough to know all the caveats of searching, and perhaps don't have the time to sit and search. I don't mind reading, or answering about same old questions - if I'm on-line and have the time.

It's the questions about oil drain plug crush washers that bug me. ;)

I always go to New Posts...
+1. I do the same. Matter of fact my bookmark's "location" field is actually set to http://vmaxforum.net/search.php?do=getnew

...moderators can "force read" topics, essentially when you log in it automatically sends you to a thread....On the other hand I haven't seen a thread about motor oil, tires, or the weird noise it makes when you turn the key on in quite a while, so maybe my FAQ has curtailed some of this.
I have often thought that this would be a great idea, but didn't think it was possible. I think it would be beneficial for the newcomer, who quite possibly has never previously belong to an online forum, if the forum required the virgins to read your FAQ sticky (or at least make them aware of its existence) and a short tutorial on how things are organized, how to make use of the search facility, etc.

...On the other hand I haven't seen a thread about motor oil, tires, or the weird noise it makes when you turn the key on in quite a while, so maybe my FAQ has curtailed some of this.
Most definitely that FAQ thread has had a major role in the reduction of such posted topics.

It's pretty standard on every forum. However on some forums, the person who asks the question gets attacked by the forum members and basically chased off the board.

I see that way too much other places......not usually here which is nice......search mode only works so well and some people just don't try.........but i like the way some people here just paste the link to the thread for the question-er also....the info is so readily available......PRICELESS.....

Latest posts

Back