Bad shops

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainKyle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well here is another bad shop story. I had some one bring me this Max to work on & a shop told them that they cleaned & syned the carbs & took there money I took this thing for a ride and was like WTF ! I pulled it in & put it on the lift & pulled the carbs which had not been removed let alone cleaned & synced. They still had the brass plugs in the for the AF screws & looked like crap. I am not sure how some of thes people in these shops can sleep at night doing crap work. here are a few pics of these supossably freshly done carbs.

Attachments

• 89 Vmax carburetors 001.jpg
    89 Vmax carburetors 001.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 89 Vmax carburetors 002.jpg
    89 Vmax carburetors 002.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 89 Vmax carburetors 003.jpg
    89 Vmax carburetors 003.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 89 Vmax carburetors 004.jpg
    89 Vmax carburetors 004.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 89 Vmax carburetors 006.jpg
    89 Vmax carburetors 006.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 54
i . MAYBE , SAID V-MAX OWNER SHOULD GO BACK TO THE SHOP WITH THE CARBS IN HAND , A GUN AND THE RECEIPT ! .. :th_biggun:

you might want to take some better pics, them are kinda blurry. that really sucks man, i know i would be back there at that shop demanding my money back!!!!

i love redemption like that so let us know how it turns out eh?

El capatain...... how pretty makes me want to smile really big, but........... I don't like orange....

Gannon

I have no dog in this fight but live in this area so let me be the first to cast a stone. Sunsports Motorsports is the Yamaha dealer there. Huge beautiful new showroom. Ask for a brochure, there are none. "Go look up whatever you want online". Used bike dept,"We could maybe take off a hundred bucks but I'd have to go ask my manager". Service department, how much to completely disasseble and clean my carbs? $600 bucks, there's alot to take apart to get to those carbs, it has four carbs right?". I have no idea how a place like this stays open. I guess we live in a geographical area where people have more money than sense. It don't stop there. We also have five or six independent bike shops in town. They are constantly on Craigslist getting slammed by customers who were taken advantage of. One is recently out of business and sold Aprilia,Royal Enfield, and tha 3/4 sized chopper wanna bes with the funky motors. Two used bike shops all think they own the last bikes on earth. One defunct one had the manager yelling at me because I took a bike (FJR 1300) for a test ride and my cash offer wasn't enough for him. I'll drive/trailer my bike to CaptainKyles 2.5 hrs, Boxenstopp 5 hrs or ship to Damon Ferriaolo's 1,200 miles or Seans 1,500 mi before any of these crooks, scam artists and outright incompetent boobs lay a finger on my Vmax.

This is terrible. And, exactly why stealerships will never get another dime from my unless for something simple like.....a tshirt or something.

This is why when you find a real bike tech like Captain Kyle you stick with them! I see this all the time in the transmission business, sometimes the shop is messing with a trans they don't know anything about, other times I have taken apart transmissions that high dollar parts the customer has paid for were never installed at all! "One good thing is bad news travels allot faster than the compliments,so shops like this should not last long!"

Bill

These carbs scare a lot of mechanics as does some of the other work like valve adjustments. I've got a handle on the carbs now. It took having a spare set before I dove in and really did what was necessary on SkulllDuggery...

I have a select few people that ever touch my bikes. The very first bike I had, needed a rear tire (43 years ago). I took it to the dealer and had the tire installed. The rear wheel locked up on the highway and nearly killed me. The mechanic left a spacer out when he put it back on the bike. So, I'd rather have 450 hours in my latest bike than take it to God knows who at a dealer... I know of 3 Motorcycle Mechanics that I'll allow to touch my rides. Kyle, Bull and Irish.... All Local... That's it. Everything else, I DO.....

Kyle, you're gonna get busier than crap with what comes out of this thread. My Buddy that worked for Cycle-Rama's still trying to find work. He's got apps in at 2 Harley Dealers. Maybe you'll need to expand your scope soon, he's a good back up wrench if you should need him... LMK.

These carbs scare a lot of mechanics as does some of the other work like valve adjustments. I've got a handle on the carbs now. It took having a spare set before I dove in and really did what was necessary on SkulllDuggery...

I have a select few people that ever touch my bikes. The very first bike I had, needed a rear tire (43 years ago). I took it to the dealer and had the tire installed. The rear wheel locked up on the highway and nearly killed me. The mechanic left a spacer out when he put it back on the bike. So, I'd rather have 450 hours in my latest bike than take it to God knows who at a dealer... I know of 3 Motorcycle Mechanics that I'll allow to touch my rides. Kyle, Bull and Irish.... All Local... That's it. Everything else, I DO.....

Kyle, you're gonna get busier than crap with what comes out of this thread. My Buddy that worked for Cycle-Rama's still trying to find work. He's got apps in at 2 Harley Dealers. Maybe you'll need to expand your scope soon, he's a good back up wrench if you should need him... LMK.
Thanks Dave ! I have a buddy that works for Tampa Harley he actually came over & done some work yesterday. I have plenty of work today & a crap load of stuff to box up & mail out. Oh and I did find out the starter clutch is bad in the 89 that I bought. I told the guy I bought it from this was the problem & he told me no & kept wanting me to talk to his Mechanic. I said no thinks I can fix it.

Spare Mechanics, Spare Starters. Man, I can't help you with anything....

But, I can take better pictures.......:rofl_200:

Spare Mechanics, Spare Starters. Man, I can't help you with anything....

But, I can take better pictures.......:rofl_200:
LOL Yeah that camera is old & sucks and starts taking pictures as soon as you turn it on. I will be buying a new one really soon. Christines takes bad ass pictures but the PC wont recognize it for some reason. You can & have helped a few times. I had some electrical issues yesterday that needed taken care of & I hate doing electrical & this guy loves it & is a wiz at it so I was doing mechanical stuff while he was wiring.

I think the title of this thread should read:

Bad shops and an even worse camera... lol

That's TOTAL B.S. I don't know how people can steal like that. What did they do then? Stick some seafoam in it and call it a tune-up? WTF?

Chris

I think the title of this thread should read:

Bad shops and an even worse camera... lol

That's TOTAL B.S. I don't know how people can steal like that. What did they do then? Stick some seafoam in it and call it a tune-up? WTF?

Chris
I think they took the air box off & sprayed some carb cleaner down it. They did not even atttach the air hosed back to the air box they were ran under the frame & stuffed under the scoops. Oh & I am up for donations for a new camera.LOL

You are a service shop as well Kyle.

As always happens, even though I'm sure you are a stellar tech and offer great work at the right price, eventually you will be the topic of some pissed off customer that will rave about it on the 'net and all the rest of the dealership bashers will come out of the woodwork for a crack at you... LOL! :biglaugh:

Hang tight and weather the storm, it will happen eventually. Even if you never do anything wrong. It is inevitable. :punk:

Ask me how I know...
G Man

Latest posts

Back